Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

We haven't our Dick Tracy watch yet..

Smiley HappyI was in the Supermarket the other day, paid with Fitbit Pay on the Ionic and a dear lady asked me did I remember Dick Tracy comics........Can you talk into it......?

dick tracy.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39wrote:

We haven't our Dick Tracy watch yet..

we do! (but not from Fitbit)

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbarreraI didn't want to mention the "darkside".... but in the same local shop the next day.. A register on each side, two of us paid.. The lady with the Apple Watch and me with the Fitbit.. We did what our Wheelchair tennis champion did, put our arm up and said, "How good was that...." with laughter from others..

Because the Fitbit ads on the Australian Open Tennis were prolific over a fortnight. The theme was "How good was that !", as our Quad Wheelchair champion threw up his arm showing the green tick on the watch after paying for an egg sandwich ..

He has won the trophy for the last 4 years.. He was born with a tumor on his lower spine and has been a paraplegic all his life, now a motivational speaker, Olympic Basketball Gold medalist and the list goes on..

Dylan Alcott to celebrate Australian Open win with a $7 egg sandwich

dylan Allcot.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just read the first item in this post.  My blaze and phone worked together fine, connecting GPS and mapping, for runs, walks, and bike rides then suddenly it became only occasionally then not at all.  In your post it says the app must be open to connect to GPS when starting an activity. Not something that I have seen before and this is my third Fitbit generation device really 4th or 5th in the house. That appears to work here at home and we will see out in the real world...but my actual question is what changed or what setting did I change.  Phone is GPS enabled etc etc...never was a problem before.  

Also, is there a way to improve the accuracy of the GPS mapping?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Popsfleming there have been reports that on iOS the app needs to be open, on Android it is enough to have notification services running. No need to have the Fitbit app open.

On iOS some have reported that the phone must be connected to the internet when starting the gps. after starting internet may be disconnected. Not the case for android.

When we are asking about connected gps, we need to be aware that there are three different phone OS's and they seem to act slightly different.

As for improving the accuracy, check your phones location services, and try to stay away from buildings trees or heavy cloud cover. 

Best Answer
I using a Samsung j7 v so definitely Android and at the beach in the OC so
plenty of cell service. Worked today with app opened. Also when finished
with the exercise it stays connected to the phone and won't drop the gps,
per a message on the phone, it has always done that. I have to cycle the
Bluetooth or my battery dies quickly.

Val Fleming
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have owned both a Surge and a Blaze The Surge was great as it had a built in GPS Unfortunately it seems the Surge couldn't handle the cold and started to fog up and now doesn't work. Both my watches were setup to download to my computer through windows 10. I am now trying to connect my blaze to my iPhone which is compatible. My phone connects to the Blaze but the Blaze will not connect to my phone. Do I need to reset the Blaze software to connect to the phone. I keep getting "check fitbit app" message.

Any help would be appreciated. L

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does your Blaze show up as l a trusted Bluetooth device @23844 

Best Answer
Yes, but for the last 7 months I have been using other apps for GPS, I am
not wasting my time with the blaze gps
Best Answer
0 Votes