Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I see that GPS is not included in the new Blaze but that it can have have "Connected GPS" in conjunction with the FitBit App.  Could someone please describe this process and how it impacts the recorded data?  I currently have a Charge HR and if I active the GPS tracker on the App, none of the steps that I take during that exercise count in my challenges as they could be "erroneous data."  As much as I'm interested in a Blaze, the ability to GPS track my runs will make or break my purchase decision.  (If my tracked runs don't count in challenges, then the data is inaccurate and unacceptable.)

Best Answer
86 REPLIES 86

@Forestija@Rich_Laue@Michael To clarify, the Blaze does not currently include FitStar Yoga. We started with FitStar Personal Trainer workouts and may explore including FitStar Yoga workouts in the future.

One of the reasons for not including a built-in GPS chip is as we already have a product with built-in GPS, the Surge. In addition, you can check out some of my other key points in my recent post, here. Hope this helps in making your buying decision.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

So if I get the Blaze it will still record my steps and distance just not the GPS route?? ( I do not want to have to carry my phone with me so a little confused as to what the best option is.  I currently have the FLEX and looking to move to one product that I could use as a tracker and a watch.  When I go to theme parks it doesnt seem to  track all of my steps would that be different if I had the surge that would also use the GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes
The presence of GPS won't have any effect on step counting. What you will get is a more accurate distance measurement for the periods when GPS was in use (which I personally wouldn't do in a theme park).

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit wrote:

@Forestija@Rich_Laue@Michael To clarify, the Blaze does not currently include FitStar Yoga. We started with FitStar Personal Trainer workouts and may explore including FitStar Yoga workouts in the future.

@ErickFitbit Just to clarify a little bit, I understand that the Blaze comes with 3 FitStar workouts, but if you have a FitStar account can you load other workouts on the Blaze or are you limited to the 3 pre-loaded ones?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Blaze=no gps  no thanks
Best Answer

@ross_t wrote:
Blaze=no gps  no thanks

Fair enough...

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's something we're working on getting more information for. We'll check in with the approrpiate teams and get back to yall! @Michael

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer

@Tgeus

The Blaze will only record GPS if you have your phone with you and have MobileRun on. Otherwise it will just do step count, distance etc. The Surge on the other hand has GPS built in and doesn't require a phone until you want to sync and look at the data.

GPS has no affect on step count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@matt9013 wrote:

@Tgeus

The Blaze will only record GPS if you have your phone with you and have MobileRun on. Otherwise it will just do step count, distance etc. The Surge on the other hand has GPS built in and doesn't require a phone until you want to sync and look at the data.

GPS has no affect on step count.

@matt9013 You are mostly correct, but you won't need to touch your phone or start MobileRun get GPS tracking on the Blaze. But like you said you have to have a compatible phone on you. (You just enable Connected GPS on the Blaze and when you start a run on the Blaze it will work just like the Surge, other than the GPS data comes from your phone instead of an internal GPS chip.)

Best Answer

@Michael

Cool, I didn't know you could do it right from the Blaze. I thought you needed to start it from the phones app.

Best Answer
That's why they aren't calling it MobileRun. This is a different functional feature.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

@Michael wrote:

@ErickFitbit wrote:

@ErickFitbit Just to clarify a little bit, I understand that the Blaze comes with 3 FitStar workouts, but if you have a FitStar account can you load other workouts on the Blaze or are you limited to the 3 pre-loaded ones?

I was wondering exactly that!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@matt9013 Yes, as @Michael said, you do not need to turn on MobileRun for Connected GPS to function. The cool thing about Connected GPS is that it is all initiated from the Blaze and you won't even notice that it is running on the phone as there is nothing displayed on the screen.

@Julia_G@Michael We'll get an answer for you guys shortly. Robot Happy

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

As probably already mentioned (or inferred), the amount of hardware they squeeze into these things impacts battery life and size.. I recall that when the Surge was first released a lot of folk were askling why it didn't have a full color screen, right? Well, the answer to that is color screen = greater power requirement.

Perhaps the ideal device would include a GPS AND a color screen. The trade-off though would mean that it would need to be much bulkier to accomodate that additional GPS hardware (transceiver) and a much larger battery to accomodate the color screen and GPS (OR alternatively a smaller battery but you would then have a device that needs to be charged daily..)

Battery tech will catch up.. But it's gonna take a few years. Until then, it's always a compromise between form and function 🙂

Best Answer

@revenant

Exactly, a GPS built in would lower the battery life and same with touch color screen. IMO connected GPS is the best of both worlds. We still get GPS and the Blaze has a good battery life.

I know some people don't like to run with phones but I can't see not doing it. I mean what happens in emergencies, accidents, someone needs you ASAP etc. Not having a phone just doesn't seem safe IMO whether you don't like or not.

Best Answer

I would want GPS in Blaze,just like in Surge.  In fact I would worry more about my phone battery dying because of GPS use (in case you need help). So I've started looking at https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabletech/fenix-3-hr/prod545480.html as an upgrade from my current FitBit Surge..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I almost didn't even look at the features before preordering. What no GPS? You want me to carry my phone? Nope! The blaze looks pretty

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @fastbsand @volkov it sounds like you would be interested in the model above the Blaze, theSiege, it has GPS built into the wrist unit. Please remember that the Blaze is not a replacement for the Surge, but to fill a gap in the Fitbit line.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi @Rich_Laue, sorry I'm not following - which unit is that?
Best Answer
0 Votes
See i like the vivoactive but i am so small that it covers my wrist from
top to bottom if you are looking at it like a watch.... doesnt seem like
anyone has something that would fit us smaller framed people.... with all
the features i want
Best Answer
0 Votes