Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 black screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Sometime between 6am-10am my Fitbit Charge 3 just stopped working. The screen is black and the button is unresponsive. I have had issue in the past few weeks where it would randomly do this but only for a few minutes at a time. It has now been hours and my Fitbit never turned back on. I followed the steps in the troubleshooting and plugged my Charge 3 into my PC but it still never turned back on.

Please help!

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
300 REPLIES 300

Mine has just started doing the same thing and it won’t tuen on again

Best Answer

Hey @JS2017 and @lospro, welcome to the Community.

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this issue and would like to know if you have tried to restart your devices? If you haven't, I recommend restarting them by doing the following:

1. Plug the charging cable into the USB port on your computer or any UL-certified USB wall charger.
  2. Clip the other end of the charging cable to the port on the back of the tracker. The pins on the charging cable must lock securely with the port.
  3. Make sure the button on your tracker is aligned with the button opening on the charging cable. You’ll know the connection is secure when the tracker vibrates and you see a battery icon on your tracker’s display. 
  4. Press and hold the button to restart your tracker:
    • Press and hold the button on your tracker for 8 seconds. Release the button. When you see a smile icon and the tracker vibrates, the tracker restarted.
  5. Unplug your tracker from the charging cable.

Let me know how it goes. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I have the same issue; however, when i press the side button of the charge 3, it vibrates every time!  Just no visuals displayed.

I have ran through the same restart procedure and it vibrates the first touch and vibrates again after 3 seconds, but no further vibrate or restart request on onscreen after 8 seconds.  

It did this on the first week, but just the screen reappeared after a couple of hours!  Bizarre.

FYI my Charge 3 is up to date:-)

Best Answer

Exactly the same has happened to mine today.  It vibrates and then again after a few seconds but doesn't restart.

Please help 😞

Edit - I was trying to do this via a USB port on my laptop, just tried a wall plug and it's rebooted.

Best Answer

Hello all. I have had my fit bit for a little over a month now and all has been working fine up until yesterday. The Fitbit screen is totally black. I have tried to connect it to my pc with the charging cable and holding the side button down for well over 8 seconds to no avail. I have tried this several times. It is still syncing and recording all the things it should be (checking through the app), it's just that the screen won't wake. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

Best Answer

I contacted Fitbit support and was given this info to perform a forced reboot.  It worked for me for about a day and back to square one.  Support have accepted there is a fault and i've had to return the item, and then they will ship out a new one for me.  Been three weeks since the shipment of the returned item and still not recieved a replacment yet!  Had to contact support for an update, a little frustarted in the time to get a replacement.  If i knew it would be this long to sort out a 14 day old device i would of returned it to Argos where i originally purchased it from and got an instant replacement.

Details to hard reboot:

1. Plug the device into the charging cable. 
  2. While the device is plugged into the charging cable, hold the button down for 15 seconds. 
  3. Tell the customer to remove their finger from button. Note: Device won't have a smiley face icon and should be off with a black screen.
  4. Remove the device from the charging cable.
  5. Plug the device into the charging cable again. 
  6. The smiley face icon appears on the screen. 
Best Answer

Hey @RoxyRoller@Versiongirl welcome to the Community @scoobyfella great to see you around.

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this issue. @scoobyfella it's great to know that you will be receiving a replacement.

@RoxyRoller and @VersiongirlI've gone ahead and escalated your cases to our support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions.

Catch you later. Smiley Happy

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
@scoobyfella - THANK YOU! What you recommended worked. Hopefully it will
continue to work properly so I don't have to experience what you are having
to go through. Hope you get your "new" one soon. Thanks again!
Best Answer

Thanks for the update @RoxyRoller.

I am glad to hear that our friend's recommendation worked and that your tracker is now working properly. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Keep the stepping up! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit has also been unresponsive on occasion where pressing the side button does nothing and it take awhile for it to work. It was like that when I first got it in October and then got better. After downloading the most recent update it has been happening more frequently. Today it has happened 4 times. I did restart it and it still happens. This never happened on my charge 2. I wish I would’ve returned it for a different one before the return period ran out. Very disappointed and it sounds like a common issue with the charge 3.

Best Answer

Great to see new faces @Guinness835, welcome!

I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this display issue. Since the restart process didn't work, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our support team, for them to take a deeper look at this. Please keep an eye on your inbox for further instructions.

Keep me posted. Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had the same problem, so i tried to change the clock face in via the app and it worked 😛

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @Parker93. Thanks for the tip provided, I am glad to hear that changing your clock face worked and that your tracker is now working properly. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Happy stepping! Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you all for the tips on rebooting the device to clear the black screen.  I have tried all of the above and nothing seems to work.  My device still tracks and registers, but the face is black.  The device is not even a month old, so this is very frustrating.

I did all but update the clock face and it worked!  Hoping it stays. 

Best Answer

Good to see you here @Etzkalafut. I appreciate all the efforts in trying to fix this display issue. It's great to know that your tracker is now working properly. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Let's keep the stepping up! Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

this procedure worked for me

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Community @Luch3.

I am glad to hear that the instructions provided in this thread worked for you and that your tracker is now working properly. If there is anything else we can help you with, do not hesitate to post it.

Let's keep the stepping up! Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

This fixed my issue! Thank yooouu ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

The hard reboot worked, thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes