Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display and battery issues with Charge 5

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Suddenly many people are dealing with sudden loss of battery and black screen with no possible way to fix it. Could this have anything to do with the update? It seems not so coincidental it's all happening at the same time.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
429 REPLIES 429

we were only inches away from the abyss, but this software update is really a giant step forward !

Best Answer

Has the battery problem been fixed?

Best Answer

@Umarharbi: I'm affraid nothing has been solved :nor the battery problem, nor the black screen, nor the brick effect ... Fitbit seems to believe there's no problem

and it looks like the update goes on spreading ...

i think their new mantra is "Plug and Pray"

Best Answer

I'm still on old firmware and have no problem, but I got out my old Amazfit to get it ready for when Fitbit bricks mine. 

Best Answer

My Charge 5 is dead too.  Black screen, neither reset sequence helps, totally bricked.  18 months old, was working fine in June.

Best Answer

My fitbit charge5 is not working anymore. Battery is dying immediately. Not really usable anymore. 

Best Answer

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one, I guess.  Although since Fitbit seems to be ignoring the problem, I'll be looking for a different brand.  I guess it's a good thing that Amazon Prime day is tomorrow because I'm not waiting to get a new Charge 5 with my measly 35% off coupon code, particularly since it's backordered until 7/21.  

Best Answer

Had you already integrated/moved to Google account before the update? I haven't yet moved my account to Google. I also have not (to my knowledge) received the update.

Best Answer

I assume we can avoid auto-updating our Fitbit if we have the iPhone app forget the device? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is anyone getting an answer? Support says they won't help because my watch doesn't have warranty anymore... but Fitbit is the one that broke the device with this upgrade... it almost feels like a scam

Best Answer

@TaranWanderer  yes the iPhone app doesn’t have an auto update option. This may be a good thing (I have not yet seen an update banner).

Best Answer

A further warning: if your Charge 5 gets bricked, do not disconnect/unpair it from your phone app.  I did that, because it seemed to be keeping my phone awake through bluetooth, and now the dead Charge 5 can't be connected to and probably can never be fixed.  If you leave the connection in place, then Fitbit can probably download a fix sometime in the future.

Best Answer

I've brought mine back by specifically not letting it connect to the app. After repeated resets, it did come back, but the common item in it re-bricking itself was syncing to the app. I went 16 hours or so yesterday (with the wrong time, because apparently it can't pull time or time zone/location from GPS) and it didn't hit a boot loop once nor did it drain the battery quickly. It's still on the old firmware. Today I'm testing letting it stay connected to my phone via bluetooth, but WITHOUT the device registered with the app. Been an hour or so like that with no issues. I also let it do a very quick sync to get the time set then had the app forget it and force-quit the app.

Personally, I think the app is trying to push the update and it's only partially getting it to the phone or something, or maybe just the device's boot loader or something is getting updated and the rest fails which leaves it in an inconsistent state that's resolved on restart...

Good to see news coverage though, maybe it will push them to do something.

I also was not aware of all the rumors that Google is killing the Fitbit brand, but that seems quite plausible.

Best Answer

@Jamie32182- Google Pixel is also Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I'm not sure why they think a discount will solve bricking a ton of Fitbits that just went out of warranty. My Charge 5 is dead. I bought it in November of 2021, so I'm in the "discount" territory. My kids also have Fitbits - and you can bet after this fail, I'll be voting with my wallet in another direction.

Best Answer

It’s not rumor. It’s a fact. They’ve announced their intentions and will no
longer support Fitbit devices in the next year+. --

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for the details provided, as well as the steps you've tried. I also appreciate the ones confirming the firmware version running on your trackers. I wanted to let you know that the issues experienced with the firmware version 188.58 have been reported to our team and they're currently looking into this. Once we receive more information, we'll update this thread.

For the ones updating to the new Charge 5 firmware version 194.61, please don't hesitate to share your feedback in this thread as this helps us to monitor the release of this version, and assist you with any concern.

By the way, this post will be marked as the Best Answer, not because this issue is resolved, but to help other members who might be visiting the forums for the first time.

Best Answer

Also, it was fun to have a customer support rep in chat today asking me to clean off my charging contacts because it's clearly that and not this issue that many Charge 5 users are experiencing and complaining about on the forums. Yeesh!

Best Answer

I am still on firmware 188.58 and a few days ago have suddenly been experiencing sudden battery drains in less than a day. I contacted support and the only troubleshooting they got me to do was restart my device but the issue continues. Now Fitbit has offered me 35% a new device which is ridiculous! I've been using this device for a little over a year (out of warranty of course) and Fitbit is telling me it's basically garbage.

Is this update supposed to address this issue?

Best Answer