Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS Information Post

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey all!

I've been seeing a ton of great conversation about Connected GPS- the technology that will Screenshot 2016-02-18 14.53.25.pngallow you to see your maps, as well as pace/distance using your phone's GPS. Ahead of launch of the device, I'd like to provide a bit more information about Connected GPS in comparison to our built-in GPS technology (found in Surge) or our existing GPS functionality in relation to other devices! The following is an in-depth look at Connected GPS, and and opening of the floor for questions!  Are you ready? Let's do it!

• What is Connected GPS? 

Connected GPS is a new part of the Fitbit ecosystem! Using Connected GPS, Blaze connects with your phone's native GPS capabilities to plot routes and activity stats screen as the pace and duration.

• How do I use Connected GPS?

The necessary components for initiating a Connected GPS exercise are: 

1. Your charged tracker
  2. Your compatible Mobile device with GPS capabilities
  3. The Fitbit App

To initiate a Connected GPS exercise, open the appropriate exercise (exercises that offer GPS connectivity on the Blaze will have a gear icon on the tile). Once you select the exercise type, you'll see that your Blaze will begin to look for your phone's GPS services. Once the device establishes a connection, you'll be notified that you're ready to go. You can always bypass the connection if you'd like, much like on Surge. 

• How is this different than Surge? MobileRun?

GPS is built-in on the Fitbit Surge, meaning that you could initiate a GPS activity without your phone in proximity. The MobileRun process works a bit differently; you'll have to open the Fitbit app and select Track Exercise > Stopwatch Icon > Start. 

• What errors might I run into? 

Phone Not FoundUsers may see the following error state if their tracker is unable to connect to their phone. If this happens, please ensure the following: phone is within range, your app is open, phone is charged up, Bluetooth enabled and bonded, and Internet connection is present.

Check Fitbit App: If you come across this error, there may be a bit of action required. Please ensure that your app is open, you are logged into your account, and that location services are enabled.

• Location Services and Permissions

Location services are required for Connected GPS to function properly. Please ensure that location services are enables, and set to "Always" if applicable. 

Permissions are requested upon setup of the tracker. Users who intend to use the Connected GPS feature should accept the permission requests. If you switch phones during the life of your Blaze, you'll be prompted to run through all of these permission requests again before being able to successfully use Connected GPS.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428
I just received my Blaze and used it on a run for the first time this morning. It was great except I noticed that afterwards, my GPS map stopped about halfway through my run. It still showed my total miles, pace, and everything when I ended the run. Would this be more of a phone/GPS issue? I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I only ask because I've had issues with the GPS signal going out before but it usually comes back at some point.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had assume that when Blaze is connected to GPS on the Iphone that the exercise session recorded by Blaze would automatically be recorded on the Fitbit app under Exercise Tracker. This did not happen. Only when I started Exercise Tracker on the App did it record map and date for the exercise. Did I do something wrong or did I not do something I should have?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Couldn't figure out how to see the map on the app on my phone. I'm thinking maybe the GPS want working when I thought it was?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe I need to turn on the exercise app on my phone AND the exercise on my blaze at the same time?
Best Answer
I'm having the same problem. ...
Best Answer
0 Votes
Seems like they should be sync'ed automatically. Hoping someone from Fitbit clears it up. I will test watch again tomorrow.

Don Stachula
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DaDuck wrote:
I had assume that when Blaze is connected to GPS on the Iphone that the exercise session recorded by Blaze would automatically be recorded on the Fitbit app under Exercise Tracker. This did not happen. Only when I started Exercise Tracker on the App did it record map and date for the exercise. Did I do something wrong or did I not do something I should have?

@DaDuck - when you use connected GPS with your Blaze (starting run from your blaze and waiting for your phone to connect) you won't see the exercise and map on your phone until you finish and save the exercise.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

@vdangit wrote:
I just received my Blaze and used it on a run for the first time this morning. It was great except I noticed that afterwards, my GPS map stopped about halfway through my run. It still showed my total miles, pace, and everything when I ended the run. Would this be more of a phone/GPS issue? I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I only ask because I've had issues with the GPS signal going out before but it usually comes back at some point.

@vdangit - I had similar issue on my hike today. Only got map detail for part of it.  I got miles and pace for the whole two hours, but I suspect that it got disconnected temporarily from the phone or I lost GPS when the mapping stopped and then calculated the rest of the distance and pace based on step count x stride length.  I've got an iPhone 6 and connected GPS has been working reliably with it until the hike today.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_2016-03-05-15-34-21.png

Here's what I get when trying to view my running map afterwards. The map should have stopped after I looped around the fort and went back to the farthest point to the left. Notice that the mile markers for mile 2 and 3 are missing too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@vdangit -- Ah, Ft. McHenry.  Nice run.  

Yes, very similar to what happened when I apparently lost connection yesterday on my hike.  GPS record didn't even make a mile (no 1 mile marker), so the rest of the exercise distance must have been calculated by steps and stride length. 

IMG_0823.jpg

But my walk this morning recorded correctly.  

IMG_0830.jpg

Hope yours is working better today.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nice! Glad to see it worked fine today. Maybe the weather was just messing with our GPS signals.
Best Answer

No maps show on android. The only way is if you start either a run/walk/hike on the phone. Biking is not an option.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The problem was me, not the Blaze. I tried it again today. Connected to my iPhone through Blaze. When connection was confirmed I pushed Start and did a 30 minute bike ride. After the 30 minutes stopped, pressed finish on Blaze. Check data. Then went to Fitbit app. After a few seconds the ride popped up under Exercise tracker. So everything seems to be working OK, it just seems to take some practice to get it right.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DaDuck

Did you get a map? If so, then the iPhone works and the android does not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Glad you got it to work @DaDuck

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did another run today where the app stopped tracking about halfway through my run. Not very cloudy this morning so now I really don't know if it's my Blaze or my phone ... Any suggestions on what settings I might be able to change? I have Android 5.0.1. 

blazemap.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

I set up my Fitbit Blaze on my Mac laptop so now when I try to set up on my iPhone, it tells me that I am already set up on another device.  How can I set up the GPS on my iPhone under these circumstances?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd recommend temporarily disabling BT on your computer, @bugman21! This should help ensure a smooth transition for Connected GPS exercises.

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Had the same problem when I initially set up my Charge HR on both Mac and iPhone. Could not get consistent sync with both. I dumped the Mac setup and stayed with iPhone app. I know this may not help you, but it is a way of simplifying setup.

Don Stachula
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the answer. That is what I was about to do. Now I will go with
it.
Bugman21
Best Answer
0 Votes