Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 screen not responding to taps

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I first got my Charge 4 a few weeks ago it responded exactly the same as my previous Charge 3. So when I turned my wrist it would illuminate, on the few occasions where it didn't if I tapped the screen it would. Now it will only do so if I squeeze the side button. Once it's illuminated it responds as normal though.

I've tried to restart my device but it hasn't made any difference.

Everything else works fine it's just a pain that it's not illuminating as before

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Same issue here, just stopped working and can't enable the "Screen wake" function, it's greyed out.

tilt or tap to wake both don't work anymore.

FIX: If you long press the side button you see 3 options, you likely enabled SLEEP by mistake, just press that and SCREEN WAKE will enable again!

That will fix the tap and tilt to wake

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @Chelle2207. Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for letting me know that your Charge 4 screen isn't working correctly and for the steps tried on your own. I'm sorry that you're going through this experience and let me give you a hand. Just before anything else, please make sure the Screen Wake function is enabled within the Settings app on your Charge 4. If by restarting your device you mean to have pressed the side button while being plugged in, I'd recommend to access the Settings app on your Charge 4 screen, tap on About and then on Reboot to test its behavior.

Let me know how it goes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue here, just stopped working and can't enable the "Screen wake" function, it's greyed out.

tilt or tap to wake both don't work anymore.

FIX: If you long press the side button you see 3 options, you likely enabled SLEEP by mistake, just press that and SCREEN WAKE will enable again!

That will fix the tap and tilt to wake

Best Answer

@Tom_2103. Welcome on board!

Thanks for sharing the issues experienced with your Charge 4 and the steps tried to get it working again. You did an awesome job and I'm sure other members will find your post very helpful to troubleshoot their trackers. If there's anything else I can do for you, please keep me posted.

See you around!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Tom

I was about to return my Charge 4 back to the shop where purchased; as you state, I must have inadvertently put the Fitbit to sleep, your FIX fixed it, thanks! 👍

Best Answer
Perfect! Glad I could help.
I drove me crazy for a few hours until I figured it out.
Best Answer

Hi @JojoTerry and @Tom_2103. I hope you're doing well.

@JojoTerry, thanks for joining this thread and sharing that the suggestion posted above helped you. I'm glad that you were able to get your Charge 4 responsive when tapping on it and I hope you continue enjoying the experience.

@Tom_2103, since your post was helpful in this thread, I'll choose it as the Best Answer to help other friends experiencing similar issues. 😊

I'll be around if you need anything else!

Best Answer

So helpful - thank you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @MrsVon. Welcome. It's great to see a new face around!

I'm glad the tips shared in this thread helped you to get your Charge 4 working. By the way, let me invite you to visit our Health & Wellness board where you will find great tips and encouragement from other members.

Hope to see you around more often! 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you SO much.  Appreciate you taking the time to help us.

Best Answer

Hi @SusieQute. It's nice to see you here in the forums.

You're very welcome. I'm glad the steps worked for you and I hope you continue enjoying the Fitbit experience with your Charge 4. In case you have some spare time, check out our Health & Wellness board where you can share your stories, make new friends and find great tips to reach your goals.

Have a good one! 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @AZJimbo. Welcome to the Community Forums.

You're welcome! Thanks for trying the steps suggested in this thread and I'm glad they helped you. I hope you continue enjoying the Fitbit experience and let me invite you to the Health & Wellness board where you can find great recipes, fitness tips and encouragement from other members.

Have a good one. 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much!!!! This was very helpful and simple to fix:-)

Best Answer

Welcome, @JayjBee. It's nice to see a new face around.

Thanks for your efforts while troubleshooting your Charge 4. I'm glad you sorted this out and I hope you can keep crushing your goals. Let me invite you to visit our Health & Wellness board where you can make new friends, start your own topics and find great encouragement from other members to live a healthy lifestyle.

Keep up the super stepping! 😎

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a similar issue, but it's not related to "Sleep" being on.

Lately I've been having a problem where my Charge 4 wakes up properly (wrist tilt or side button) and I can swipe around through the screens, but when I try to tap on an option, it won't respond and locks up for a few seconds. Typically I notice this when I'm out and trying to start an exercise track like Hike or Bike and I cannot get it to start because when I tap on "Exercise" nothing happens. The side button and swiping still work, just not the taps. If I try again later, it may or may not work. Battery is fully charged, so it's not that.

It also seems silly that there's no way to reboot the Charge 4 without plugging it in first. I'm guessing a reboot might fix the problem, but of course I'm out of the house and have no way to plug in my device to reboot it. Why can't a super long press of the side button reboot it like every other device I have? Why the "plugged in" requirement?

Anyway, if you could suggest some things to fix the "not responsive to taps" function that I'm experiencing, I'd appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SunsetRunner. It's nice to see you around.

I'm sorry you continue having this experience with your Charge 4 and thanks for the detailed information, as well as your efforts while working on this prior to posting. I understand this usually happens when you're outside; however, may I know if you've tried the restart process when you're back at home? If not, please give a try and monitor your tracker in the next days to see how it goes.

By the way, let me clarify that you can also perform the restart from your tracker itself. To do that, just swipe left from the clock face, open the Settings app, tap About and then Reboot Device.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have since restarted my device (at home, plugged in) and will see if/when this happens again.

Thanks for the tip about the "Reboot Device" option hidden under About! Although, that won't help me with this particular problem since the screen stops responding to taps so while I could swipe left, when I try to tap Settings, nothing would happen so I wouldn't be able to drill down into About/Reboot.

Thanks again.

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner. It's good to see again.

You're welcome and thanks to you for trying the suggestions posted above. I'm sorry the issue persists with your Charge 4 and because the possible troubleshooting was exhausted, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Support team so they can evaluate your options and bring you back on track. Please click here to get connected with them via chat or phone, and make sure to share the steps you've tried so far.

Have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After ages of having to squeeze the side button get any response which is not always possible sometimes,  I saw your fix. It worked perfectly and all in order once again !! Thanks

Best Answer