Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze not counting all steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am on my 2nd Blaze. Both have started out accurate but after a few months it stops tracking all of my steps. I have a job where I walk quite a bit and I noticed my numbers going down significantly. I started counting out each 100 steps and it is only measuring between 60-80 steps out of each 100. Is anyone else having this problem or can guide me? I have turned it off, shut it down, resynced it but nothing seems to work. Fitbit replaced my first one in June.

Best Answer
69 REPLIES 69

@WhattheFaulkner restarting probably will not correct any missing steps in the past but should restart the tracker allowing it to count the rest of the day correctly. I would also do restarts or swipe over to settings and do a shutdown. 

Sorry @CarenCbak I've heard the same thing about the AW. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WhattheFaulkner restarting probably will not correct any missing steps in the past but should restart the tracker allowing it to count the rest of the day correctly. I would also do restarts or swipe over to settings and do a shutdown. 

Sorry @CarenCbak I've heard the same thing about the AW. But since the big A company has a monopoly on its hardware, firmware, I would expect the connection thing to be smoother. They are not trying to connect their AW thing to a thousand different phones from many different manufacturers that have not written their own OS. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ditched the FitBit. Bought an AppleWatch. 

Best Answer

This  as well. I'm sick and tired of this going on and hopefully that will update the software I've just taken my blaze off and I'm now using an old One. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

i am having the same issue! was hoping to find a resolution on here. so frustrating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is a frustration. Today I walked 3.1 miles with the  March of Dimes group and my grandchildren. My fitbit Blaze registered 1.5 miles at the end of the walk. It is massively inconsistent and rarely counts accurate steps or distance. I have reset it, adjusted stride length.....not improving.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your Fitbit does not count miles, it counts steps, miles being off does not mean the step count is off. 

I see no mention that you where using the connected GPS and see the resulting map of your walk, I'm going to assume that GPS was not used .

Let's look at step count. and test the accuracy. We want to go for a short walk, no phone needed, no music, no holding anything but a sheet of paper and pencil in your none Fitbit hand. 

We want to turn on the walk mode recording and start walking letting the arms swing naturally. 

I like to start with my left leg and count every right foot step. I do this several times .stopping on left foot, then double the count for the total step count. Write the results on the paper. 

Ex: 

100 right steps equal 200 walking steps. 

150 right steps equal 300 walking steps. 

250 = 500

500 = 1000

Yes I do each of the above and record true steps and steps the tracker counted. This way I will look for a pattern. 

Is it accurate?

If not, is it off by the same count each time?

Maybe always 20 steps low? 

Is it off by a percentage, and what is the percentage? Maybe we find the tracker is off by 5 steps for every 100 steps taken. 

Now that we have confirmed the accuracy of the step counting we need to set up the walking stride. 

I can go into this later but the formula

Is. 

Temp = TrueDistance / FitbitDistance

CorrectStride = CurrentStride *Temp

A calculated may be used. 

You see the Fitbit counts steps then uses this count and the users stridesto take a guess at the distance. If Fitbit does not know the users stride, the distance will always be off. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
The GPS was not used, you are correct. The number of steps for the 3.1 Miles was ridiculously low, however. I will try this, but I see that distance is in your formula and you said that it doesn’t measure distance, just steps. Do I need to measure my stride to get distance?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I walk on a track that has registered lanes for all 3....  15 laps for 1 mile.... I recently went from 2 miles five days a week to 4.... still ready 2 not 4... have had my blaze for over a year?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok.... just did the restart... will see if that's the problem.... thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes