Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Water Resistance

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Time and time again we have asked you people to make the device Water Proof.

Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that there are water sports/activities.

Can I wear my Blaze while swimming?

Fitbit Blaze is rain, sweat, and splash proof. We recommend that you do not swim or shower while wearing Blaze.

Moderator Edit: Edited post title for clarity.

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner Waterproofing comes at the cost of altimeter function - air pressure is used to determine things like elevation change, and fully sealing the device prevents this from working. Since our trackers aren't designed to accurately track swimming, there's not much benefit to full waterproofing, especially at the cost of other features. All our trackers are water resistant - Blaze won't be harmed if you wear it in the rain, or if it gets splashed.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Hey everyone, just want to reference this post from @MatthewFitbit. Waterproofing a device would come at the cost of the altimeter, and our trackers are not designed to accurately track swimming.

I want to continue to emphasize that Blaze is water resistant, meaning rain/sweat/splash proof. It's best not to shower or swim with Blaze.

There's definitely potential for a waterproof Fitbit tracker to exist, but only time will tell.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
364 REPLIES 364

What good is tracking all other sport activities and not tracking water activities? I was given a Charger for Christmas and wear it all the time. What good is the tracker when I have to take it off for swimming? I will not purchase any upgrades until your engineers produce a product that is universal to all water born sports as well. Until then, your sales to me will be zero. DPS

Best Answer

You’re comparing a fitness tracker / smartwatch (with touchscreen, multiple sensors etc.) to an ordinary watch. 

Why don’t you compare it to an Apple watch?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Just because "people" want it doesn't mean that anyone has to make it for them. I've no idea what the market numbers for waterproofing are but presumably they aren't high enough to justify the effort.

There's a post from @MatthewFitbit on this topic in the main Blaze thread giving a few of the thoughts behind that decision if you're interested.

@RonnieS wrote:

Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that there are water sports/activities.

Because insulting people is clearly the way to persuade them to do what you want!

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer

I know it's not an ideal solution and I don't know how well it works, but WaterFi provides a waterproofing service for the Flex and the Charge HR. This doesn't really help for the Blaze but do you know how much a waterproof touchscreen costs? No way could you get the Blaze for $200 and expect it to be completely waterproof.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Waterproofing comes at the cost of altimeter function - air pressure is used to determine things like elevation change, and fully sealing the device prevents this from working. Since our trackers aren't designed to accurately track swimming, there's not much benefit to full waterproofing, especially at the cost of other features. All our trackers are water resistant - Blaze won't be harmed if you wear it in the rain, or if it gets splashed.

Best Answer

Have you ever heard of adventure racing or triathlons ? Hell even some of the trail runs i do have waist high water crossings ! Ever slipped on slippery rocks first thing you do is use your hands to gain balance. Waterproofing should be a norm for any fitness tracker.

Best Answer

Maybe but then all of us who don't need that feature will have to look elsewhere for a cheaper option since I doubt we'd pay the axtra that waterproofing would probably introduce.

Fitbit have chosen their market and, unfortunately for some, it isn't the waterproofed tracker market.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer

How the hell do tomtom manage to make a fitness tracker with altimeter and it can track swimming.

Stay motivated and reach your running goals with the TomTom Runner Multisport HRM/GPS watch. Get easy access to the information you need to track your running, cycling and swimming progress. The watch features an indoor tracker, vibration alerts and one-button control. Sync, analyse and share your stats on popular sport sites and apps.

Date display

Alarm

Altimeter

Average battery time

Analaogue or Digital Face

illumination

GPS enabled

High sensitivity receiver

Yes
Yes
Yes
Up to 10 hours (GPS Mode)
Digital
Yes
Yes

Yes

Best Answer

In this context, respectfully, who cares?

It sounds like Fitbit have decided not to challenge for that bit of the market. They're the ones who's livlihoods depend on that decision and they're the ones who've made the investment. No-one else really has any justification (in my view) for complaining about what the company have decided to do with their own assets.

All we have to do is decide whether to buy or not to buy. Ultimately, that's the only way we will have any influence over future design decisions.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

Saying it is waterproof would also be against current laws tgat were set up for mechanical watches in the middle '60s. It was rulled that you cant say waterproof anymore, it must be stated water resistant  to X feet, X ATM, or X meters.

I still clearly remember the many descusions about tjis rulling.

Best Answer

I like wearing it all the time. Showering and in a down pour. But they say not for showering. 

Best Answer

Correct. It it's like the other current model trackers then the Blaze should survive the experience but it won't do your skin any good. Having said that, not all of the current trackers always do survive a shower as a search on this forum will tell you.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
In my opinion, there is another use case to make the Blaze waterproof ... I have a flex and a water-resistant (non-smart) watch. I thought I could reduce to 1 thing on my wrist with the Blaze and stop removing my tracker before swimming. But I need to know the time when swimming (to time my laps, to know when I'm expected to get out of the water, ...). No Blaze for me then 😞 But make it waterproof and I'll leave my Flex in the drawer immediately!
Best Answer

You want to compare it with a Apple watch 🙂 ? Srsly ?

Best Answer

@deepest@jepoirrierThanks for your feedback. I will make sure it reaches the appropriate team as we take all feedback into consideration when improving our products and services. Thank you.

@Double_DCorrect, Fitbit Blaze is sweat, rain and splash proof, but is not swim proof. We recommend taking it off before showering, as it’s best for your skin if the band stays dry and clean.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Why can't Fitbit just make an accessory to make the Blaze waterproof?  If the accessory is used, then the user knows that the altimeter will not function.  Allow for the user to make the choice when it's needed and when it's not needed.  Just a thought.

Best Answer
In all honesty, it's probably because they think they can sell a sufficient quantity without the extra costs of designing and manufacturing an additional component. Having said that, a plastic box to put the Blaze in would possibly be a pretty ugly thing.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

The Blaze is removable.  So, I think it's just a matter of slipping it into a waterproof casing.  

Best Answer
Agreed. I doubt the casing would be made by Fitbit but that wouldn't stop someone else making one I assume.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer