Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Tracker Seems Wildly Inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
The first couple nights I slept with the Blaze, it seemed fairly accurate, except I had specifically remembered waking up around 3am and not being able to fall back asleep for about 30 minutes. This period of being awake showed up on my results as only 3 minutes. So, I went on my desktop and found a Sensitivity Setting for the sleep tracking feature and turned it to the most sensitive setting. Now, the last two nights, it says I've only been asleep for about 4 of the 8 hours I've been in bed. I suppose this is possible, but highly unlikely for multiple nights in a row. Anybody else experiencing these issues? Wondering if this is just the best it gets with devices like this (maybe my expectations are too high)?
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The sensitive setting will show you as restless or awake for any movement of the arm.  Most people will want it set for normal.

My sleep readings seem to be accurate, also have read several reviews where Fitbits where worn durring sleep studies and found to be within a couple of points of sleep quality. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

My past experiences with the sleep tracking is about the same.  Sometimes it didn't record sleep at all, other times if I am watching TV it thinks I am sleeping.  (Probably because I am not moving enough). I don't worry about it too much as I didn't expect it to be exact - but nice tool to get an idea of my sleep patterns, etc.

Kelly | Oklahoma
Alta HR, Blaze, Flex 2, Charge 2, Charge, and Aria * IPhone 7+

Best Answer

The sensitive setting will show you as restless or awake for any movement of the arm.  Most people will want it set for normal.

My sleep readings seem to be accurate, also have read several reviews where Fitbits where worn durring sleep studies and found to be within a couple of points of sleep quality. 

Best Answer
This makes sense to me, thank you!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Tracker says I wake up roughly 15-20 times a night lol

Best Answer

Just started using my Blaze and have had it on the normal sensitivity setting and have also noticed that it is very inaccurate for me. I've had some insomnia recently and know for a fact that I was awake in bed for over two hours last night, and for even longer a couple of nights ago, but in both cases it showed only minimal interuptions to sleep. I've changed to a more sensitive setting and will have to see how that works over the next couple of nights. Can't be any further off than it has been to this point.

Best Answer
I too have noticed if I wake up and read a book, the Fotbit doesn't always acknowledge that I'm awake. This is probably becaise of lack of atm motion.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had so much trouble with my Blaze tracking my sleep! Almost every night, I get in bed between 10-10:30, wake up around 2-2:30 (bathroom break...), and then my morning alarm wakes me up at 6am. I have no trouble falling asleep, and my old Charge recorded all these times pretty accurately. The Blaze, on the other hand, routinely says I fall asleep between 12-1:30am and wake up around 5:30am. 

I've tried setting it to "sensative", and have tried resetting the Blaze to no avail. For a more expensive product than the Charge, I'm disappointed that this feature is so far off...

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. My old Fitbit Charge HR worked great. It would track my nap time. The Blaze doesn't track my sleep time or my nap time. I have tried changing my settings from Normal to Sensitive and it doesn't make any difference. I am very disappointed in the Blaze. 

Best Answer

Same here. Sensitive setting just shows more restless time. The sleep time in not accurate. I just took a nap and the Blaze did not record it. My old Fitbit Charge would track my sleep even if I fell asleep in my recliner!

Very disappointed too. Have not found an answer to this problem yet.

Best Answer

I am having the same problems. The Blaze is saying I sleep like 3 hours and awake the rest. My Charge tracked it better. I have changed the sensitvity and reset and re-synced everything. Based on this, july 24 says I was still asleep while I was at work? Something is wrong and it needs fixed.fitbit.png

Best Answer

Hi, how did you change the sensitivity? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dot2Dot welcome to the forums! You can change the sensitivity in Web Dashboard in the Device's settings and it should look like this:

sleep sensitivity.png

Let me know how it goes! 

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
My dashboard doesn't seem to have the sleep option under device settings. My sleep isn't tracking at all. Would like to fix this since its one of the primary reasons I purchased the device.
Best Answer

@david94903 thanks for the update! Hey, just out of curiosity, are you using the Fitbit app for Android? The reason why I ask is because I don't think there's an option to change the sleep sensitivity from that version of the app yet. Sorry for the confusion there. 

Now, you can use the Fitbit app for iOS or Windows 10 to change that setting:

1. Go to Account
  2. Advanced Settings
  3. Sleep Sensitivity.

Or using the fitbit.com web version too: 

1. Go to Settings
  2. Devices
  3. Scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

Let me know how it goes! Cat Wink

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Mariam,

Yes, I'm using the Android version. That option definitely isn't there on the mobile device. Logged on via computer, and there it was, so that worked.  I modified the sleep to sensitive, hopefully it'll work tonight.

Thanks,

david94903

Best Answer
0 Votes

@david94903 it's great hearing back from you! Thanks a million for keeping me updated and it's good you were able to change that setting from a computer. Keep me posted with the results! Cat Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same issues, sensitive suggests 3-4 hours sleep a night (for two weeks testing) this is a Nonsense, I'd be a zombie! After setting to "normal" It's pointless, I get up once to twice a night, and it says I have solid, un disturbed sleep, even though it counts steps to bathroom! Microsoft Band was brilliant at this, definitely a backwards step!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Sensitive setting considers any arm movement as being restless.or not fast asleep.

I'm assuming you have already done a restart of the tracker.

I always found my Fitbit's recording when i get up at night.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I understand sensitive will talk ATM movement as restless, that's understandable, I move a lot when asleep, but it's still "good" sleep, so it makes sense for me not to use that, but if "normal" can't track me waking up, getting out of bed, walking down a flight of stairs, bathroom, back up stairs, then back to bed as awake, then frankly the tracking is flawed (to put it politely) - what's even more confusing is the steps and floor count registered! the MS band was leaps ahead on this, I can only assume that they used some algorithm using heart rate as well as movement,

Best Answer
0 Votes