Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use GPS on my Charge 2?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I understand from this forum that the Charge 2 underestimating distance is a common problem but I had assumed the watch would sync with the app or take note of my manual adjustments and learn to improve accuracy. In other words, when I track a walk using the app, which uses GPS to track the distance, why doesn't the watch learn from this and adjust its stride length calculations? Same for when I adjust the distance manually. I just went for a short walk using both the app and the watch. App gives me 2.27km and watch says 1.64km. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @SarahBart, I'm happy to have a new member around! Woman Very Happy 

There are a few differences between Charge 2's connected GPS and using the Fitbit App's GPS to track your workout, they include:

1. Connected GPS runs help improve the accuracy of your Cardio Fitness Score. Click here for more details.
2. You are also able to see your workout metrics on the device in real-time during your workout with Connected GPS.

3. If you track one or more runs using Connected GPS, the Fitbit App evaluates the data and automatically updates your running stride length. 

4. Connected GPS supports intervals and biking workouts; while MobileRun does not.

As you may know, Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length. By default, we calculate your stride length using your height and gender.

If you've already tracked one or more activities with the connected GPS, we evaluate that data to automatically update your running stride length. For best results, run at a comfortable pace for at least 10 minutes.

If your distance measurement seems inaccurate after double checking the above information, follow the steps below to calculate your stride length and then add it to your Fitbit account.

1. Go to a track or some place where you're sure of the distance.
  2. Count your steps as you walk across that distance, making sure you travel at least 20 steps.
  3. Divide the total distance (in feet) taken by the number of steps to get your stride length.

Your running stride can be calculated the same way if you run instead of walk.

To adjust your stride lengths using the Fitbit app, tap or click the Account icon and find the Stride Length setting.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks. That’s useful information.

I have checked and my phone was set up correctly. So does this mean that I only need to set an activity on my Charge 2 and it will track the route using GPS? If so, why doesn’t it show the map on the App when I check my activity? Also, why when I tracked a walk on my phone and my watch at the same time, were the readings so different?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back @SarahBartWorking with the GPS sensors in your phone, MobileRun calculates distance, elevation, and pace for your walk, run, or hike. When the activity is done and you sync your tracker, you'll find all the data and a GPS map of your route in your exercise history.

If you wear your tracker while using MobileRun, the steps, active minutes, and calories burned that you see on your Fitbit dashboard come from the tracker. Otherwise your phone is used to calculate this data. During the workout you can view your elapsed distance, time, and average pace as well as use the music controls in the Fitbit app.

On the other hand, Fitbit Blaze and Fitbit Charge 2 work with the sensors on your nearby phone to track GPS data (known as "connected" GPS). You can also check the article "How do I use exercise apps and modes on my Fitbit device? to get a detailed information about tracking your exercises with Charge 2. 

To allow the Fitbit app to use your phone's GPS:

1. First, make sure your phone can track your location when you're out of Wi-Fi range:
    1. Open iOS Settings app and tap Cellular.
    2. Make sure Cellular Data is turned on.
  2. Next, ensure that your GPS can continue tracking when your phone is locked:
    1. Open the iOS Settings app and tap General.
    2. Tap Background App Refresh, find the Fitbit app, and make sure it is turned on.
  3. Lastly, make sure your phone can identify your location:
    1. Open the iOS Settings app and tap Privacy.
    2. Tap Location Services and make sure it’s turned on.
    3. Find Fitbit in the app list and make sure it's set to While Using the App or Always
  4. If the Fitbit app doesn’t appear in the Location Services app list:
    1. From your Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Exercise tile.
    2. Tap the stopwatch icon in the top-right corner.
    3. When the window pops up asking for access to your location, tap the Allow button.
    4. Return to step 3 to make sure your phone can identify your location.

After you complete a GPS activity and sync your device, the activity is saved to your exercise history in the Fitbit app. To find details on your route map that might be hard to see on your phone's screen, look at the map on a computer instead. To do so, log into fitbit.com. At the top of the dashboard, click Log > Activities to see your activity log (known as your exercise history in the Fitbit app). You can expand any workout to see more details.

Hope this helps a little more! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have gone through everything listed regarding GPS but my Fitbit simply wont track and show my route when I am out with my phone in my pocket. When I am at home on WiFi it works! It was working last week but this week not and as far as I am aware nothing has changed. What am I missing? Thanks. 

Best Answer