Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

My Blaze kept telling me to check the app when connecting for runs, but the app gave me no further information.

I stepped outside and voila, it worked. So if anyone is having issues connecting and they're inside, hopefully just stepping outside (better gps maybe) will help your problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have noticed that if location is not turned on, or the GPs on the phone can't get a lock, then i get the dreaded "Check your App".

There is sometimes to much interference indoors, or too thick a cloud cover while outside. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
@EmersonFitbit in step 2 of what we require for GPS to work. "Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities". What is the list of of "compatible" devices?
Best Answer
0 Votes

An interactive list can be found at www.fitbit.com/devices

Best Answer
I just used the GPS connect and it said my four-mile fun was 2.4 miles, yet the dashboard is showing a more accurate mileage. I'm using the iPhone 5S. Any ideas?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Does anyone simultaneously use the Blaze GPS connect and another phone tracking app like Runkeeper? Without any issues? Does anyone note data tracking discrepancies?
I'm noticing mileage and pace differences with the Blaze recording a slower pace and shorter distance than Runkeeper. The Blaze is consistently off by .12 to .16 miles. I guess I can live with that, but the pace discrepancies are out of hand.
I'm am noticing a 30 sec. to 34 sec. difference in my average pace, with the Blaze slower than Runkeeper. My Blaze current pace exhibits a slower varying difference as expected. I know the phone transmits the data to the Blaze display, but this is a huge lag time.

I've setup Blaze GPS connect correctly and I'm using it correctly on my Galaxy S3 Android version 4.4.2. My GPS signal is very good. Under Blaze run, walk, hike, "Use phone GPS" is set "on". I have the Blaze paired with phone Bluetooth. I also have Bluetooth classic set "off", as I use Bluetooth earbuds or the phone for music control at this point. When DCRainmaker website released his review, I thought a duplication of this problem might be revealed. It was not. I hope I've posted in the appropriate thread. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Side note:
As each week passes, I'm getting more underwhelmed with the Blaze.
The Surge was excellent, but the device and band were too bulky on my arm for wear with all clothing...I could only shove it so far up my arm and still easily access it. I don't want to have to own/wear two fitbit devices. The Blaze low profile is the one upside saving it at the moment. Hoping the supposed late March Blaze update comes through giving it all the pre order advertised features.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I still cannot seem to get connected GPS working on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini): Blaze connects to the phone successfully but I do not get the additional data (GPS track, splits). I only get the basic heart rate/calorie burn data.

I have tried the following:

1. Restarting Blaze.

2. Restarting the phone.

3. Turning notifications on and off.

4. Deleting Blaze in Fitbit app on the phone, then pairing it again.

5. Setting Locating method in the phone's settings to both "High accuracy" and "GPS only"

And still no luck 😞 Any ideas on what else to try?

Best Answer
0 Votes

When you open the fitbit app, does the phone show as properly connected , like the picture below )including the light blue connection icon)?  If not the phone is not properly paired with the Blaze.

When you try to a 'gps related exercise' is the fitbit app is running ?

Screenshot_2016-03-15-20-51-06.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, the app does display the icon, "Connected" is written there. Also, sync is working well.

2016-03-15 19.56.07.png

Yes, the app is running when I start a run/walk exercise on Blaze. Otherwise, Blaze would not be displaying it has found the phone I guess.

Best Answer
I noticed the iPhone and Fitbit connection fails when the iPhone does a task such as notification of a text. For example, I did a 9-mile mountain bike ride this evening, but the app recorded only the first 1.8 miles. This needs to be fixed. I had previously used a Scoche heart rate monitor paired with Digifit and it never failed like this. Is there a fix for this?
Best Answer

@AuntBB you should check this thread out

Best Answer

Not a single fix yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Cracker65,
Thanks much! Someone dropped the ball in development and testing. I'd like an update attempting to fix these issues before the end of the 30 day return policy. Otherwise, I'm going to be forced to retur@Cracker65,
Thanks much. Someone dropped the ball in development and testing...or not. I'd like an update to fix these issues before the end of the 30 day return policy. Otherwise, I'm going to be forced to return my Blaze
Best Answer
0 Votes

True, I noticed that every time I have a connection issue, it is after a notification has arrived,

I receive a couple of phone alert or text notifications, and then, neither the notifications work, neither the gps connection.  I reset the phone and then it works fine.

I think this is a bug of the app, and I agree, it should be fixed.

Best Answer
I just used connected GPS and it worked beautifully -- BUT, how can you check the time (actual time of day, not elapsed time/workout time) while using connected GPS? I couldn't figure it out. Fitbit Blaze is a smart watch, after all... I should be able to see the time, right?!
Best Answer

@Lisa_ You sure can!

Just tap on the primary stat, and you'll cycle through steps, pace, etc., until you reach clock! Should look like this:

clock_0290.JPG

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer

Howdy,

Is it just me or is the GPS all over the place? I walked in a straight line with one or two 90 degree turns in London Victoria to Belgravia but the GPS map has jumped all over the place like a child crayoning a wall! Anyone else experienced this? (the GPS not the crayoning!)

RBA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find the Blaze through connecting to the GPS of my phone to be quite accurate.  I am crayoning all over the place when walking the dogs (who are zig zagging from one tree to the rest) - but when I am walking on my own, it shows me walking a straight line.

However, when I was using the SUrge (which uses in-built GPS) I was shown on the map walking on the roofs of the buidlings, or occassionally a couple of blocks away from where I would normally walk.

I also used Charge HR which I was activating through the 'track my exercise' from the App.  This was as accurate as I am now with the Blaze.

In summary, with the exception of the Surge, all my fitbit smartwatches/activity trackers which are connecting to the GPS of the phone (samsung galaxy S5) are fairly accurate.

Which Fitbit device are you using? And which phone?

Best Answer
0 Votes
The new Blaze and a Samsung Galaxy Note II.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm using Fitbit Blaze on a Windows Phone. Lumia 1020 with W10

Sent from my Windows 10 phone
Best Answer
0 Votes