Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.61

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

7/13 Update: We’re continuing to roll out this firmware for the Charge 5 Firmware Update 194.61, and expect more customers are able to update their devices. This is a progressive rollout and all customers can expect to have it within a few weeks. We release updates in phases so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. If you don't see the option to update, don't worry - you'll have it soon!

We’re excited to announce that a firmware update version 194.61 for Charge 5 will be available soon! Some of you might already have this update available. If you installed it, let us know what you think!

We release updates to customers in phases. If you don’t see it, check the Fitbit app in a few days, and you’ll see a message when you can install the update. We appreciate your patience while we get this update to all of our customers.

*Firmware releases are not distributed based on region or location and can reach anyone no matter where you reside. We do not recommend performing a factory reset to force the update to your device as your data will be lost and you may not get the update. Please be patient and wait until you see the update banner inside of the Fitbit app to begin the firmware download.

WHAT’S NEW AND FIXED

Full release notes can be found here. For more details, please 
see this Community Blog post.

HOW DO I UPDATE?
See How do I update my Fitbit device? for step by step instructions for updating your Charge 5. If you run into difficulty updating, review these Why can't I update my Fitbit device?

We’re interested in hearing your feedback on this update! Let us know what you like! If you encounter unexpected behavior during or after your update, please post the details below.

Best Answer
1,167 REPLIES 1,167

My device went black before I could even upgrade unless it did an auto update. I don’t know. 

Best Answer

@kerrieBBOZ  No just the app. I have not yet received the firmware update prompt 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 5 went bad just a couple days prior to the warranty ending. They made me mail it in. They have now given me 2 choices. 1- Free replacement with a Charge 5, 2- 50% off any other product. I opted for the 50% off and went with the Sense 2. If you look at their forums, they are also having update issues. When the Sense 2 arrives, if it is not already updated and functioning, I won't update it. I was going to get the Apple Watch Series 8, as I have all Apple products, but I just don't need that much stuff at twice the cost. If the Sense 2 fails, then I will go to Apple. Last chance, Fitbit. Get it right real quick or sink the company. I know Google can afford it, and push their own line of products, but as we have seen in the corporate world lately, it will trickle down to their future products. No more Bud Light in Any Small Town.

Best Answer

I have asked why they have not done a recall on this product due to all the unhappy customer. 

I get no answer.

Best Answer

It's been a month now and still no sign. Any update? MY Charge 5 is unusable because of the Pay/Wallet bug (it just keeps buzzing asking to add a card until it runs out of battery).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good bye Fitbit. Just bought a much cheaper Xiaomi Mi Band 7. I can buy 3 for the price of a Charge 5 so even if I have to replace it as often as the Charge 5, I will be ahead of the game.

I still can't believe what Fitbit has done and they don't seem to care. Can't figure out what business model knowingly destroys their brand like this. I am sure their are smarter MBAs than me that know what they are doing...

Best Answer

@MAH62 I don't think that device has ECG does it? The main reason I moved from my Amazfit to the charge 5 was for that feature, as my father recently had AFib and I want to detect if I have it too (so far no!) Other than that it looks like a good option for people to move to when Fitbit bricks their device. 

Best Answer
I never used that feature so won't miss it.

Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer

My FitbIt is now unresponsive. BLack screen and no response to hard reset via the charging cable.

What to do??

-------------

Since we've exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps, our warranty team will review your case and will provide your possible options...

.I'd like to share with you that we currently do not have available service centers available to assist customers with repairs.

Alright then. That went nowhere.

-------------

Mine is unable to sync or communicate. Per their instructions, I unlinked the watch and reinstalled the app, to no avail. So even if they fix the software, I guess i can't access it!

Best Answer

Fitbit sent me a replacement watch. On the day/today I recieved the new one I connected the charger to the old one just to check. I have been doing that for the last week, just because I want to be sure it is useless.

It actually booted with some problem. After some charging (it said 1% when starting) I could perform the update available in app. The update was performed with some issues. No apps was installed after update and had to be synced. After the update charge level went quickly from 99% to 85%. The watch was really slow, so I restarted it. Now it looks more promising and it has only dropped 1% of charge within 2 hours.

But the firmware is 188.58 (not 194.61) and no update is available in app any more...

I will not celebrate until I see that it really keep charge like normal. And I don't know what will happen if the uppdate appear again.

I guess I will not turn on water lock either. Anything else I should not do with it?

Best Answer

It's not the fact that the battery runs down fast or the software update is problematic. It's that the information is incorrect. The hours slept is always wrong. The SPO2 never works. The main one for me is I have respiratory problems. So when I'm short of breath and my heart is going fast trying to get oxygen around my body. My watch praises me on earning Zone minutes. I'm sorry. I'm laying down not moving but my watch doesn't recognise this. Last time I was in hospital. I compared the hospitals monitor to my charge 5. Then realised how crap it was. I would really like my money back. Do a recall of your faulty product. 

------------

I live in Australia as well. I don't think Fitbit care. They should do a recall. 

------------

Good luck with that. They can send your Fitbit away to be repaired instead of replacing it or giving your money back. Do yourself a favour try and get your money back. I wish I had found and read this forum before my warranty ran out. 

------------

How do you know it's a good tracker. Have you tested the information it gives you. I have last time I was in hospital and it wasn't good. It tells me I'm earning Zone Minutes when I laying down having an Asthma attack. It can't even tell that I'm not moving. This product is crap. 

Best Answer
Same!
Best Answer

Didn't pay anything for my replacement. Just did a live chat and in 17 days o got a replacement and I did not do an update on it.

Best Answer

Was yours under warranty?

Mine is 4 months beyond and all they offer is the ridiculous 35% discount on a new product. I have pointed out that I should not be paying for something they wrecked.

Best Answer

@M_W-L This is exactly what happened with me too!!! 

I'm currently running 188.58 but have no idea if that's what I was running when I got the update prompt. And apparently Fitbit Support cannot tell me how long I've been running this version. I don't have the update prompt any more, but it doesn't make sense to have received a prompt to update to an old version! 

Best Answer

None of your suggestions for solving the problem work, as you can see by everyone else’s comments in this thread. But here’s my question, is a patch/fix coming or should we all just throw our Fitbits in the trash?

Best Answer

Yes, bought it from best buy and it was still under warranty. People should really pay for extended warranties for electrical items, most of the times it will never be used. But I'm glad I paid for it.

Best Answer

They didn't even offer me anything .  

Best Answer

Thanks Fitbit/Google for killing my Charge 5. Burned through full charge in 2 hours, basically nothing works. I hear fitbit is offering a 30% off coupon for a new watch. Users should all get new watches or off we all go to a different brand. Thanks Google!

My fitbit app says I have Firmware Version 57.20001.188.58. But I have the same issues as most everyone else mentions. Currently my watch is completely unusable.

Edit, finally was able to do a reset, 3rd one today, we shall see what happens.

Best Answer

replacements should be offered to all owners with bricked devices AFTER they take down the current update and post a WORKING firmware since any new replacements are more than likely going to brick if updated to the same bad firmware update they are still pushing out

Best Answer