Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

Yes, it seems to be changed by connected GPS. So it must work somehow. Other way the field would be empty or my old stride length would be there.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@The_LionThanks for the quick response. I didn't mention that Fitbit advise us that "we must run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes to achieve the auto run stride change".

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know why it changed from a fix stride length to auto. Obviously because I use GPS. And yes, my runs are longer than 10 minutes. Pace between 6 and 6.30 min/km.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@The_LionThanks for the pace.. That is a starter for me and for others, the average pace equates to 9.6 kmh or 6 mph.

On the Internet most coaches say that you must run at least at 6 mph (9.6 kmh) for it to be considered running. So at my age I will never achieve that, so back to manual setting stride.

On my other Fitbits (non Connected GPS), including the Surge, the auto setting has adjusted my strides to

Walk 71.4cm  which is 0.415 x my height for males

Run  77.2cm   "     "   " 0.448 x   "    "        "      "   "

The walking factor is a globally recognized average for the male population, 0.413 for females.  Running has too many variables, and there appears to be no average.factor

@The_Lion wrote:

I don't know why it changed from a fix stride length to auto. Obviously because I use GPS. And yes, my runs are longer than 10 minutes. Pace between 6 and 6.30 min/km.

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@Xlqr, check to see if all day sync is turned on. If so turn it off. This should help with your battery life.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The running stride is only determined when using the connected GPS in the Running mode.

With walking the stride still needs to be set, since GPS is not used for distance while walking.

Best Answer

Actually I had a walk but cheated the Fitbit as running session and the distance was way off as opposed to my previous real run when the Fitbit distance was spot on (with Run cues off)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe all pop a "Me Too" in this topic if you don't mind, I think it may be useful to have a consolidated list of people with this problem ?

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Blaze-Connected-GPS-Disconnects-during-exercise-Pls-track-inst...

No longer a fitbit device user
Best Answer
0 Votes

Where did you download Fitbit app that has Blaze in windows connectivity?
My app does not have that!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Xlqr, check your heart rate monitor. It may be turned on. If so set it to auto. When it is turned on it will run your battery down, I have not tested to see how long the battery will last after a full charge. With it being on 24x7 I would guess you could get a few days before having to recharge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I did not except the location permissions when the fitbit tracker was set up, how can I go back in and turn on location services? I have searched thru all menu items so I need some help finding this item.

Best Answer
It's this iOS or android?
No longer a fitbit device user
Best Answer

If we don't except all of those permissions when it is first setup, can you go back in and turn it on another way? Also when exercises show "GPS will not be turned on" what does that mean?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wxchick as @GarethDPhillips asked, please let us know if your phone is an Android, Windows, or IOS. 

Thos will help us a lot in telling you how to check your phones permissions settings. 

Yes there is no problem in giving permissions now. 

As for you GPS question, it means that GPS will not be used. Please either let us know what screen your looking at or post a screen shot? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wxchick, you will see the phrase "GPS will not be used" when you go to edit the settings for your automatically recognized activities using SmartTrack.  This is to remind you that GPS cannot be turned on/ used in conjunction with automatically detected exercises, and also that distance will not be calculated.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

So can it be turned off or turned on? And why does it say this? But isn't that the whole purpose of having this tracker? Okay another scenario if I go into exercises, select walk, wait for it connect to my phone it should not say unable to find phone. Phone is paired, connected because I can control music.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is android os and a Kyocera.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G  I cannot advise users because I never have any problems with connection.  Even on the 29th March I concurrently ran MobileRun and Connected GPS with the Blaze. No connection issues that I could see.  I was doing tests for this topic.

All I can do is advise what my settings are on my Sony Android V7.0.. and I don't have "All-day Sync" set. But I do have Location Mode set as High Accuracy.  That was the default.

So no dropouts or jumping over high buildings. During this test I had other Bluetooth devices straying around.. The Fitbit One, the Surge and my Bluetooth hearing aids Smiley Happy

The "Both concurrent maps are there" was because it initial didn't save but about 20 minutes later it was in my activity log. As you can see 2 x maps with only 1 minute in starting time difference.

@Julia_GKeep up to great flow of help for the users..

both.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 wrote:

Even on the 29th March I concurrently ran MobileRun and Connected GPS with the Blaze. No issues at all. 

@Colinm39 you had an issue if those were concurrent - approximately 20% difference in distance and a pace error (12:29 vs 11:55). 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@wxchick I'm not sure where your seeing the "will not be used error", but let's look at permissions first. 

Go to your phones settings, Swipe down on your home screen. 

Now Apps - Application Manager - Fitbit - Permissions and accept the ones you want or just accept all. 

As for turning the GPS off or on this is done right on your Blaze. After selecting Walk you will notice a settings gear in the lower left corner of the trackers screen. Tap this the decide if you want GPS or not. 

Best Answer