Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 black screen

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

We have a Charge 5 that's only a few months old. This morning it stopped synching. The screen is black. We have tried the reset and it only flashes the Fitbit logo and does nothing else. Not sure what else to do.

Best Answer
336 REPLIES 336

A week ago also got a black screen. Fitbit in NL very helpful, charge 5 will be replaced. Strange thing is still trying to connect and charge the (old) kdevice now becomes really really hot! 

Best Answer

I also experience the same problem. Blank screen even from restarting the device as per instructions. Fitbit from Australia advised me someone will get in contact with me and may possibly be a replacement if it cannot be fixed.

I have a hunch that it will be replaced due to water getting into my device even though Fitbit says it's waterproof and would need regular cleaning. I can see moisture in the sensors. I would hope to see future versions to have better quality materials so water don't enter.

Moderator Edit: Word choice

Best Answer

Hi Peter,

As I’m on holiday and I did swim with the Fitbit before it now completely ended working it could make sense what you’re saying. Before this week I also had some swimming but no strange things until I noted that my battery sometimes was strangle quick empty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Ronald1966,

Did you get a resolution from Fitbit?

I've owned a different brand and their make was much more sturdier, much better quality. Just hope there's improvements in the next one

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Peter,

They have send me a new one. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have to say I'm quite impressed by Fitbit; my 5 died this morning - black screen, unresponsive, tried restarting.  I put it on the charger and it showed 1% battery (having been at 83% first thing this morning).  Every time I took it off the charger, it restarted and the battery went back to 1%.  Got on to customer services and they're sending me a new one, despite the old one being 3 weeks or so out of warranty.  Great customer service (although, obviously, a more resilient device would be better!).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do not work for mw.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For the second time in less than a year, Fitbot replaced my Charge 5 under warranty.  I think that says a lot about how they stand behind their products. I like the value I get for the money I paid and my prior device; a Charge 3, worked for years without issue.  I hope whatever is frying the Charge 5s can end..  Meantime, If yours is faulty, contact Fitbit directly and hopefully you'll get excellent service as I have.  Thanks Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have reset my Charge 5 using this method previously but my fitbit is totally nonresponsive today.  Not accepting a charge and not 'resetting'... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did not work for my 3-month old Charge 5. Waiting for email with options for warranty in effect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes my Charge 5 have the exact same issue today. 

And i try to reset many times but nothing responding.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Then make the call to Fitbit customer service. I did and they walked me
through one other method to reset my Charge 5. When that didn't work, they
sent me a replacement. My Charge 5 was just 4 months old. Good luck!--
nonsequitr
Best Answer

@CoffeePDX 

100% support!
Charge 3 was so good. 
I had mine from the time it was released in 2018 (?) until May this year and swapped for 5 because it was so scratched I could not see my steps count anymore! And here I am, waiting for my replacement piece…

Best Answer

I have had to reset my Fitbit Charge 5 several times in the directed manner.  But it doesn't work.  After several years of being a dedicated FitBit user and premium subscriber I am moving to Apple watch.  Sorry fitbit but quality, reliability & service are terrible and you have been riding on the tails of your early technical leadership... what a shame.

Best Answer
Boy! I know exactly how you feel. I’ve owned every one of all five Charge releases and had a problem with each. They replaced my Charge 5, after 2 months, so I’ll keep it for now. I’m more than happy to say adios to fitbit (lower case) but only hang on bc of the smaller size it offers. I like the premium health features but I’m prepared to give it all up bc of the unreliability of their watches! Horrendous quality issues. They were the first to market and made the most of it while we paid through the nose. However, the competition has caught up and more attractive options exist today.
Best Answer

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing that you've been experiencing the same problem and for confirming that you already tried a few troubleshooting steps. It seems that some of you have also been able to resolve or get in touch with the Support team. 

In this case, if you already tried the recommendations shared here previously and you continue to experience the same problem with the display, I do recommend that you get in touch with the Customer Support so they can provide you with the next steps. They will let you know how to proceed. 

The best way to get help for this problem is to chat with us online or give us a call. You can click here to get connected. 

Thanks again for taking the time to share all your feedback and comments about this. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

I am having a similar issue where my device was working completely fine, and now it does not display anything on the screen.  The 3 button restart does not fix the display, but I can feel it vibrate (and I assume) restart.  It still sporadically syncs, and appears to still capture data, but without a display, the device is pretty useless.

According to support, since I purchased this 14 months ago, it is not under warranty, and they will only offer a discount on another device - why would I want to spend more money on devices from fitbit if they stop working and there is no explanation as to why this is happening.  If there is an actual 'real' explanation as to this issue, then please advise, as it seems pretty ridiculous to believe that the device screen would completely fail without some kind of defective product.  Especially since this is not a one off, and has been reported repeatedly.

Best Answer
Agreed… I am tired of the short life of Fitbit products. I recruited so many people to start with Fitbit as well… few of them have been as loyal thru challenges. But my patience has run out and I am moving on to Apple Watch. Too bad as Fitbit was the industry standard at one time.

Get Outlook for iOS<>
Best Answer

Here is what's going to happen next: 1. You may get device to work for another short period - or it is dead, 2. you will waste time doing the same old stuff with "Customer Service", 3. then you will return and 3-4 weeks later you will get another. 4. You will go through 1-3 a few more times before warranty expires. 5. Customer service we offer a discount on another one!  

From my experience - you need to as fast as possible go through tests recos so you can get it sent back.  Item is not ready for sale - WAY TO BUGGY.  Get a new one - maybe it will work. I am probably getting Apple watch next.  Tired of excuses.

Best Answer

Mine just got blank screen and fast battery drain today and in the process of replacement. However, reading all the post here I am worried that my new charge 5 won't last long. Any tips to make it last longer? Should we avoid swimming or washing hands while wearing it? (I know it's supposed to be waterproof). I really like the features but I don't want the hassle of replacing it every once and a while... 

Best Answer