Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428
Thanks.  You've just confirmed for me that Connected GPS is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It's advertised as using your phone's GPS to track pace and distance, just as if your tracker had GPS, but in truth, it's just giving you a map at the end of your run. Who cares?  I'm HUGELY disappointed in Fitbit as this borders on false advertising. I'll be returning my Blaze today and finding another tracker. 

Todd Hickerson
m 214.500.1185
Best Answer
What did you think it was. Not a sarcastic question….
I have the Fitbit Surge and Blaze and the Garmin Fenix 3 HR. They all do the same exact thing. They just use different tools (maps) to give you the info you want. Trust me when I say I have my issues with Fitbit ! Their customer service makes me want to commit a felonious crime, but their trackers are pretty decent and accurate for the most part. Every electronic device has its flaws. The flaws of ANY device are a compilation of its components. Connected GPS uses your phone…….so if the tracker APPEARS to be faulty or incorrect, blame the phone or the carrier.
If you have further questions, please ask. I, unfortunately, have spent too much money on many devices, but pride myself on forwarding information to prevent others from doing the same. Enjoy your weekend.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks. Totally understand you're not being sarcastic, but trying to help. So, I just assumed from what I'd read on the website, in the 101 guide, and in the community forum that Connected GPS would "allow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS."  I guess that led me to believe I'd be getting realtime distance from GPS, not stride length. As great as that feature would be, I guess that's not the case.  Looks like I need to work on my stride length. Thanks. 
Todd Hickerson
m 214.500.1185
Best Answer
0 Votes

My understanding is that whether you use "connected GPS" or you use the "MobileRun" feature on the Fitbit app, your steps are taken from the tracker and your distance and pace from the GPS on the phone app.  This is the information Fitbit has provided.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I walk a set mile, if the GPS phone connection is on, it says a mile give or take, since I may not walk in a straight line .
The same walk without the GPS on, says a different amount because my stride is very short and I have not bothered to fix that
Best Answer

That's what I thought, but if that's the case, then I've had three consecutive trackers (two Charge 2's and a Blaze) that don't work. None of them gave me correct distance or pace. I know because I measured the distance with my car and Strava's route planner and tracked the same runs with Strava and Fitbit's own MobileRun feature.  Every three mile run or walk I did with Connected GPS showed 2.3 miles. Five mile runs showed four miles on the Charge 2 and Blaze. There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding this issue which is made worse because their customer suppport reps have no clue. They just keep telling me to return my device and get a new one. I wish Fitbit would set things straight for us. 

Moderator edit: Personal Information Removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@docwatkins wrote:
..but the next problem is why I move to (Connected GPS) trackers. Battery life is destroyed ! Using the GPS on the Surge will use the battery up in hours, not days.

So the GPS on the Surge is on all the time? Doesn't make sense. The GPS should only be in use when it's needed to track an activity, ie walk, run. That being the case, using the GPS just when tracking an activity should not deplete the battery in hours. Unless you're running for several hours at a time, it should not adversely affect the battery for the day. If someone can't get through a day using the tracker with the GPS during a cardio session, it sounds like a hardware issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@advoWade I think @docwatkins s saying that whioehe uses GPS to track a run the battery goes dead in an  hours 

I find that on the Surge istill get 8  hours with pllenty to spare . Something my phone cant do 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@advoWade, no the GPS on Surge is only on when you turn it on.  It will run for 5ish days with GPS off (depending on usage) and about 8-10 hours with GPS on -- which is much better than either my Microsoft Band 2 or my Garmin (though the Garmin is several years old).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G wrote:

@advoWade, no the GPS on Surge is only on when you turn it on.  It will run for 5ish days with GPS off (depending on usage) and about 8-10 hours with GPS on -- which is much better than either my Microsoft Band 2 or my Garmin (though the Garmin is several years old).

Again, this is terrible battery life. If the Surge will last 5 days with no GPS usage, shouldn't the battery last....say 3 days with intermediate GPS usage? The GPS is only being utilized during a GPS activity, right? The GPS is not running constantly, so why would the battery only last 8-10 hours if you just use it for an activity?

At least with my Band 2, I know I'm going to charge it daily, regardless if I use a gps-activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@advoWade, are you actually using a Surge or asking because you are considering it?

If you don't use the GPS at all it will last about 5 days.  It will last 8-10 hours using the GPS continuously.  Obviously if you use the GPS for only an hour or two, or less than the full capacity, then the battery will last somewhere in between 5 days and 10 hours -- depending on your usage!  This isn't rocket science...

What exactly is your question?  Or do you just want to assert the battery is terrible?  I have a Microsoft Band 2 and a top of the range Garmin product and the Surge battery lasts longer -- much longer.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
No, the GPS doesn’t stay on all the time, just when the user activates the GPS tracking portion of the tracker. Everyone is different. The Surge’s built-in GPS depletes the battery quite a bit. If yours lasts longer, good for you. Mine however, when GPS tracking, drops the battery significantly. Yeah, it would probably last through the day or a little more, but not much more. That’s MY experience.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G wrote:

@advoWade, are you actually using a Surge or asking because you are considering it?

If you don't use the GPS at all it will last about 5 days.  It will last 8-10 hours using the GPS continuously.  Obviously if you use the GPS for only an hour or two, or less than the full capacity, then the battery will last somewhere in between 5 days and 10 hours -- depending on your usage!  This isn't rocket science...

What exactly is your question?  Or do you just want to assert the battery is terrible?  I have a Microsoft Band 2 and a top of the range Garmin product and the Surge battery lasts longer -- much longer.  

I like the design of the Surge and was considering it, but noticed it lacked the notifications I need.

I was simply trying to get some clarification on how using the gps, just while tracking an activity, because afterwards the gps is not in use, could reduce the battery from 5 days to hours. Yes, I agree that using the gps continuously would drain the battery. But in what scenario would someone use the gps all day? The gps is only going to be active during an activity, other than that, it's not being utilized.

I agree the battery life on the Band 2 stinks. But I can workout for an hour +/-, do some cardio, get my notifications and still get through the day. Yeah it will need to be charged at the end of the day, but I can get through a 14hr day of usage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @advoWade, I'm still not clear whether you have a Surge and are having trouble with it, or you are trying to get information, but I will try again.

The Surge will last about 5 days with no GPS and about 8 hours using GPS continuously.  So if you use it mostly without GPS for one day, and for 2 hours of that day you turn on GPS, you will probably have used up about half the battery at the end of the day.  You will certainly get through the day, and very likely the next day too (assuming you don't use more GPS) -- although Fitbit's advice is that if you have turned on GPS you will probably want to do a charge as soon as is next convenient, and I have always taken that advice. 

Obviously battery life will also depend on personal usage -- email, text messages, phone notifications, how often you sync etc.

And actually there are many scenarios in which you might want to use GPS for a number of hours in the day.  Since my marathon running time is a rather slow 5 hours, I was looking for a device that could reliably last at least that long in case I decided to have another go.  My experience with both my Garmin and Microsoft Band 2 is they die in less than 5 hours with GPS on.  But the Surge will last.

I hope this clarifies.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you explain it why you believe that pace and distance information is calculated by stride length and step count? I haven't used my Blaze several weeks because I use a FR35 now. But I remember that the distance shown on the Blaze after a run was the same as in the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, the distance shown on the watch and the app are the same. But they are not taken from the GPS so they must be taken from the watch. EDIT:

Attached is a picture of the exact same run mapped using my Blaze with connected GPS and my Map My Run app at the same time. The map my run app ran a few seconds longer due to having to get my phone from my backpack and unlock my phone. I know the MMR app is correct as this is a measured course I use for training. As you can see the pace info and the distance from the Blaze are completely useless. comparison.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a bit confused. My stride length settings are on automatic. But there are values in the fields. Where is the running value from? A few months ago (with Charge HR) I had set a stride length for running, but that is overwritten now. Distance and pace weren't way off compared to my running app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My battery drains to more than half with use of GPS in blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Battery from Blaze or battery from phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@The_LionMy understanding your auto run stride is being changed by Connected GPS.

I would be interested to know what speed you were running to achieve that. I'm awaiting an answer from Fitbit because I cannot get the Auto Run Stride to change. The walking stride is probably 0.415 x height for males or 0.413 for females.

@The_Lion wrote:

I'm a bit confused. My stride length settings are on automatic. But there are values in the fields. Where is the running value from? A few months ago (with Charge HR) I had set a stride length for running, but that is overwritten now. Distance and pace weren't way off compared to my running app.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes