Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 battery draining quickly after the update

Updated the firmware on my Charge 5 and immediately the battery, which had no issues previously, started draining within 24 hours. Three days later it is now completely dead and won't charge. Fitbit is taking zero responsibility for this even though it is their update that caused the issue. I'm assuming other people are experiencing this as well? I find it completely unacceptable...

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118

I've had whatever variety of Fitbit devices over the last near-decade, and remained loyal despite a few device malfunctions/deaths.  I was even excited when Google took over, expecting quality and innovation.  Instead this is how my brand loyalty comes to an end.  What a shame. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Moved to Google and Fitbit charge 5 went from lasting a week to 24 hours. What the heck?  Insane

Google needs to fix this!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry bot going to happen, They suggest for me to purchase a new Charge 5..
Thanks but no thanks was my reply. I suggested to them to read all the post
in the Community Forum, That many people with the same problem.....Of
draining battery....With that many people complaining of the same
thing...They have a major problem....
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've also started having these problems with my charge5 (a few months later). My battery is draining within 2 hours! Another forum suggested removing the Spo2 app, which I've done but that hasn't fixed it. I have to say I'm shocked at Fitbit not taking responsibility for this - so clearly a sw issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Call the FitBit helpline guys! I just called them and explained that my device won’t charge after the update and they are replacing the device (also offered 50% off a newer model). Very easy phone call, just needed to confirm my account, no proof of purchase needed either, as it was a gift.

good luck, get yourself a free replacement as this was an update issue, not a user error!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Most of us have called them ,but being as we were out of warranty range was
a no go for us... their solution was buy a new one ....They have made no
effort to look into the problem with the update that has caused the
problem....other than to buy another...That is not good
customer service...We haven't asked for a new device we're asking them to
resolve the problem...You device was probably still under warranty...
Best Answer
0 Votes

That sucks! Mine was out of warranty but they replaced it as it was their fault they bricked my device. I just pointed out that it was their fault and the lady sent a new one which I received the next day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good for you! It is interesting though, as you are seemingly the only one that wasn’t told you are out of luck, and to just go buy another one. Especially, as you say, it was out of warranty.
I guess you’re very lucky, and to live so close to a distributor that could get a replacement to you the next day, to boot!
LOL! Thats like Dominos delivery!
🤔 🤔
Best Answer

To be fair, I’m well due a bit of good luck!

But, I think as they replaced mine, they ought to replace everyone else’s, as the situation is the same for everyone. They can’t brick everyone’s devices due to a dodgy update and expect their customers to absorb the hit and foot the bill for a new one. This was an error created by FitBit, so they ought to fix it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm happy that you didn't have to go through what so many people have. I had just renewed my 1 year premium subscription when mine bricked due to the update. I made multiple good faith calls to customer support, I worked through all the suggestions on this forum, thinking that somehow my device would work again. When I finally had the face the fact it was gone, I had to begin the journey of trying to get my money back for my premium subscription. I tried everything including protesting the charge with my credit card company. Again, without luck. I hope your experience is a glimmer of hope for others, but I kinda doubt it.

Best Answer

I agree with the battery drain, which is  bad, and the ridiculous sleep display that I don’t even want to look at anymore because it makes me so mad! You people need to fix that now. 

Best Answer

I have exact same problem today.  Thought it might be related to my swim!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got the same issue, battery drained within 1-2 hours and I am running on the latest firmware 57.20001.188.58. My Fitbit 5 worked perfectly, gave me nearly 10 days of battery life and suddenly out of no where the issue appeared after I connected my phone to another Bluetooth device (my earbuds). And after trying everything (pressing 3 times on the button in the charging cable, restart, etc), here is what FIXED the issue for me: I clicked on the Bluetooth icon in my phone (not from Fitbit app) and unpair Fitbit 5 and make sure Fitbit 5 is no longer in the Paired devices list (please note that Fitbit 5 app is still using Bluetooth to connect your phone to your Fitbit) and voila! it works perfectly once again. I hope this will help. cheers

Best Answer

The sleep display is vile, whoever came up with that!?!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue with fast battery drain. I’ve been offered 50% off but idk if I want another Fitbit after this fiasco. 

Anyone have a good recommendation for a competitor? I’ve been using Fitbit since the original Charge HR

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes my charge 5 (bought may 2023) loses charge completely in 24 hours. it's maddening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. Got one early last year, had a nearly week-long battery until this week. Now I'm lucky if it makes it a day. Waiting for a response from FitBit still...

Best Answer
0 Votes

unfortunately, I can confirm that this does NOT work, even turning off Bluetooth on the phone does not stop this battery draining madness. 

Best Answer

I did an update to my Charge5 end January this year. From my earlier posts on this thread, I can confirm that no matter what you try, or what Customer support advises, it does not work. I have, in good faith, retrieved my fitbrick5 from its dark corner in a drawer to just see if the issue sonehow fixed itself in a cloud somewhere, but unfortunately it only keeps charge on the charger and that totally defeats the purpose of a wearable watch. 
Not sure why Google is not acknowledging the fact at all and nowhere is it a trending topic anywhere…

Best Answer