Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 5 info about its features

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This morning Fitbit app update has included the Charge 5 among the devices that can be set up.

Shipments should therefore start soon. While Fitbit has started to accept pre-orders since quite few times the manual is not yet available and there are still some details not clear.

Let's list them

- Is the gyroscope present? in other words will Charge 5 be able to track swim laps in real time like differently than the predecessor Charge 4? No

- Is the Weather app present like the predecessor Charge 4? No

- Is the Relaxing Guide app present like the predecessor Charge 4? No

- Is Spotify app present like the predecessor Charge 4? No

- More generally can I control music of any player? No

- Can stats in the display re-organized or hidden if not needed (for example Female Health icon)? No

- Does Sleep Data and Sleep score tracker display finally work (bug present on C3, C4, Inspire 2 since the origin)?

- Does Charge 5 use GPS to provide distance while walking/biking or is it still using the steps by stride algorithm?

Anything else?

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

I'd like to know which features are only accessible with the premium subscription.    Looked at what they have under the features and specs and nothing gives you that information.   

Best Answer

I'd like to know what "watch faces" will be available (probably similar to Luxe.)

Can you add custom watch faces (doubtful.)

How many Alarms can be set (probably the standard 8.)

Is there an interval timer, and how complex can you make them (just workout and rest times with interval, or more complex.)

Does it have the Sense or Luxe sensors or a combination (apparently the Sense heart rate sensor is not as accurate.)

What apps will it come with? Any new ones?

---------

Giampi71, about "gyroscope" for swim lap tracking: both the Charge 4 and 5 list "3-axis accelerometer" under their specs, so I would say yes to swim lap tracking.

Best Answer

I think some honesty about how long "COMING SOON" actually could be is warranted. Previous "coming soon" feature rollouts have been poorly handled, leaving some users behind for weeks if not a month or two, while others have access. 

What is the point of creating new functions in a brand new product, then not provide it at time of purchase?

Best Answer

@kingRidiculous an XYZ accelerometer is not a gyroscope. A gyroscope is needed for the Charge 5 to be able to detect and display lap counts in real time. 

@nihahi some of the past coming soon delays have been in getting approval from the government's. 

Others where delayed because of still being in beta. I wonder if these coming soons should not even be announced. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is the point then of marketing a new product with new features, if Fitbit isn't able to back up its claims of function?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue According to this help article:  https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2087.htm#How both the Charge 3 and 4 track swim laps.  Since the specs for the C4 and C5 both say "3-axis accelerometer", I assumed they would share the "Swim Laps" tracking functionality.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes @kingRidiculous they both will track swim laps. 

The Charge 4, with a Gyroscope, is able to track laps in real time and display the lap count on the wrist, during the swim. 

The Charge 3, without a gyroscope, will first have to sync it's data to Fitbit's cloud services where the lap count will be calculated. 

The point in guestion, will the Charge 5 be able to track laps in real time, as the Charge 4 does, or will the laps be calculated after the next sync, as the Charge 3, Sense, Versa, Versa 2, Versa 3, Ionic, Luxe, Inspire 2, and other fitbits do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see a Gyroscope listed on the Charge 4 specifications page, only the "3-axis accelerometer".  https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/products/trackers/charge4.

The Ionic does list a "3-axis gyroscope", so it would appear that both the C4 and C5 lack a "3-axis gyroscope" (since it is not specifically called-out in the specs.)  But the C4 is still able to track swim laps (and presumably the C5 as well), but maybe not as accurately as the Ionic or other devices with a "3-axis gyroscope".

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is what the C3/C4 had in the manual for sensors, since we don't have a manual for C5 yet it's hard to know.   But if the C5 has the same sensors, it should track the same things.   You would think that the manual would be something they work on at the same time as the device. 

Sensors and Components

Fitbit Charge 3 contains the following sensors and motors:

• 3-axis accelerometer, which tracks motion patterns
  • Altimeter, which tracks altitude changes
  • Optical heart-rate tracker
  • Vibration motor

Fitbit Charge 4 contains the following sensors and motors:
      3-axis accelerometer, which tracks motion patterns
     Altimeter, which tracks altitude changes
     Built-in GPS receiver, which tracks your location during a workout
    Optical heart-rate tracker
     Vibration motor

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue does ask a good question though "will the Charge 5 be able to track laps in real time, as the Charge 4 does,, or will the laps be calculated after the next sync", I think the C4 being able to "track laps in real time" is not sensor-dependent, but the presence of some kind of on-board processing/algorithm of the sensor data instead of waiting for some server-side (after sync) processing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@kingRidiculous Charge 4 doesn't seem to track laps on the watch while swimming. Otherwise, this thread would never be started:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Show-laps-and-other-data-during-swim-on-Charge-4...

Best Answer

Yes, @t.parker is right and I apologize for my error in the first post as I took for granted that what written in the Fitbit documentation regarding Charge 4 was correct (I tested with my C4 right now and it records only the duration so it is essentially a timer in real time, I'm not sure how @Rich_Laue can state the contrary)

I'm editing my original post for consistency.

Best Answer

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for sharing your interest in Charge 5. Your comments and feedback are appreciated, this helps us to continue improving. 

Note that for detailed information about our newest Fitbit tracker, you can always check the following websites: 

Introducing the Revolution in the Fitbit Charge Family: Charge 5 

Fitbit Charge 5: Redefining strength  

Fitbit Charge 5 

Take into consideration that the Product Manual and help articles will be available soon; sleep data and sleep score are included on the tracker. While the weather app and Spotify won't be available, this tracker will have other features that will help you to stay active, as well as live a healthier lifestyle.

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thanks s lot for your reply @SilviaFitbit , based on your reply i edited my initial post.

Unfortunately we read all the information Fitbit posted and watched all possible video looking for replies to our queries/doubts/curiosities and still have many doubts hence the idea of this discussion.

Best Answer

The lack of a Weather app is a BIG miss. The weather on a color screen would be great!  I hope the agenda app is available for the CHarge 5.

Best Answer

Thanks @SilviaFitbit, but this just keeps bring us back to the same two questions. 

1. What features are in the C5
  2. What comes with the tracker versus what is only available with premium.  

Without a manual is impossible to discern how the C5 is different from say the C4.    

So far, I've heard of at least 3 things that aren't on the C5 (tracking floors, weather app and Spotify).    And if you don't subscribe to premium, what features will not work.   Touting feature xyz, but not saying that without premium it won't work, is misleading.  

Maybe a feature by feature comparison to the C4 would be in order.     Everyone knows what the C4 can / can't do (there's an actual manual) and if the C5 is as Fitbit puts it "Meet our most advanced fitness & health tracker", taking features away, sounds like a step back.

Best Answer

@Giampi71 Glad to be of help. Keep an eye on the Fitbit Community and Fitbit Blog for more updates on the Charge 5. 

@kingRidiculous Thanks for your comment, I see the importance of having this app on your Fitbit tracker. 

@pkjohn1 Thank you for getting back. 

To check the specific features that Charge 5 has, check out this page and expand the "Features" tab, this will display more information about Health, Fitness, Smart, design & more. 

The Fitbit Blog describes that the Daily Readiness Score will be part of Premium. Also, I'd invite you to check this post where @LZeeW shared her experience with Premium features vs non Premium with previous Fitbit devices. For more updates, please keep an eye on the forums and Fitbit Blog. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@SilviaFitbit you already confirmed that the Charge 5 won't work with Spotify premium (which I don't use anyway) but could you or someone else @ Fitbit PLEASE finally confirm if the Charge 5 comes with any music controls at all for any other music (phone) apps, including any stock Android music players. As @Rich_Laue pointed out elsewhere, simply having play/pause and prev/next track controls would be fine...and I think it's really not a big ask in 2021! Thanks for listening.

Best Answer

@SilviaFitbit What never seems to be addressed is the question of the GPS feature. Either it's the same, or it's been improved. It's a simple question that makes a significant impact on many current Fitbit users who might be considering the Charge 5. 

Best Answer
0 Votes