Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to sync Fitbit with Google Fit?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is it possible to sync FitBit with Google Fit? Anybody has any idea? Because all my past fitness is in the fit app, i need to migrate to FitBit.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
136 REPLIES 136

Real solution, buy a better tracker like a Samsung. I was behind fit bit all the way when they first came out, but this unwillingness to integrate has me trashing the fitbits in the house and buying everyone smart watches or in the of our cases, the Samsung gear pro so we can track swimming as well. 

Best Answer

There is this project on GitHub.com https://github.com/praveendath92/fitbit-googlefit; it's in python3 and requires you to run the script manually / via cron on a server / desktop / laptop, but it works like a charm, I have already synced all the history data to Google Fit, although that took a while (I just left it running over night) due to FitBit API rate-limit...

Best Answer

Fit bit will never integrate with Google fit because there are bunch of silly **ahem**s who don’t play well with others

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's a rather harsh statement, what trackable facts do you base this little gem on?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Based on the fact  this has been a problem for nearly 4 years and fitbit don’t even care about integrating with anyone else.

All the other companies integrate well with others why can’t fitbit

They make substandard products and  then ignore users who want their fitness data syncing with other applications 

I would never buy Fitbit I’m not fool

Best Answer

Can you think of a reason why Google fit could not sync with Fitbit?

Every other app that syncs with Fitbit connected up without fitbit's help. In fact their are many that have connected to Fitbit without Fitbit knowing that they have. Why do you feel it should be different for Google? 

Since Fitbit out sells Google based trackers I would think they would want to link up to Fitbit. 

If you haven't figured out yet, this is not a marriage that will happen by Fitbit or Google alone. It will need cooperation and blessing from both parties. 

But your correct. Fitbit does not push itself on third parties, but politely invites them to join up. Notice I use the word polite. Which generally gets a nicer maybe a positive response. 

Best Answer

Firstly, my apologies, I thought you were referring to Google.  Regarding their products, I disagree.  I tried buying a generic tracker for £30 and it was a pile of **ahem**, the Android App was even worse, like it had been created by a 12yr old.  After three months I bought a FitBit Charge and I've not looked back.  Reliable tracker and professional Android App.

Of course your personal mileage may vary to mine.  

To the other responder, it's not got Google to connect to FitBit.  Google have created a framework for third parties to connect and sync so all data can be viewed in one place.  FitBit should want to connect to Google/Apple Fit and any other major platform health/fitness framework, it's just common sense.

Best Answer

@aSystemOverload and now you see the problem, Fitbit also has an open API and encourages third parties to partner up with Fitbit. Many third parties have all ready done this. 

Just like Google and apple, Fitbit also does not push themselves into others but let's others partner up. 

For this to happen it will need to start with communication between the two companies. 

I really don't think apple or Google will change their ways anymore than Fitbit will 

Your acting like Fitbit needs them, maybe if Fitbit hasn't been out selling... 

Best Answer

No, good try but no.... Google is so large compared to fitbit. They don't put together services and then go out and write software for everyone else to connect to them. Google is global, they would have to hire thousands of more programmers for the Chinese market alone. Google Chinese fitness trackers😒 Btw, I don't know of any major services or company that does this unless connectivity is their only real selling feature. Those companies are always inferior with inferior products. Fitbit should want their product to integrate,  but they don't. They want you using their ecosystem so you see the Fitbit name, get their ads, use their products more. This isn't rocket science.... apple does the same thing more successfully.

Best Answer

@Benwesterlin wrote:

No, good try but no.... Google is so large compared to fitbit. They don't put together services and then go out and write software for everyone else to connect to them.

Like Fitbit does, Google also has provided an open API and encourage others to connect. 

In the same way Fitbit doesn't write software to connect to others, Fitbit allows others to write software to connect to them. 

This puts the Fitbit -googke relationship at a standoff. To break this stand off it will require communication between the two. I never did say who would be writing the software, did I. 

Best Answer

@Benwesterlin wrote:

No, good try but no.... Google is so large compared to fitbit. They don't put together services and then go out and write software for everyone else to connect to them.

Like Fitbit does, Google also has provided an open API and encourage others to connect. 

In the same way Fitbit doesn't write software to connect to others, Fitbit allows others to write software to connect to them. 

This puts the Fitbit -googke relationship at a standoff. To break this stand off it will require communication between the two. I never did say who would be writing the software, did I. 

Nice yet but completely ignored the point that the two companies deal with third parties exactly the same way. Both companies let the third party make the move. 

Fitbit will let Google make the move 

Google will let Fitbit make the move. 

Fitbit has no idea as to what data, or what direction users want the days to flow. 

Do users want to use a Google fit device instead of a Fitbit tracker? Why would Fitbit want to add steps from eh. Competition? These steps would not be shown in any challenge. 

Or have Fitbit push data into Google fit, would Google allow this? 

Best Answer

perhaps google should just work on buying Fit-bit to secure its user base, technology, social media and most importantly the constant flow of date from the users for use with i AI development.  Fit-bit users would benefit greatly with Google at the helm with their health care initiatives and resources, the Fit-bit community would thrive.

Best Answer

but fitbit doesnt produce ads in its app

Best Answer
0 Votes

In general Google stays out if the hardware end. 

Best Answer

I am a bit confused here.  Been following how Fitbit and Google Fit are not syncing, looking at the most recent dates Aug 2017, I have a Fitbit, under the settings it asks if I want to sync with Google Fit, I have it turned on, but can't find things in Google Fit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CandaceU you will have to bra little more specific, but it would be better to post screen shots. 

What app is it that the "settings" are in. 

Best Answer

This is nonsense... the request is 4 years old and still with status Not currently planned. It's obvious that Fitbit does not plan to share your data so it can be monopol on the market. 

I'm not sure that I'll stay with Fitbit nor recommend it to anyone...

Best Answer

Fitbit has an open API @confiq and basically allows anyone who would like to link up with Fitbit to do so. It really would not be hard for Google fit to do so 

Best Answer

Google Fit is a framework that developers (such as FitBit or Runtastic etc...) can utilise, they don't do the work themselves.  They might have already attempted to work something out but FitBit said no, would be NDA so we wouldn't know anyway, unless it actually worked out.

I'll be buying a new Android Wear Watch in the future when money allows, I've a FitBit, but fed up with having data that doesn't flow into Fit.

Best Answer

Fitbit also has a framework that developers, such as Google Fit, can utilize. Many other developers already have taken advantage of Fitbit's open framework. In fact there are some developers doing this that Fitbit doesn't even know about. 

Heck do you think Fitbit knows that every night I have a Google sheer that collects my daily data? 

Best Answer