Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display and battery issues with Charge 5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Suddenly many people are dealing with sudden loss of battery and black screen with no possible way to fix it. Could this have anything to do with the update? It seems not so coincidental it's all happening at the same time.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429

@JeniferC wrote:

I tried all of these when the screen first went black - because this information was posted within community well before this issue. 
1. I can’t synch in the app because the app can’t “find” the device

2. I can’t change the clock face because the app can’t find the device

3. no firmware banner is appearing in app

Logic dictates that it’s highly unlikely a large number of Fitbit devices suddenly stop working unless there is a set of circumstances that applied to all. The most likely answer is that a firmware update was pushed out and it didn’t succeed in updating and impacted the devices.  
I’m sure you’re QA team is working to replicate the issue but it would be best if Fitbit provided daily updates to community regarding what the company is doing to solve these issues, the steps being taken, the status of the efforts and, if not successful, the process to return our devices for new ones - without cost to your consumer. 

Brava, Jenifer! Fitbit seems to think that ignoring this issue will make it go away.

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem. NOTHING IS WORKING and NOTHING SHORT of a full replacement is acceptable.

-----

How does one get in touch with a person in customer service. The link Davide sent takes you to more links that don’t address the problem. My Fitbit suddenly stopped working. It won’t swipe left/right or up/down and the battery suddenly drains.

Best Answer
My problem is I thought the watch died on its own and went out and bought a
new one. Only to find out later that Fitbit killed my watch with a software
update. And they don't seem to want to take responsibility for it. Had I
known this before I would of bought a different brand of watch
Best Answer

Never mind, I just figured it out. DIdn’t scroll far enough down

Best Answer

I have done all this and the screen still doesn't respond. It syncs to the app as I can see where it says synced a moment ago. And I was able to change the clock through the app, but the screen on fitbit doesn't turn on for me to see the face. It charged too, because before I connected it to charger, the app said it had 70%, and now it says it has full battery. So it is connecting the app and syncying. I just can't see the screen. And it was fine earlier today. I got done tracking my workout ((okay fine it was lawn mowing, but I still consider it workout)) and when done, I wanted to see how it went and that's when I see how the screen won't come on.  

Best Answer

I contacted Fitbit support multiple times on this. Their response has been to offer a 35% discount on a new device. It's almost unbelievable. Fitbit remotely killed my device and then wants me to pay for a new one. The device worked fine, but the response by the company to this serious failure is completely unacceptable.

Best Answer

I did the same. I’m returning it. Not even taking it out of the shipping box, just handing it back to Amazon. 

Best Answer

I have tried the reboot by holding the button for 15 seconds. Nothing. I haven’t called customer support yet, because I dread being put on hold for an endless period of time. If all they can offer is 35% off a new one, I’ll switch to a different product. 

FItbit, you should think about if you want a mass exit of customers or if you want to do the right thing and send replacements.

Best Answer

I'm still on the old one like you. And mine just today started to act up. It will sync, and it will charge as the app tells me so. Screen just won't respond. I did all the tricks it said to restart but still won't do anything. 

----

I haven't even started the update. Mine just started having black screen today. July 12th. I never got the notification of an update being available any time I signed on the app, and it still isn't showing it. I was out mowing the yard and tracking it ((i consider it a workout so I track it as a walk)). After I came in from finishing I wanted to end the tracking but the screen was black. i thought maybe it was dead, which it shouldn't be since I charged it two days ago. So I checked on app and it syncs up and says it has 70%. I plugged it in, and figured leave it be. It charged as now the app says it's full battery. Just the little lights on bottom that goes against skin and the screen does nothing. I did do the restarting steps and such, even changing the clock face. but still no response. 

-----

That happened to me today, July 12th! I was tracking me mowing the lawn ((as walking since they don't have option of a workout mowing the lawn)), but when I finished I go to stop the tracking and screen was black! It still syncs to the app though as before I plugged it in it said it had 70% battery, then I plugged it in and now app says it's full battery. Firmware is still the same as yours.  I did all the steps too to restart it. Even tried changing the clock face, which according to app it did, but screen still doesn't come on. 

Best Answer

I don't know if this is tied to the update or not; app is reporting 188.58 firmware version.  But add me to the list of < 1 day battery for my Charge 5 (very suddenly, I used to get 5-6 days), less than 18mths old so out of warranty, 35% discount offer on a Fitbit/Google watch, and now a dissatisfied customer.

Update July 13: it was possessed today, scrolling through settings on it's own, multiple times It ended up on the add a payment card menu, experienced a lot of black screen occasions when I wanted to check the time or a text came through, and <10hrs of battery today.

Update July 17: Basically non-functional, black screen of death, no change after multiple restart attempts (hard to tell since the display is black, it did vibrate with each button press though).  Sigh, guess they are forcing another customer to Garmin/other manufacturers.

Update July 19: officially bricked status, unresponsive screen when touched, no Fitbit logo, resetting attempts do nothing, and screen is ONLY black.

Best Answer

Hi David,

From reading the posts on the charge 5 forum, it is apparent that seems hundreds of users are having the same issue that I am: battery not holding a charge and a black screen, despite following the instructions for troubleshooting for these issues.  As now part of Google, what follow up will Fitbit provide/pushing through some type of patch/repair? Being offered $35 as a solution to purchase a new Fitbit when my current one is only a year old is not acceptable. Is there someone I can speak to in management? Thank you.

Best Answer

Happened to me too, a couple weeks ago. I just now left a review of the Charge 5 on Amazon reporting that Fitbit’s update has bricked dozens or more of these devices. 

Last week I bought a fitness tracker from a different company and unlike the Charge 5 it continuously displays the stats I want to see. 

Best Answer

Mine too, is anybody from fitbit responding to this problem, mine still in warranty

Best Answer

Same problem here. All of a sudden, my Charge 5 started losing battery really fast. I tried a number of things, like uninstalling SPO2, and reboots and nothing seems to work. Now 10 minutes after getting fully charged, it is down to 81%.

Best Answer

Bought a Garmin yesterday.  I've used Fitbit for nearly a decade and will never buy one again.  

Best Answer

Mine bricked with 2 weeks left in warranty. After a lot of hassle they replaced it with another that bricked 6 months later. This was my 5th and final fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So is there any news at all about any resolutions to this problem yet? Can no one from Fitbit give us any kind of update? Are they working on it? @DavideFitbit@LizzyFitbit 

Best Answer

Mine oddly started working again this morning. Previously tried the 3 push reset procedure multiple times to know avail only pulses in response and a blank screen no green light, no charge nor sync.

Tried again this morning with the 3 push reset and this time no pulses and still a blank screen.

3rd try I tried hovering the contacts of the charger over the connect barely touching and removing a couple times.Trying to mimic the reset manually. Thinking short bursts of power is what wakes up the battery.

May have worked? Suddenly watch turned on getting pretty warm in the process. As of now screen is on and watch appears to be charging.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm going to ring them now, it's ridiculous.
Kate
Best Answer
0 Votes

Scratch that of getting the watch working. Now the green light is constantly on. HR and steps aren't working and the watch is rapidly discharging.

Best Answer
0 Votes