Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I see that GPS is not included in the new Blaze but that it can have have "Connected GPS" in conjunction with the FitBit App.  Could someone please describe this process and how it impacts the recorded data?  I currently have a Charge HR and if I active the GPS tracker on the App, none of the steps that I take during that exercise count in my challenges as they could be "erroneous data."  As much as I'm interested in a Blaze, the ability to GPS track my runs will make or break my purchase decision.  (If my tracked runs don't count in challenges, then the data is inaccurate and unacceptable.)

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

I'm an avid Fitbit Surge user, and I was excited to see the Blaze. But what a dissappointment - NO GPS!!!

Fitbit Product Managers - runners don't want to carry a phone to get GPS. If they did, they would buy an Apple Watch (although the touchscreen sucks with sweaty fingers).

You need to add GPS to the watch. Doesn't matter about the battery life, we can charge it while showering. Doesn't matter about the additional cost - because Apple watches are expensive and they do not have GPS either.

You do so many things right, with the mobile App and understanding the needs of sports users, so this was a huge surprise.... so what are you going to do about it?

Best Answer

I don't think this is true for all. I'm a runner and I like to have my phone with me. The GPS method used in the Blaze is totally acceptable for me.

Battery life matters to me. And I don't use Apple products much anymore so I don't want an Apple Watch - and I'm very happy to find a watch like this that fits my needs and is on the more reasonable end of price ranges unlike the Apple lineup of products!

Best Answer

For some runners, I see them carry a phone. But carrying a phone is a big deal for ultrarunners, and Surge is the only product that can do it today without carrying another device. Fitbit are focused on active/sports users, so I consider this to be a miss. As a product manager myself, I would not have allowed the product requirements to deviate out of the target vertical like that.

Best Answer

@FSUHugs wrote:

I currently have a Charge HR and if I active the GPS tracker on the App, none of the steps that I take during that exercise count in my challenges as they could be "erroneous data." 

@FSUHugs That hasn't been true for quite a while now. As long as you wear your Charge HR at the same time, you can use the MobileRun in the app and steps will be counted for badges/challenges.

Connected GPS should work just like the Surge, you start the activity on the Blaze and it will connect to your, compatible, phone to get and records the GPS for your activity.

Best Answer
But my question remains. Do steps and distances earned while using the connected gps count in challenges? To my knowledge steps and distances recorded using the phone app do not count in challenges. Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

The phone app doesn't record steps which is why they aren't included. The Blaze will so I don't see why they'd be any different to steps record d by any other tracker.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JDPENK wrote:

I'm an avid Fitbit Surge user, and I was excited to see the Blaze. But what a dissappointment - NO GPS!!!

Fitbit Product Managers - runners don't want to carry a phone to get GPS. If they did, they would buy an Apple Watch (although the touchscreen sucks with sweaty fingers).

So perhaps the Surge is for the runners with no phone and the Blaze is aimed at a different market. That's the way I see it anyway. Every model doesn't need to support the same feature set.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer

@FSUHugs As I said, as long as you wear your Charge HR at the same time steps taking while tracking with MobileRun do count. Here is a link to the Fitbit help article that says this: "If you wear your tracker while using MobileRun, the steps, active minutes, and calories burned that you see on your Fitbit dashboard come from the tracker. Otherwise your phone is used to calculate this data. During your MobileRun you can view your elapsed distance, time, and average pace as well as use the music controls in the Fitbit app. Note that MobileRun data by itself (without a tracker) does not count towards badges or challenges. To get credit for badges and challenges, wear your tracker during your activity."

Best Answer

Sorry, I never actually addressed the original question. I got distracted as I read the thread.

For what it's worth, the way I read the "Connected GPS" wording in the Blaze blurb leads me to believe that the process works in a similar manner to the way the Surge functions except the GPS position is pulled from the phone at regular intervals rather than using an embedded GPS chip in the tracker.

Thus I believe that the data stored on the Blaze is pretty much identical to that stored on the Surge comprising steps, distance, calories and a position log all of which will be transferred to the server on sync.

This is different to the MobileRun approach where the steps and calories come from the tracker but the distance and track come from the phone.

In both cases, since the steps come from directly from a Fitbit tracker they are included in Challenges and all those good things.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

It is hard to say how Connected GPS is any different than what existing devices like the Charge and Charge HR already do when you track the activity through the app.

FWIW: I have worn an Apple Watch and a Surge at the same time while running, and the phone GPS with the Apple Watch appears to be more accurate than the Surge. For my activities (I am no ultrarunner, I put in 22 miles a week on three runs), but I never run without my phone. So if push came to shove, and I wasn't a FitBit steps freak, I would run with only the Apple Watch due to the better accuracy. So with all that said, the Blaze looks like a better option for me than the Apple Watch or the Surge... I get the phone's GPS accuracy, I get better battery life than the Surge (due to not using the Surge GPS), I get a color screen and the Blaze is priced right.

I would guess that ultrarunners aren't using FitBits... they are using Garmin's. And triathletes would also use something else due to the water repellency issues. So the FitBit Surge, as GPS'd as it is, is probably still more of an enthusiast tool.

Best Answer

Tomtom watches can do what you are looking for, the runner cardio or the spark.  Why not just keep the surge?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FSUHugs if when using the GPS on the app,  while wearing your Charge HR, the steps are counted by the Charge HR and should be included in the challage. Without the tracker, the app will track mileage and calculate steps, these calculated steps will not be included in the challange. Please see the Challenge FAQ. .

Thos was explained with a link a few poats ago..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do carry my phone while running, but it's not a smartphone (and I have no desire to have a smartphone) so my understanding is that Blaze's GPS would not work for me. I use a Motorola GPS watch for that function, but it's no longer being made by Motorola, nor is it being supported. I absolutely love it, and it's very accurate. I originally thought that once it died I'd get the Apple watch but, alas, that is tied to the iPhone, which I don't have and don't want. The Blaze apparently is the same situation, so this is a dealbreaker for me. My understanding from reading the comments is that Surge's GPS accuracy leaves a lot to be desired which, if true, is also a dealbreaker. So....I will probably replace my Motorola with a Garmin once the time comes. Too bad, because I love my Fitbits (I have a Flex and a Charge HR.)

Original Flex (March 2014); Charge HR; Alta HR; Original Versa; Inspire; Sense; Charge 5; Inspire 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with you on your assesment of the Blaze. I can't really comment on the Surge accuracy except to say that I've never had a problem. I know there have been reports of issues but I obviously don't know how realistic are the expectations of those people doing the reporting.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. I haven't used the app gps for about a year now because previously it overrode your tracker's steps and then the steps it put in were not counted in the challenge. I'm glad to hear this issue has been resolved. Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
@dpeete , I believe the Fitbit Blaze connected GPS must work in a fundamentally different way than the current relationship between the app and the Fitbit (all except Surge), because we are told that Windows phones will not be able to use the connected GPS. Also in the promotional video you will note that pace is available on the wrist -- so the phone GPS is connected and apparently sending information to the Blaze. No doubt Fitbit will have some more information on the details of this in due course.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
Yah, I saw the pace stuff, but it would seem a bit strange to send GPS to the Blaze to calculate everything onboard. The Apple Watch analogous behavior is all crunched on the phone app and what is sent to the watch is merely display data. It would make the most sense for Blaze to do the same. Stuff like FitStar workouts would logically be the same... app runs the workout, Blaze merely renders the latest instruction.

But that is my guess based on my computer nerdiness.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dpeete I don't know for sure, but I assume the reasons to do it the way of sending GPS data from the phone to the Blaze are:

• You shouldn't need to have the app open on your phone to start a Connected GPS workout and collect the GPS data.
  • The code to do the calculations, store the data, and upload it only needs to be written, and tested, once: on the Blaze itself. (They wouldn't have to write it for iOS, Android, and Windows.)
  • It makes integrating it into the Fitbit eco-system easier since it will work exactly like their existing tracker: the Surge. (Just with the GPS external to the tracker.)

As far as the FitStar stuff, my understanding is that it doesn't require a SmartPhone. You can load up your workout on your Blaze from your PC, then take just your Blaze to the gym with you to go through your workout. It opens the FitStar feature to to people that don't have a SmartPhone, or where there SmartPhone isn't compatible with FitStar. (And again, the code only needs to be written in one place, not for each platform.)

@DerrickS or @MatthewFitbit Can you confirm that the FitStar features don't require that you have a compatible SmartPhone with you? (I ask since the compatibility page doesn't mention the on-screen workouts no matter what phone I pick: iPhone 5 or Lumia 950.) But if it works no matter the device it should probably be added to the list of compatible features that are displayed.

Best Answer
That doesn't make sense... the apps already exist. And the apps already do this using existing FitBits... I did it with my Charge HR before moving to the Surge. The only thing different with the Blaze vs the Charge HR is that you can see the status on your wrist. And on FitStar... right from their website "Get personalized video workouts on your Android phones, iOS devices & on the web!" Seems like a connected technology to me. Where are you getting the idea it isn't? A link would help.
Best Answer
0 Votes