Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HR users: Increased heart rate after eating?

A lot of times after I eat dinner I will have a heart rate around 100-105.  My average rate is 71 per my dashboard.  Usually between 75-90 during the day.  

Anyone else notice increased heart rate after eating?  Should I have any concerns about going over 100?  I hear that it should always be under 100 if you are not active.  

Best Answer
180 REPLIES 180

Some people report a higher heart rate after eating particularly carb heavy meals (or what they describe as going on a bit of a blow out) due to the extra sugar? Is it after everything you eat or certain foods in particular? 

Also 'safe/normal' heart rate is a really difficult thing to determine without consulting your GP/undergoing a lot of tests as what might be normal for you, isn't for someone else. (I should add that worrying about being slightly over 100bpm isn't necessary as being over 100bpm consistently is the concern, not small spikes relating to some kind of activity, in this case, eating...)

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed that right after mail my herart rate reises to 100-105....maybe especialy after eating carbs meal...but depends of the quantity it normalises after while.

I have no concerns because 4 monthas ago my "normal" heart rate was around 100, and then start workouts and calorie counts and then it normalises arount 80-85.

Best Answer

This is why I stopped using the Charge HR last year and went back to the Fitbit One. I noticed that sometimes after eating a hearty pastrami sandwich or something my heart rate would climb and sustain for a couple hours afterwards. Fitbit thought I was working out and told me I had a higher calorie budget. Wrong! Just the opposite.

Now, many months later, I would like to try to give it another chance. I learned that after riding my Harley I can negate all the inaccurate stairs climbed by entering a "Driving" excercise? Is there something similair for recording a pastrami sandwich to negate all the heart beats perhaps? Ha!

Best Answer

Your heart pumps blood to your stomach after eating, so it lowers your blood pressure but raises your heart rate.

Best Answer

My resting HR is in the low 60s.  The only time it increases is if I have pasta or sweets, and my HR will sit in the 80's for a couple of hrs.  My guilty pleasure is ice cream 😐

Best Answer

Mine will shoot up to 140-150 sometimes if I eat a carb/fat heavy meal after a few hours of no food. It feels awful during and I'm completely drained after. Resting heart rate is about 70 so it's a pretty drastic jump. So weird. 

Best Answer

Interesting that you should post this because the same thing happens to me and I always wondered about that.  I eat a relatively low-carb diet --not for weight loss but just because I want to lower sugar intake--so when I do eat pasta or anything high-carb, my heart starts racing.  It used to worry me and I even went to a cardiologist to ask about it but my heart is totally normal so I don't think about it anymore and it just quiets down eventually.

Best Answer

Mostly it's from your body ingesting what you have consumed putting pressure on the movement down that causes your heart rate and blood pressure to elevate slightly. It goes up for a while then it slowly goes back down. Whether it is a restaurant meal that has triple the amount of sodium your allowed to consume on a diet or say a boatload of martinis where the alcohol volume is more than the weak people can handle, which is why bartenders recommend glasses of water to flush down what is going to happen on your way out to a taxi.

Best Answer

That is your body at work.  And to the poster that spoke about the Charge v One, It is my opinion that your logic here is backwards.  It is recommended to eat/drink throughout the day so that your body is constantly fueled and working.  The more often you eat/drink the higher your calorie burn for the day is as your body needs to process the intake. 

Simply by drinking water once an hour will keep your body working and add as much as 150-300 to your calorie burn on the day. 

Best Answer

Thank you for this!!!!   Makes sense and you just solved a mystery!

Best Answer

Thank you for this!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This means you are hyperglycemic like me and have an acute sensitivity to sugars. It's best to eat them in moderation and try staying away from heavy carbs and sugars.  Eating more protien well help, as well and gluten free bread 

Best Answer

I read that heart rate goes up if you allergic to specific foods. Mine goes up everytime, even after green smothie. I do take large breaks between meals and I don't eat breakfast either. Is that allergy or hyperglycemia, or just body's normal response?

Best Answer

Eating a high fat meal is the mechanism that causes an increased heart rate after eating. Fat causes the red blood cells to clump together and it's more difficult for them to pass through the small blood vessels. It becomes impossible for them to pass through the tiny capillaries and this causes a signal to be sent to increase the heart rate. This effect can last for several hours after a high fat meal. You know, until it's time for some leftovers.

Best Answer

I didn't notice such problem, although it may have occurred in the past when my eating habits were different. Now I eat small portions, more often. Sometimes rich in carbs, sometimes proteins and sometimes fat. Basically, I try to keep my meals balanced in terms of nutrients and not overload my digestive system. I just got an apple as a snack before lunch, my HR is shown as 55bpm. Of course, an apple isn't an overload of carbs. The human body must put some work into processing food that one eats. When digesting we still burn calories as we need the energy to run all those processes. We are an organic factory and if there is a resource waiting to be processed, then the already stored fuel will be used in order to achieve that. If you drop more food in your stomach, the more work has to be done etc. Hence, the HR goes up as the digestive system starts its work. I'm curious if this dependency is related to the amount of food eaten in one go. As I said, I don't experience such drastic changes in my HR after lunch or dinner but my portions are not too big and "crafted" for me. For sure I wouldn't be removing HR monitor in such case as it isn't false reading. The body puts more effort when digesting, hence also starts burning more calories too. ( at least this is what I managed to find out, but I'm not an expert 🙂 ).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good grief! Where did this come from? Did you make it up?

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is missing from all the replies is your age and general health. I'm 64 and in good health with resting pulse in the high 60s. When I row, I aim for about 130. I just ate a salmon filet and 6 asparagus spears with 3 4-oz glasses of wine and my HR reads 101. It's about 54 when I'm asleep. Seems normal to me and my internist.

Best Answer

This is perfectly normal the state is known as "Postprandial tachycardia" meaning an increase in heart rate after a meal. Without going into the complexities the basic reason for this is blood is diverted to areas required for digestion primarily your stomach thia causes a temporary slight reduction in blood pressure which your brain detects from sensors and to keep a balance it signals to your heart rate to temporarily increase slightly.

Best Answer