Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 Not Tracking Sleep

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought a Charge 5 for my wife for Christmas and it doesn't track her sleep. I now see that this is a common issue with these, something she didn't have with her Charge 3. We've tried a few suggestions, but nothing has seemed to work. One night it did start recording 4 hours after she went to sleep. Is this something that can be fixed with settings or should I just return it?

Best Answer
135 REPLIES 135

Have tried deleting previous logs still sleep not working properly 

Best Answer

I am having trouble with my fitbit charge 5. Stupid really cause it was brought with the intention of tracking sleep as a priority. I never had problems with my fitbit 4 until the strap attachment mechanism disintergrated on me. Sigh. Looks like my next tracker won't be a fitbit unless this is resolved quickly. 

Best Answer

This happened to me when I tried to use a different clock face. Once I changed it back to the original Continuum clock face it started tracking everything again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For the last 2 nights my Charge 5 has stopped tracking my sleep.   I have charged it cleaned it tightened the band.  It was working fine until Sunday.  Any suggestions?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

Hi everyone, thank you for all the updates that you've shared so far and for sharing the steps that worked out for you. A warm welcome to all the new users in the Community as well. 

This information has been shared with the team so they can look into it, thank you for sharing all your feedback and your experience with this so far. In the meantime, make sure that you've tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned here earlier and please try changing the clock face option on the device, as it seems this has been useful for other users. 

If you continue to experience the same inconvenience after all the steps suggested, please get in touch with the Customer Support team for further assistance. Click here to get connected. 

See you around.

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this last night and it hasn't worked for me. I got a reading of 1 hour for the first hour of sleep but then nothing.  Sigh,

Best Answer

I just got my first FitBit, a Charge 5, primarily for the purpose of tracking sleep.

There seems to be both a hardware issue and a software issue.

(1) Hardware:  the FitBit often isn't detecting anything for large chunks of the night when I'm definitely in bed sleeping, with the FitBit fully charged and on my wrist correctly and in Sleep mode.  It starts and stops for no apparent reason.  e.g. I'll start to sleep at 9:30pm and wake up at 5:30am, without getting up at all, but the FitBit only logs from, say, 10pm-1am and then again 2-5:30am.

(2) Software:  when the FitBit goes through a chunk of time where it doesn't detect anything, it logs the night as multiple completely separate nights of sleep, e.g. one night is 3 hours and another night is 4 hours, even though it's all one night and I haven't gotten up from bed and I've kept my FitBit in sleep mode the entire time.  I don't take it out of sleep mode until I get up in the morning.  If there's a chunk of time when the FitBit doesn't detect sleep patterns, shouldn't the software just log it as Awake, or even "No Data" or something, so there is one log for the night instead of multiple disconnected ones?  I don't mind if there are some grey "no data" areas on the log, but I do mind not being able to look at or track the log for the full night because the software treats it as several separate "nights".

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Is there a software patch?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community forums, @Graciesgirl @Innerpath

Thanks for sharing that you're having this inconvenience with your Charge 5 as well. 

I've moved your post to this thread, since there are other users experiencing this same inconvenience. In the case that you already tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned here earlier, please make sure to get in touch with our Customer Support team for further assistance with this. Click here to get connected. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try doing any updates available. It worked for me. My Charge 4 disintegrated too.
Best Answer

My new charge 5 sporadically tracks my sleep, my old Fitbit was excellent and never missed a night.  Why won’t it track??

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing the steps that worked out for you, @PremiumIsARipof! I'm sure this will be useful for other users as well. 

See you around.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community forums, @Hfoucs

Thank you for confirming that you've been having this inconvenience with your Charge 5. 

I've moved your post to this thread, since it's related to the same topic.  Before considering other options, please make sure that you already tried all the troubleshooting steps mentioned here earlier, as they have been useful for other users. 

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for describing this problem perfectly. There are two new-last-week Charge 5s in our household and since about January 11 the same thing has been happening to both. Personally, I sleep like a corpse. You’ve saved me a lot of words!

Best Answer

Still don’t get a sleep score on the app.  Used to work fine. Not for the last week

Best Answer

Charge 5 tracked sleep properly for 5 days now its back to no sleep score etc

Best Answer

So glad I read these posts.  Thank you everyone.   I was just about to upgrade from a Charge 3 to a Charge 5 until.... Until my 3 stopped giving me detailed sleep information.  My understanding is that the details we used to get for free are only available to premium customers now.  So... no Charge 5 for me.  Switching to a different watch and different company.  I wish Fitbit had stuck by it's hardware for revenue - they would have had more loyal customers.

-------

It's happening with the Charge 3 as well....

Best Answer

I am beginning to think this is linked to manually putting the device into sleep mode either from the app or the watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the Fitbit Charge 5 for Christmas.  Had nothing but trouble with the sleep tracking function and went thru every suggestion available.  Finally returned it and got a replacement, just in case it was the watch, not the software.  Got my new one and first night was perfect, last night not so much.  It truncated my sleep on both ends.  I was able to fix the times to the correct info, but of course, no sleep score.  I still have my Charge 4 and it tracks my sleep flawlessly.  

I would think Fitbit would have gotten a fix for this by now.  Very disappointing, especially in light of how many people are having the same problem.  Going to have to return this one and try some other brand.  

Best Answer

On the USB end of the charger push the button three times waiting a few seconds between while attached to your watch. That should help reset it. It worked with mine after trying it when it wasn’t tracking sleep for several days. They say also to leave the app open on your phone at night running in the background and then refresh your sync to make it load to your phone

Best Answer

Hi everyone, I appreciate all the information that you've been sharing about this problem and the troubleshooting steps that have been useful for some of you. Welcome to the new users in the Community. 

If you're new to this thread, please know that this information has been shared with the team so they can look into it. In the meantime and if you haven't done so already, please follow all the recommendations listed here earlier. In the case that you're still having trouble to track your sleep after all the steps suggested, please get in touch with the Customer Support team for further assistance. Click here to get connected. 

If you're not getting sleep information, you won't receive a sleep score, but if you do get sleep stages and you don't receive a sleep score, please follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this post

See you around.

Best Answer