Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Blaze step count inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey there,

Today was my first full day rocking my Blaze. I went to an outdoor festival and had some solid step count, however, when I got home and checked my step count I noticed that the blaze tracked about 1/4 the steps I actually took. My iPhone health app logged about 10K and my Fitbit did about a 1/4 of that (2500). Also I noticed it did an auto workout and thought I had rode my bike. I think this is due to my sons stroller I was pushing. Any suggestions on how to calibrate? If I go for a run and use the GPS- will that help? Thanks!

Best Answer
496 REPLIES 496

Hello all, thanks for the feedback regarding your step count.

For information on the accuracy of our trackers, please see this help articleIf you feel that your step count is inaccurate, first make sure the wrist placement settings are correct. You may also want to manually adjust the stride length that we calculate automatically. For more information, see How do I measure and adjust my stride length?

If you have additional questions, please do let us know; we're always happy to help. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer
My blaze finally caught up from last night so i guess it takes awhile and has to sync wuth my phone. My flex didn't have to do thst but at least i know.. I know for my 10 hour shift i average 11 miles (spread ocer 2 days because i work 1830 to 0500). The only days that come in less are thursday hecause i'm off Wednesday night and sundat because i don't go hack in at 1830...
Best Answer
0 Votes
Btw i can't find a setting on my app to change my stride length.. Help?
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don't have a place to change my stride on my app?? Android version if that matters. I was wondering about it since i've had my flex for 15 months..
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had to do it from my computer under profile settings

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok to reset your blaze push the buttom on the left abd both on the right until the fitbit symbol appears then let go. Also i thought the app is where you set your stride lengtg but discovered it is in your profile here at fitbit.com. did tgat ao we'll see how the steps look later 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes i found out just now it's on fitbit.com not the app. Thanks!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
You have a huge stride...mine is 1.1!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think that once you choose bike and connect to gps it will track what you did on your bik but I can't verify that it will track steps. That is disappointing if it doesn't.
Best Answer

I really like the Blaze and i would love to keep it. While wearing it on my left (Non-dominant) the step count is atrocious. I have a Fitbit one. I decided to test them while wearing both at the same time while on my walk yesterday. The Blaze counted 2000 steps less. My running stride, walking stride, all that information is on my profile and it’s accurate. I was very disappointed, then I googled and came across a post that recommended putting the tracker in your pocket. Why would I put it in my pocket? That defeats the purpose of the watch with HR. Then another post recommended keeping the tracker with the setting as (non-dominant) and putting it on your dominant hand. So far, that has made it more accurate, but I don’t think that it is because it’s counting steps more accurately but because it’s accounting for movements better. My questions to anyone that can respond is; would a firmware update be able to help with this movement sensitivity issue so I can put the tracker back to my left hand?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ChrissyA, when comparing my new Blaze to the Flex, I have noticed the same thing. Both step count and mileage are appreciably lower. With some experimentation, I've noticed that the Blaze is less sensitive to motion, so when not swinging my arms, moving more slowly, or even jogging/walking in place (sometimes I cheat to get my steps in during the evening!), it seems to pick up less steps. Hopefully this can be addressed with a future firmware update.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s what I would love to know, if firmware updates are able to address it. I do not mind being patient I just want to know if it will be fixed at some point in the near future.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When I walked the dog last night I had my display on and my arm was held so I could read the display and my arm wasn't moving (had to keep turning it on to see it). My Blaze counted every step I took and never missed one. I think there might be something wrong with yours. Maybe exchange it for another one and see if there is a difference.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine is definitely not counting all my steps. I'm getting far less since I started wearing the Blaze. And it does not count my steps if my arm isn't moving when walking. I'm kinda of torn. I really like the Blaze, but if it's not counting my steps...that's a problem. Hoping a firmware update can correct it.
Best Answer
@KiloLima64 I just had another walk. i walked for 100 steps while holding my wrist looking at the watch, all steps where counted. I walked with arms at 90 degree angles for 100 steps and all were counted. Normal arm swing and only half were counted. My theory is that up and down motion is easier to capture that swinging motion. I'll keep hoping for firmware update.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ChrissyA I've noticed significant undercounting as well. I ran the same test you did. Looking at the watch: 100% accuracy. Arm at 90 degree angle: 100% accuracy. Normal arm swing: about 50-60% at best are counted. 

Contacted chat support, they asked me to power cycle: 

"Please press and hold the home and select button (left and bottom right) for 10-15 seconds until you see the screen flash or start to dim. After your screen dims, please wait for 10 secs and press the home button to turn it on."

The instructions actually reboot the device (you can't wait 10 secs). I had actually tried this already to no avail, but did it anyway per the instructions. Additionally I went into the settings to turn it off (which I hadn't tried yet). I then let it sit for 10 sec. And after doing two 100 step tests, it was perfectly accurate. Let me know if that helps you. 

Best Answer

@quehill. Thank you!!!! I am going to give this a try and see if it works for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rebooting corrected my step count issue.  Thanks!

Best Answer

I did the reboot and out of 50 steps test it counted 41. thats 30% better than before the reboot. Ill take it 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is everyone's problem just undercounting? I find that my biggest issue is steps being counted when I wave my arm, especially when I wash my hands. I have it on my non-dominant hand with the dominant setting as to lower the sensitivity and that has helped a smidge, but it's still an issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes