Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display and battery issues with Charge 5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Suddenly many people are dealing with sudden loss of battery and black screen with no possible way to fix it. Could this have anything to do with the update? It seems not so coincidental it's all happening at the same time.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, I appreciate the reports that you've shared about the firmware update. 

Keep in mind that not everyone will receive the update at the same time, since this is always released progressively, but everyone will be able to see the firmware banner eventually. For any issues during the firmware update, please follow these steps

I've seen some of you have mentioned having trouble with the screen no longer responding or the battery draining too fast. Please try the steps here below for display issues: 

1. Complete the 3 pulse restart procedure using the charging cable. 
  2. Follow these steps in case you're having trouble to charge your device. 
  3. Please sync your device in the Fitbit app by tapping your profile picture > Charge 5 > Sync Now.
  4. If you  can't sync, tap on your profile picture > Charge 5 > Tap to see if a firmware banner appears. 
  5. If it's still unresponsive, please try changing the clock face as well and check if you're able to see anything on the display. 

There's also a different combination of steps that could be helpful with this problem; 

1. Hold on the button (or charging cable button) until you see the Fitbit Logo blinking (up to 15 seconds)
  2. When you see the screen blinking, release the button, wait 1-2 seconds and then hold the button again until you see the circle screen (up to 5 seconds).

For battery draining too fast, please follow these troubleshooting steps as well. If any of these issues persist, please get in touch with the Customer Support team as soon as possible, so they can provide you with the next steps. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429

I have had similar problems. After sleeping, I woke up with the screen on and the fitbit logo on. It would not respond to any touches and I was able to fix it using the charging cable and 3 button presses trick, so i charged it to 100%. Today I woke up and the screen was black and would not respond. I hooked it up to the charger and it booted up at 48%. I am still on firmware version 188.58, so maybe the issue is related to the new firmware update failing to install correctly.

Best Answer

Fitbit stopped working black screen and won’t synch to phone. Seems to be a major issue with the charge 5’s . How do I get rid of my Fitbit premium .switching to apple as they don’t have these ongoing issues. 

Best Answer

Another customer with battery issue with Charge 5. Suddenly began last week after 15 months working normally. No changes made on my end to cause this. And just 3 months after warranty expired. I prefer the form factor of Charge, but I guess this means migrate to Apple or Garmin. I really didn’t like Fitbit acquisition by Alphabet / Google, and this unacceptable battery issue I guess means I’m done with Fitbit after using their devices a decade, starting with a basic trackers, then Flex, Alta, and a couple generations of Charge. 

Best Answer

Battery drain has been an ongoing issue since late 2022. This updated firmware (which I don't have yet) is hopefully going to address and fix it.

Best Answer

I am having black screen suddenly and sooo frustrated!!!

Best Answer

My Charge 5 synced at 11:52am today but now - at 2:30pm - the screen is black and it is no longer connected to the app. My phone tells me the Charge 5 is fully charged but it is unable to connect to it. I can't turn it on and I can't get any response of any kind. I've tried the three-tap reset a number of times but there's no change. Is this related to the firmware update? Is there some other problem that will cause this blackout behavior? I see that others are having the same problem. What are we supposed to do now? Is anyone at Fitbit listening??

Best Answer

me too . My fitbit doesn't go on at all ...  i couldnt find the pink button for updating so I guess that isn't it .. unless someone in tech goofed . which wouldn't be the first time

Best Answer

Suddenly got black screen this afternoon.  3 click reset doesn't even reboot it.  App cannot connect to the phone.  10 month old device and now it doesn't work.

Best Answer

This happened yesterday to me too. Now my Fitbit won’t even hold a charge after being on the charger half the night. I woke up to 48%, went to plug it in and it was already at 2%. Fitbit techs, please help! Any solutions?

Best Answer

Yes - my battery suddenly drained out on Wednesday 6/28.  I attempted to remedy with support, but they decided it was unsolvable and offered a discount on a new device.  

Best Answer

Dude... the update has completely wrecked my watch. Won't track my heart rate I've restarted multiple time done every possible troubleshoot out there, for a few days the watch was completely un responsive until I figured out a hard reset. Turned it back on but nothing has worked the same besides the billing process. If you can avoid the update, avoid it. 

Best Answer

That's on this 194.61?

Best Answer

My screen went black and it’s not showing anything.  The watch has been updated and synced but the data is only showing in the app, not on the watch. I’ve tried all the options, from reset to reinstalling the app.

Any idea what else could I try???

Best Answer

My charge5 stopped working. Battery is at medium. Black screen. No lights flashing on back, nothing. 

Best Answer

Yes, this! It's so frustrating!

Best Answer

Same. App says battery is full and that it synced 1 minute ago (it didn't). Screen is black. I tried the reset procedure to no avail.

Best Answer

Mine last synced at 12:57 PST today. I had put it in water lock to go swimming. A few minutes later, it vibrated on my wrist and has had a black screen ever since. Can't get it to restart.

Best Answer

I'm having exact issues although app on phone seems to have updated a few minutes ago.  Put on water block to

swim. Got message battery was low but I had fully charged yesterday. Charger not working.

Best Answer

I had a chat with support just minutes ago and they walked me through a few things:

1) Pull down from "TODAY" in the app to force sync. (This didn't solve anything for me.)

2) Tap the Today symbol in the app, tap your picture, tap your device, tap Gallery, tap Clocks (at the top), choose a different clock face, tap Install. (This did nothing for me.)

I wish you better luck. Support said mine is dead-dead and they'd send me warranty info.

------------

Also the support rep asked if the green lights were flashing on the back of my Fitbit. (They're not.)

And he asked if it vibrates when I connect it to the charger. (It doesn't)

Best Answer