Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step counting not accurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

I bought my 1st fitbit charge2 a week ago. Before I purchased it, I asked my co-workers (which they own the charge hr & alta) how they like theirs and if they have any issues with it.  With their reviews, I decided to purchase one for myself. Well…my first use of the charge 2 was Saturday evening; the accuracy was I guess ok (since it was only for a few hours).  I wore it to bed to check out the sleep tracking feature and I guess I found it “eh”. I don’t think I’ll use it to sleep as often.  I do like the pulse monitor though. For the next few days, I was monitoring it and noticed that it was adding steps when I was getting dressed, combing my hair, hand movements (I talk with my hands). I work at a desk and do a lot of paperwork/order entry and noticed it was giving me steps for that as well 😕  It’s set to remind me to walk 250 steps an hour. But since it gives me steps while at my desk, sometimes it won’t remind me because it already tracked that I already did the steps or have only a few steps to go (e.i. 50 or 75).  I go up the stairs at work a few times a day and for some reason it tracked that I went up 12 times, which I actually went up 5 times. I reset it by charging it and pressing the side button. I even tried setting it to my dominant hand but wear it on my non-dominant and vice versa. I have a pedometer and I at times compare it to it, but of course I know it’s going to be off a few hundreds if anything. But not the charge 2, it’s off by almost 2,000 steps!  I can understand a few hundreds, but thousands? How am I going to know if I’m accomplishing my goal if it’s off by thousands? I’m even logging in the driving because it gives me steps (not much though) for that as well.  I guess when I turn the wheel, signaling, changing the station, etc. I bought this tracker because I sometimes forget to clip my pedometer on, misplaced it one time & thought it would be easier just to have a wrist one instead.  Also I wanted to see if I was getting a good amount of steps in a day, since I have to walk a lot do to a leg procedure I had done. And so it can remind me to move when I’m not moving do to my desk work.  Also, I joined a gym and wanted to track my progress and weigh loss. Maybe I bought a defective charge 2 or the firmware is not working on this one? Does the charge 2 or any tracker for that matter get to know the person who’s wearing it? Would it eventually become a bit more accurate within time? I know trackers are not 100% accurate. I'm thinking on returning this one & just sticking to my pocket pedometer.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

It's nice to see you around the Community @RL826, welcome! I'm very sorry to hear about the inconveniences you've been having with your buddy, thanks for your efforts in troubleshooting this already. 

I just wanna make sure that every recommendation and tip have been covered, therefore, I'd appreciate if you can take a look a this post and follow step-by-step of what was shared there. Once you've done that, please try this step accuracy test:

1. Put your wrist-based tracker on your wrist or put your clip-on tracker on your hip or torso.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If you keep getting a huge difference on your steps, try setting up your tracker as a new device (the set up procedure shouldn't affect on how the accuracy of your tracker is, but let's see if that does any change):

1. On the Fitbit apps for Android or Windows 10, tap the Account tab. On the Fitbit app for iOS, tap the icon in the top right.
  2. Tap Set Up a Device.
  3. Choose your tracker and follow the onscreen instructions to continue.
  4. Do the accuracy test again

Let me know how it goes! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Am I wrong in thinking the FitBit charge2 tracks arm movements and not actual steps? I walked up the block and back and did not swing my arms...lo and behold it tracked 215 steps.  Walked it again swinging my arms as usual....394 steps!  What's up with that??  If I'm on the treadmill and holding on to the sides, or wheeling the baby stroller or pushing a cart...my steps will not be tracked!

I feel totally ripped off by this tracker...I need to have accurate results to meet my fitness goals!!  Please advise...

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing. I had a Flex which was accurate and the Charge is not. I did the hundred step test multiple times, each tracking approximately 80-90 steps. Also, I notice that it doesn't begin to change the step number until I have walked 10-15 steps, then it begins. The Flex began immediately.

I've also had two days when the stair count was off by a large amount giving me more credit for flights which I didn't do. 

I will reset it, and if that doesn't work I will follow your directions to set it up as a new device.

Best Answer

Thanks for stopping by @Ladytucker @Linwhi3With wrist-based trackers, if you move your body a lot and not your arms (or vice versa), you may see a slight difference in step count than you would see if wearing a clip-based tracker on your torso. Man Wink

Note that if you're doing something like pushing a stroller or shopping cart, your wrist-based tracker will count your steps but the total may be slightly lower than usual.

For wrist-based trackers, it's important to specify whether you wear the tracker on your dominant or non-dominant wrist:

• The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving.
  • The non-dominant wrist setting increases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any under counting of steps. Non-dominant is the default.

To change your settings, in the Fitbit app go to Account tab and choose your tracker at the top of the screen.

If you feel that your step count and distance are inaccurate, first make sure the wrist placement settings are correct. Next, double check that you entered your height correctly. Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average. 

Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps (as you mentioned @Ladytucker), you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

On the other hand, as you may know, your Charge 2 uses both the accelerometer and the altimeter to track floors.  Algorithms interpret the raw data into a floor.  It registers a floor when it detects continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet.

Said that, here are some of the possible causes for this inaccuracy:

• The tracker may track floors while driving, on an elevator or in an escalator
  • Due to the Charge 2 is a wristband tracker, it may track floors while opening doors, from a weather change, or from a gust of wind (i.e.  pressure changes)

Occasionally your tracker may detect pressure changes unrelated to elevation gains, such as a gust of wind, weather change, or opening a door. Exposure to excess moisture can also result in extra floors being counted. This happens if the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker becomes temporarily blocked with sweat or water. I recommend that your tracker be worn loosely during exercise. 

I haven't experienced this before, I'd recommend checking what I posted above to see if something listed there is causing the discrepancy. 

I'll be around!

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

I wish I had read this before buying this thing. I had the Charge HR and loved it. I bought this thinking it was going to be just as good and accurate, no such luck. Adds thousands of steps a day. Worthless for tracking steps. Adds steps if I swing my arm while sitting in my chair, I'll swing it 8 or 10 times and it adds 16 to 20 steps. Very expensive since I basically use it as a watch. I don't understand why the Charge HR was so good and this is so lousy. I tried all the "fixes" including one not listed here, turning off Quick View. None of them work. I threw away the box and stuff it came in, so I don't even know if I can return it. I gave my granddaughter my Charge HR, so I can't go back to that. Really bummed out about the while thing.

Best Answer

My Fitbit is not accurately counting my steps since they updated the watch. 

Best Answer

This thread is making me sad. I was very excited to have received the charge 2 as a gift for Christmas, but I notice on a 9 hour road trip that I was getting steps while sitting in a car, and badges for floors as well. I have read the "fixes" Fitbit suggested on other posts for driving, but honestly I am VERY concerned about the overall accuracy and considering returning it, especially after all the comments I see here. 😞 

Best Answer

Me too... got as a Christmas as present and today I hit over 100,000 steps!  That’s ludicrous!  I have reset the watch twice and sent an email to Fitbit, but no solution yet.  I am thinking of returning it.  I have owned a standard flex for 5 years before this charge2 and wishing it would work as well.

Best Answer

Mine isn't that inaccurate, thank goodness, but ugghhh... this is my first, so I am kind of at a loss, and I just read an entire other thread about the inaccuracy in calorie info as well. Not sure what to think! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Jogger,
I only use it for step counting. If I put it on my right wrist and set it Wrist Placement and Handedness both to Right it is a lot more accurate. Evidently it will be less sensitive that way. I am actually Left handed, but wear it on my right. If I set it that way, that is when I notice the major inaccuracies.
Thom.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the tip, I am going to watch it pretty carefully over the next few days and may try this as a test. 

@ThomMitchell wrote:
Hi Jogger,
I only use it for step counting. If I put it on my right wrist and set it Wrist Placement and Handedness both to Right it is a lot more accurate. Evidently it will be less sensitive that way. I am actually Left handed, but wear it on my right. If I set it that way, that is when I notice the major inaccuracies.
Thom.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fascinating to read your response, I will certainly try this myself. I noticed today a huge discrepancy between my Fitbit Charge 2 and my Walkmeter iPhone App. Fitbit recorded 2.02 Miles, Walkmeter was 1.74. I have also been aware that the steps don’t appear to be accurate as well as counting stairs when I don’t have any! Hopeful that by following your instruction I can be reassured. I also attempted a Restore but by charging and holding the button and deleting the app, my Data was still there. Very worrying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 2 has the same problem.  I work at a desk all day and occasionally get up to get prints or go to the restroom. I might accomplish 300 steps if I'm lucky. Which is why I bought it in the first place. To get me to move more. But it looks like I don't have to do anything different and with the Charge 2, I miraculously run 2 miles a day without ever leaving my desk! This thing cost a lot of money to not work and not be able to accomplish the most basic function it was designed to do. 

Best Answer

As there are continuing discrepancies I have decided to change to my left wrist. Also I am attempting to use other Apps to verify distance and steps. As you say very disappointing with the tremendous cost and promises given.

Best Answer
Good idea.

Annie

Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world.
— Blessed Pope Pius IX
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know how accurate the Fitbit steps are, but I learned today that I can rack up lots of steps while sitting in my recliner petting my dog.

Best Answer
0 Votes
LOL

Ann

Turn yourself around like a piece of clay and say to the Lord: I am clay, and you, the potter. Make of me what you will.

-St. John of Avila
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same!  I returned mine as it did not accurately provide correct heart rate and steps.  I reset it and walked two steps and it showed 76 steps....

@RL826 wrote:

Hi

I bought my 1st fitbit charge2 a week ago. Before I purchased it, I asked my co-workers (which they own the charge hr & alta) how they like theirs and if they have any issues with it.  With their reviews, I decided to purchase one for myself. Well…my first use of the charge 2 was Saturday evening; the accuracy was I guess ok (since it was only for a few hours).  I wore it to bed to check out the sleep tracking feature and I guess I found it “eh”. I don’t think I’ll use it to sleep as often.  I do like the pulse monitor though. For the next few days, I was monitoring it and noticed that it was adding steps when I was getting dressed, combing my hair, hand movements (I talk with my hands). I work at a desk and do a lot of paperwork/order entry and noticed it was giving me steps for that as well 😕  It’s set to remind me to walk 250 steps an hour. But since it gives me steps while at my desk, sometimes it won’t remind me because it already tracked that I already did the steps or have only a few steps to go (e.i. 50 or 75).  I go up the stairs at work a few times a day and for some reason it tracked that I went up 12 times, which I actually went up 5 times. I reset it by charging it and pressing the side button. I even tried setting it to my dominant hand but wear it on my non-dominant and vice versa. I have a pedometer and I at times compare it to it, but of course I know it’s going to be off a few hundreds if anything. But not the charge 2, it’s off by almost 2,000 steps!  I can understand a few hundreds, but thousands? How am I going to know if I’m accomplishing my goal if it’s off by thousands? I’m even logging in the driving because it gives me steps (not much though) for that as well.  I guess when I turn the wheel, signaling, changing the station, etc. I bought this tracker because I sometimes forget to clip my pedometer on, misplaced it one time & thought it would be easier just to have a wrist one instead.  Also I wanted to see if I was getting a good amount of steps in a day, since I have to walk a lot do to a leg procedure I had done. And so it can remind me to move when I’m not moving do to my desk work.  Also, I joined a gym and wanted to track my progress and weigh loss. Maybe I bought a defective charge 2 or the firmware is not working on this one? Does the charge 2 or any tracker for that matter get to know the person who’s wearing it? Would it eventually become a bit more accurate within time? I know trackers are not 100% accurate. I'm thinking on returning this one & just sticking to my pocket pedometer.

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Charge 2. How can it count steps when it not being worn? I have had foot surgery and am not wearing it. On all days it has shown I have done steps( even though it is sitting on a cupoard). On one day it actually shows I did 2221 steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes