Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome Blaze to the Fitbit Family

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Exciting times ahead with the introduction of the new Fitbit Blaze.

Looks like a very interesting product but not sure what to make of it.

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78

what is the difference between Blaze's "connected GPS" and using Mobilerun in Fitbit app + e.g. Charge HR? I think it will do the same job. I think only difference is that Blaze will show the "real-time" speed/pace on wrist. This is only a software related feature which could be added also to Charge, Charge HR, isn't it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vitacit wrote:

what is the difference between Blaze's "connected GPS" and using Mobilerun in Fitbit app + e.g. Charge HR? I think it will do the same job. I think only difference is that Blaze will show the "real-time" speed/pace on wrist. This is only a software related feature which could be added also to Charge, Charge HR, isn't it?

If what you say is true, then it probably could. That wasn't what I thought they were describing, however.

I got the impression that the Blaze was also storing the GPS track data for later transfer to the dashboard/app interface (in the way that the Surge does). If this is true, I doubt that the Charges would be capable of that additional work.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@jbrian00 wrote:

Does the blaze have an upgraded heart rate sensor, or would it have the same hardware as the surge?

I believe I found an answer, but could somebody at fitbit please confirm?  The following cnet article states that "The Blaze does have some new fitness tricks. Fitbit claims there's improved heart rate tracking that now pings more frequently when tracking in multi-sport modes, and the Blaze also can record more activities -- including those that don't involve step-counting -- with better specifically-tuned calorie-burn estimates."

http://www.cnet.com/products/fitbit-blaze/

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jbrian00 That sounds like exactly what Fitbit did with the Surge and Charge HR in the last update.

This is from the firmware release notes: "We’ve enhanced our PurePulse™ heart-rate technology. Now when you activate exercise mode, you’ll have even better heart-rate tracking during certain high-intensity workouts like Zumba® or bootcamp classes."

Best Answer

@Julia_G wrote:
@FelixFive , that's why Fitbit makes a range of different trackers for different needs! Some of us, particularly women and older runners, always take our phones for safety reasons, so would be happy to use connected GPS rather than onboard GPS. Obviously people for whom that extra weight makes a difference will make different choices.

Ridiculous given that they are positioning the Blaze as a Smart FITNESS watch against those offered by Garmin,Polar, and the like and NOT as an offering against a smart lifestlye watch like Apple.

A dated approach given that my Timex Ironman watch used a 'connected' GPS receiver back in 2001. 

Not a weight issue, a convenience issue.  Runners want pace shown at the wrist with everything else.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Michael wrote:

@jbrian00 That sounds like exactly what Fitbit did with the Surge and Charge HR in the last update.

This is from the firmware release notes: "We’ve enhanced our PurePulse™ heart-rate technology. Now when you activate exercise mode, you’ll have even better heart-rate tracking during certain high-intensity workouts like Zumba® or bootcamp classes."

I'm hoping this is something new for the Blaze, and not the same as the update to the Surge and Charge HR.  I didn't notice any effect in that update.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@11butterscotch , yes, a FITNESS watch. You think its "ridiculous" to position it as fitness if some potential buyers don't need built in GPS because they are happy to take their phones with them on a run? That means it has to be "lifestyle" instead? Funny, I thought it was "fitness" when I ran the London marathon... And guess what? When I was doing 20 mile training runs on my own in the countryside, I took my phone... I sure wish I had had a Fitbit too!

As I said, Fitbit make a range of devices to suit a range of needs, from the Surge with on board GPS down to the much more basic pocket worn Fitbits. It looks to me like Blaze is going to be a great new edition. I am looking forward to seeing it and hearing more about it in action.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

The Surge is their only other option with GPS. If you read the reviews and public commentary, it’s mediocre at best: strap that fails and is non-replaceable, GPS that is sketchy, heart rate even sketchier, annoyingly sensitive touchscreen, battery life that diminishes over time (or with firmware upgrades not sure which).  (and note, I'm not saying Surge GPS/HR don't work at all, just that they can be frustratingly unpredictable in performance)

From Engadget Surge review: “Yes, the Surge marks Fitbit's first foray into serious running watch territory. It's not the fastest or most accurate GPS in the world, but it gets the job done most of the time…There is a market out there for activity trackers that double as GPS watches (and not the other way around). If you're a casual, fair-weather runner, a dedicated running watch might be overkill.”

Engadget continues about the Surge: “there are more robust options for runners out there. Timex, Polar, Garmin and TomTom all make devices that more carefully cater to athletes. These running watches have fast, highly accurate GPS radios”

If Blaze is the new improved high end product geared towards fitness then a feature/function design decision should be based on what athletes might need, not based on what they might not need, i.e., err on the side of relevant feature inclusion than exclusion. That’s the difference between high end fitness device and a fair-weather or even London-weather lifestyle device that looks good but doesn’t really have the feature/function necessary to compete in the space it’s being sold.

Unfortunately the Blaze is high-end in style only, not in actual feature/function that most athletes need (pace for runners, cadence for cycling, waterproof for swimming), and unfortunately this loosey-goosey hybrid attempt to fit a demographic between actual athletic fitness devices (Garmin, Polar) and lifestyle fitness watches (Apple) is being duly noted in the stock market.

Now, if Fitbit had announced a complete line-up of new devices to fit different needs, or if they were not overly emphasizing that “Fitbit Blaze was designed with a different purpose in mind. It puts fitness first…” only to then offer lifestyle needs like color screen and improved notifications but not onboard GPS, then I wouldn’t be as frustrated…

Best Answer

Personally, I believe the Blaze slots in below the Surge in the hierarchy and isn't in any way intended to replace it. It looks to be aimed at a completely different market segment to me, albeit one that overlaps the Surge user of today.

I wouldn't rule out a Surge replacement coming along at some time in the future but this will obviously be influenced by the sales numbers forward of this point.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Best Answer

Ive noticed that the Blaze addreses several feature suggestions that users have requested,  slimner design, tracking more activities, replaceable band, more info on the display. As for a smart living watch, this has never been requested, do amy Fitbit users want this, they havent spoken up.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Ive noticed that the Blaze addreses several feature suggestions that users have requested,  slimner design, tracking more activities, replaceable band, more info on the display. As for a smart living watch, this has never been requested, do amy Fitbit users want this, they havent spoken up.

Rich, sure, but many of those  are fixes per se:  replaceable band? wouldn't need this if the Surge band wasn't compromised so early in the product's use; but more band colors? that's lifestyle. More info on display, sure, that's nice, but still needs to be operationally effective, not too sensitive, but color screen? that's lifestlye. Tracking more activities, yes that's nice, but really? Seems to be just fixing what was always promised in marketing as "activity" tracker. Slimmer design? Yes, form factor is important, but for most athletes not at the expense of necessary feature/function.   Again, not saying it's an entirely bad device, but perhaps a muddied target audience, and certainly not an athletic-fitness more on the order of fashion-fitness imho.

Best Answer

@MikeF wrote:

Personally, I believe the Blaze slots in below the Surge in the hierarchy and isn't in any way intended to replace it. It looks to be aimed at a completely different market segment to me, albeit one that overlaps the Surge user of today.

I wouldn't rule out a Surge replacement coming along at some time in the future but this will obviously be influenced by the sales numbers forward of this point.

On reflection I agree and an acknowledged point in the company's intentions; but to the public and financial markets, I think the product roadmap appears a bit muddied over intended demographic and belies a concern over company's foresight into the needs of the overall wearable space vis-a-vis competition.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its nice they finally listened and introduced a replacable band. Too bad the Blaze looks to be lacking a GPS function. That would of been nice and worth a few extra bucks to the price tag. I was excited to see a new device was coming out, but was quickly let down after reading about it. It just seems to be a Charge HR 2.0 with a larger color screen and replacable band (which it should of had in the first place). Also the dead area around the screen looks pretty bad and cheapens the look of it. They really need to have a display that continues to the edge of the device. If the device is going ot be that big, at least fill it with something usable. And hopefully they've done something about the HR monitor and sleep tracking. Those things are horribly inaccurate on the Charge HR and Surge. Time will tell if they have improved.

Not that it matters since I wont be buying one, but does anyone know what type of charging interface it uses? Hopefully they moved to a more standardized form of charging and it uses a micro USB cable.

So if you're listening FitBit, your next device needs.....

-Built in GPS

-Keep the replacable bands

-Larger display (take it to the edge of the device)

-If it hasn't been done the Blaze already, a standardized charging cable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have to say, that's a bit of a long winded way of saying that the Blaze isn't to your taste. That's fine, it isn't supposed to be for everyone. That's the point of having a range of products after all.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer

@MikeS1971 wrote:

Not that it matters since I wont be buying one, but does anyone know what type of charging interface it uses? Hopefully they moved to a more standardized form of charging and it uses a micro USB cable.

@MikeS1971 Nope, the Blaze has another proprietary Fitbit charging cable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MikeF (5K Racer) posted a new comment in Welcome Blaze to the Fitbit Family on 01-07-2016 11:26:

Its laugh out loud funny how everyone likes to give advice followed by 'bit I won't be buying it'. Really, save your typing effort for something Tha matters.

Mike, I'm not sure why you edited your original comment as it reveals who is actually not being verty constructive in this thread.  Laugh out loud all you want, I believe some of us are just trying to share sentiment and observations. Perhaps someone else is giving advice, I'm not, nor did I say I won't be buying. I'm just expressing disappointment on where I believed the product line to be going. Oftentimes that's what community forums are for, to share sentiment, longwinded or otherwise.

Best Answer

I edited because it was a little harsh. I may find something amusing but there was no real need to point it out.

i struggle to understand people's seeming belief that if something isn't tailor made for them then it must be a mistake. It just comes across as a form of arrogance that gets to me after a while. For what it's worth, it wasn't your posts that provoked the response.

Mike | London, UK

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Charging cable with the Blaze as displayed on the Fitbit online store.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@11butterscotch , if you watch the promotional video for the Blaze, you will see that pace is available on the wrist (although it uses the connected GPS on your phone to calculate it). As for a colour screen, my Garmin Forerunner 620 has one, so that makes it a lifestyle device? I just thought it made it easier to read...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Look, any features that make things easier are nice to haves but not at the expense of need to haves. Color screen is nice but has never been needed to very very capably display data on fitness devices. It's not needed for fitness, so yes, color screen falls into the lifestyle feature category.  That any device, Fitbit, Garmin, etc has a color screen is not the point. The point is that if color screen degrades batter life, if color screen is implemented when onboard GPS is not, then a device that has a color screen is more geared towards lifestyle than fitness.

I accept albeit unhappily that the Blaze is a lifestyle device that caters towards fitness. I will go on a limb to assert that most runners want pace, most cyclists want cadence, most swimmers want waterproof. Not rocket science, and I have no beef that Fitbit is more of a lifestyle device whereas Garmin is more of a fitness device. I don't know why you have a beef either. It is what it is.

Best Answer
0 Votes