Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

@bbarreraThanks for highlighting that. I have edited the post and added the words "no connection issues that I can see".

Yes, there are distance issues that many of us are trying to work out. On that simple 400m lap the initial maps showed the same 400m and then after syncing the 2nd map shows 470m.

Also there was some juggling on the server because it had synced two concurrent Exercises at about the same time. as you can see from this Activity Log. I added the Activity Records to attempt to see what the real outcome was and that is affected by the lack of a seconds field in the input area.

What I did was something that any computer programmer could not plan for unless they attempted to allow for a multi function device.  This is only a small sample and the 486 steps are correct so when I do my triangular, measured course I will use MapMyRun

Concurrent 30mar17.jpg

Mobile and Blaze 30mar17.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

To eliminate any Fitbit server shenanigans you should have each on a separate Fitbit account 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbarrera I will use MobileRun independently next test and then the Blaze on the second test.

I have an account for each Fitbit.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue and @wxchick, as I mentioned above "GPS will not be turned on" is not an error message and has nothing to do with permissions.  It is a message that appears when you are updating your Smart Track preferences on the app.  It is to remind you that you cannot use GPS with automatically detected activities.

@wxchick as Rick mentions, to use GPS with your Blaze you can select certain exercise shortcuts that you have loaded on your Blaze and initiate GPS connection from there.

Run, walk, hike, bike and Golf all have GPS available to use as long as you track them using your shortcuts from your Blaze and NOT SmartTrack.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I want to track my biking on my Blaze.  I am having problems.  Do I need to open the fitbit app on my phone before going out for a ride.  I have Strava too and open that on my phone. 

I wear my Blaze and I get a message on it saying check the fitbit app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It probably drpends on the phone, with the Blaze i dont need to have Fitbit un memory, but Fitbit notifications need to be running

With the Charge 2 i don't need the app open or even running, but i do need the app in memory.

Best Answer

I'm a new fitbit users (Blaze) and love the design, setup and features.

But - today my first run, I selected Exercise, Run, clicked the screen and got the dreaded 'Check Fitbit app' message. there is a small red icon showing no connection to phone - but I know its connected as I can sync it and see the message 'synced 1 minute ago'.   I didn't know the app had to be running on my phone.  So back into the car - fiddle with the phone - bluetooth on - check, GPS on - check, FitBit App running - check - Fitbit Paired to Phone - check.

Still 'Check Fitbit app' message with the 'no connection' symbol.  I hit start anyway did the run and found it did record my distance - not sure how?  Disappointing as I hate fiddling with software when out on the bike or on my first run ever.  I know relies on the phone's GPS - smart idea - but if the phone app has to be running too - why don't I just use the app - why do I need the Blaze?  But of course I don't want a phone app - I want a wrist watch telling me whats happening.  Wonder if perhaps the Phone doesn't have a good GPS Signal so even though everything is connected and GPS turned on - there might still not be a good GPS signal.  I live way out of town!  Rant over - thanks for reading LOL!.  

Best Answer

Make sure that there are no power saving settings that prevent the Fitbit app running in background.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see all kinds of info in your post @JamesStarChaser, but I don't see any mention of the type of phone, which is where the probleen is. 

Best Answer

Hi, @JamesStarChaser, you need to have internet (data or wifi) in order to make the initial GPS connection (after that it is not required).  Could that be the problem you are having?

You mention that your phone syncs with your Fitbit, and therefore it should be compatible with Connected GPS -- that is true!  However some people have more trouble than others, and it may be the some phones work better with the Fitbit than others, although I have not seen consistent reports.  I know that I used a phone that was definitely listed as compatible, but I had inconsistent results with using Connected GPS -- sometimes it would connect, and sometimes it would not.  Sometimes I would see the "check Fitbit app" 3 or 4 times, and on the 5th try it would connect.

Sometimes I would get a connection throughout my run, but quite often the connection would break after 5, 10 or 15 minutes, and I would only get a partial map of my run.

For that reason I gave up using the Connected GPS feature.  I prefer the older Surge or new Ionic for running (and biking).

However, as you note, even without the GPS your Blaze will give you your distance and pace etc, so if you don't care about a map this should work fine for you.  If you don't use the GPS feature your distance will be calculated using the number of steps multiplied by your running stride.  (You can adjust your stride settings, if desired, on your app, under account --> advanced settings.)

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Try switching Wi-Fi off on phone, sometimes helps with connection.😀

dhywb ?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Have had this Phone Not Found issue ever since the firmware "upgrade". Phone is Moto Z Force, which I am told is not on their supported phone list. The only Motorola phones supported are ones that came out two or more years ago. I am about done with this Blaze and Fitbit in general. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks Julie!
Yes I think now I'll just let it calculate on steps.  I don't need the map and don't need high accuracy on distance either.  An accurate time and approx' distance will do me.
I was hoping to bike with it too and for biking I really do like an accurate distance because average speed is a core biking number for me.
The laughable thing is - I am a systems support guy - and I really have little patience for software that doesn't work well  :-).  
Thanks again!
James

Sent from my Samsung device
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Rich
My phone is a Galaxy Note 4.
I've now gotten it to work a couple of times  - but takes a lot of persuasion :-).
When I'm running (just started running) or riding I don't like to fiddle with the tech.  I always set everything up before I head out.  If it doesn't work when I need it - its got a short life span!  LOL!
Thanks 
James

Sent from my Samsung device
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just an update for anyone else having GPS connected issues.

I have come to realize the following:

The GPS Connected feature is only as good as your phone.

If you phone is new and always has reliable GPS - its probably going to work great for you.

My phone has intermittent GPS even on the outskirts of Vancouver.

To reduce fiddling do this:  you are about to run or ride:

Check bluetooth is turned on - on the Blaze.

Turn off bluetooth and GPS on your phone.

Turn GPS and bluetooth back on - on your phone.

Now hit the Exercise button on your Blaze.

Now choose run bike or other activity.

Now hit start.

That's what works best for me.

However my phone then often loses GPS somewhere along the way - I can't blame the Blaze for that!

I think having looked at the $500 and $600 dollars and up Garmin's and GPS Watches, 

the Blaze is great on features - but GPS is a function of your phone.

I will use it with GPS Turned off in future.

I'd rather it approximated my run or ride than lost it in the middle (because then, your daily data is skewed as well).  I think its a great sports watch just the same.

Best Answer
i had a new phone galaxy s7 and it never worked right with the blaze
Best Answer
0 Votes

I  don’t know how to have my Fitbit speak to me while I am riding my bike. Meaning, how many miles I’m up to, speed and timing. Can you help me with this? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I can help you. There is not such function.

Best Answer
N

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Blaze. I forgot to mention which Fitbit I have.

Best Answer
0 Votes