Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

@EmersonFitbit , connected GPS requires internet connection?  Is that true even if your phe's GPS works without internet?

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Approximate Blaze battery life while using connected gps? 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@Julia_G The jury is out on this one, though I'll try to confirm. Through my own personal experiences, I'd say that internet connection usually works better than non-internet connection activities. 

@bbarrera No official wording on this, though I imagine it'd be a while. Blaze will continue to run a Connected Exercise until the battery dies- I'll be sure to try and test this out myself and report back. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

Best Answer

I'm worried about utilizing multiple apps and devices all at once during my run. My intended use for the Blaze is to obviously have that on while I'm running, but I also have my phone on with my Charity Miles app on using GPS (tracks my distance so that my activity gets converted to donations to a charity of my choice). I will also be using a bluetooth headset/earbud on my runs.

So my question is, will the Fitbit Blaze still have functioning connected GPS when my phone's bluetooth connection will be taken up by my earbuds, and my GPS will be in continuous use by Charity Miles?

Best Answer

@imBAOSS To answer your question- I'd say "probably."

In my own personal experience, I've found the apps to play nicely together, but I just make sure that they're in the app gallery. I'm not entirely sure about Charity Miles, but give it a go!

Bluetooth is a little trickier- I've used Blaze with my Bluetooth speakers before, and it worked really well! But I could definitely see the case for BT interference to inhibit some functionality when using wireless headphones.

If you do end up trying it out, please let us know how it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

FYI, I use different kinds of bluetooth connection. It won't hinder the performance of the Blaze. Beats 2 wireless, Blaze connected GPS, and I use a Scosche Rhythm Plus for my Nike run app. All work perfectly.

Best Answer

@ChaneRZ wrote:

FYI, I use different kinds of bluetooth connection. It won't hinder the performance of the Blaze. Beats 2 wireless, Blaze connected GPS, and I use a Scosche Rhythm Plus for my Nike run app. All work perfectly.

Good to know @ChaneRZ. What kind of phone?

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

Iphone 6s Plus

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am unable to access "Connected GPS" functionality on my Widows 10 phone, getting the "Check Fitbit app" message, app is open, I am signed in and location service is active on my phone. Is anyone able to provide assistance?

Best Answer

Took the blaze out for a run this morning, very impressed with the connected GPS, works like a dream, keeps check of all stats and easy to scroll through whilst running, just a flick of the screen.

The only thing I would like to change is the current pace as it seems to be based on miles and not KM.

The average pace is based on KM but i would quite like to be able to see my current pace based on a KM as it helps keep me on track, any idea how I change this?

For anyone who is doubting the Conncected GPS then don't! Its great!

Best Answer

@pianoman88 a quick glance through the settings options does not appear to show the Blaze having that functionality. You can go to the Feature Requests Forum and search if another user has already suggested this feature.  If so vote for the idea, and if not create a new idea.  If an idea receives enough support from the community it may be implemented in future firmware/website/mobile app updates.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Is you phone and OS on the list that works with the Balze?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Not seen the list I'm afraid, I'm on iPhone 6 Plus with latest iOS if that helps?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@hinkleyj wrote:

I am unable to access "Connected GPS" functionality on my Widows 10 phone, getting the "Check Fitbit app" message, app is open, I am signed in and location service is active on my phone. Is anyone able to provide assistance?

I didn't think that connected GPS was available as a feature on Windows phones but I'm happy to be told otherwise. I think this is because it uses the GATT server bit of Bluetooth that MS has yet to implement (and the reason why we can't have notifications too)

Best Answer

Yep, You are right lostlogik, would have been nice to know before i shelled out  A$329.95, I accepted would not be able to get call / text notifications but excercise tracking was a big one for me and did not realise GPS was bundled in to this issue as well. Live and learn

Best Answer

@hinkleyj wrote:

Yep, You are right lostlogik, would have been nice to know before i shelled out  A$329.95, I accepted would not be able to get call / text notifications but excercise tracking was a big one for me and did not realise GPS was bundled in to this issue as well. Live and learn

Yep, notifications I can live without, though it would be nice to have them, but I too had hoped for connected GPS. As you say, live and learn. At least the music controls work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my Fitbit blaze in the mail today! Everything works except for the connect GPS. I have bluetooth on and location services on but still it will not connect to my phone to access the connected GPS. I have an Iphone 6. I am getting the call/text notification. Not sure what is going on. Pretty disappointed to have a problem with the device on Day 1! 

Best Answer

Make sure the location use is always on for the Fitbit not while using the app.

Best Answer
Interestingly, I conversed with Support twitter & chat and they were of the opinion that connected gps did work with Windows 10 phones, needing only location devices to be on. Oh dear.
Best Answer
0 Votes