Able to edit exercises distance on iOS device

I'm new to Fitbit but have used various other fitness apps over the years. I've just done my first treadmill run with my new charge 2 and the total distance was quite a way off what the treadmill said and what I believe I ran . Please could you add a feature to edit the run distance and other details on the app and website post run?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

80 Comments
Pfiga
Runner

It would be helpful to be able to manually lower the miles walked or run each day based on actual mileage rather than based on the number of steps.  When I go for a run (on my treadmill), I know the exact mileage, but the fitbit's mileage estimate can be way off if I run faster or slower than my usual pace.  I understand that the mileage is determined by my stride length, which I calculated when running at an "average" pace, but this can really vary depending on whether I'm doing sprints or running at a slower pace on an incline.  I have noticed that if I input a mileage that's higher than what fitbit calculated, it revises the total upwards, but if the miles I actually ran are lower, it does not decrease the mileage.  This can result in a much higher mileage reported than what I actually did on a given day.

MariaKFrazer
Recovery Runner

Hey Fitbit, I would like to make a suggestion for an improvement to the Dashboard. Currently we are able to edit some field in Fitbit automatically logged workouts. I would like to be able to edit the distance. I and I have noticed other users have commented that they would like to do this too. Even though my stride distance if fairly accurate I find that the great the distance the larger the discrepancies. Many of my workouts are over a preset per-measured distance, so I know that the distance is correct. Food for thought.

pcraenme
Base Runner

When you log a running activity via a sync, the distance of an activity is calculated based on your steps and running stride length. However, depending on the speed you are running, your running stride length will vary. So on fast runs, Fitbit calculates a too short distance and on slow runs a too long distance. So I would like an option to edit the distance afterwards.

Moderator Edit: Labels

@MariaKFrazer wrote:

Hey Fitbit, I would like to make a suggestion for an improvement to the Dashboard. Currently we are able to edit some field in Fitbit automatically logged workouts. I would like to be able to edit the distance. I and I have noticed other users have commented that they would like to do this too. Even though my stride distance if fairly accurate I find that the great the distance the larger the discrepancies. Many of my workouts are over a preset per-measured distance, so I know that the distance is correct. Food for thought.

I would like the ability to edit an actiivty as well, even after I have categorized it.

For example, I went for a walk and my fitbit Charge HR is off by 20% on the distance.  I will like to correct that. But I guess since I have already categorized my workout to "walk", I am not able to edit the distance. Quite irritating !

Can we add the ability to edit the Activity even after we have categorized it. OR edit it multiple time.

Another reason is that I may want to recategorize a previous activity since I may create new custom activities.  I had to delete and manually add !

I would like the ability to edit an activity as well, even after I have categorized it.

For example, I went for a walk and my fitbit Charge HR is off by 20% on the distance.  I will like to correct that. But I guess since I have already categorized my workout to "walk", I am not able to edit the distance. Quite irritating !

Can we add the ability to edit the Activity even after we have categorized it. OR edit it multiple time.

Another reason is that I may want to recategorize a previous activity since I may create new custom activities.  I had to delete and manually add !

hrebejk
First Steps

The fact that the distance is not editable in the app (and on the web) is very unfortunate.

1) Sometimes people run/bike on tacks wth well known distances then it is desirable to enter the ifficeial distance rather than the value guessed from number of staps and the step length

2) Distance often can serve as identification of the user's usual tracks. E.g my 8km track. 

3) Most imprtantly when runing/biking/rowing indoor. One would like to enter the distance read on the equipment.

PCGlobal
First Steps

Left my Garmin Vivoactive for the Fitbit Surge. Love the Surge however miss the ability to edit the activities. Please consider adding this feature to complete the experience and capabilities of this great device.

degsyh
Jogger

Hi,

Just upgraded from a Flex to a Charge HR. Very annoying that you can't ammend the distance that has been run. I've just done 5k on treadmil (3.1miles) and its been calculated as 2.6 miles Man Sad

dudakc
First Steps

It would be nice to have the ability to manually adjust mileage for exercise logged using GPS. I've had instances where the final distance is quite a bit different from the actual distance (based on previous data: driving routes in the car, Google maps, Garmin GPS, previous Surge GPS). This would allow me to more accurately track my exercise, as well as pace.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That's pretty cool fellows, it will be a great addition when you sync activities. I will definitely relay the posts in this feature request to our product development team for review. Thanks for sharing! I hope to see it soon! 

nickmax1
Jogger

I have been waiting for this ability for some time, is there any update on it?

I run very regularly on the treadmill and find that if i take it easy or really go for it the distance calculated by the Charge HR is either under or over stated. This makes sense of course as taking it easy my stride lengths are much smaller than when i go for it when my stride is much longer. Being 6 foot 5 makes the difference in stride lengths that much greater too.

Why cant the distance be edited afterwards then?

Another solution (albeit a quick fix) would be to have more than just one running stride length, you could have a running stride (slow), running stride (medium) and running srtide (fast) for example and categorise your runs accordingly? 

Megdalsanto
First Steps
Whenever I run I have to use the Nike+ running app alongside my Fitbit because my Fitbit is not accurate with how long my runs are. For a 2 mile run it usually says I only ran 1.7 miles. Fitbit should allow users to edit the distance when the activity is classified as running, please!!
SarJeansy
Jogger

I would really love to be able to edit the run distance!!  I recently got the new fitbit Charge 2, and finding it underwhealming. My run distances have been off by 1.5 and 2.5km.  That makes a big difference in pace and calories burned!  I have tried using the connected GPS but it just hasn't worked properly.

Being able to edit run distance after the fact and get a better interpretation of my run would be awesome- particularly in the case where something goes wrong with GPS connections.

I bought the fitbit Charge 2 as it was the only one in it's class that fit my little wrists (I did have my heart set on the Garmin vivosmart HR+ as that has GPS included, but alas it was too big).

keickmann
Jogger

I also have issues with this. I recently started doing walk/run intervals on the treadmill for 30 minutes, and Fitbit's distance calculation is way off. According to the treadmill, I usually go around 2.1 miles, but it will say I only went ~1.2 miles. This is very frustrating because it says my mile pace is a lot slower than it actually is. 

Cundal
First Steps
Hello, when the tracker records a treadmill workout, it would be great to be able to edit that workout to adjust certain details for accuracy - for example, distance, speed, vertical climb. I know that the workout can be logged manually, however it would be much simpler to just edit the existing workout which already has other correct data.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

To fix t ghost is it will require you to change your stride setting to.match what .your is while on the treadmill.

The equation is

Your correct stride = your current stride setting *(treadmill distance/distwnce tracker reported)

How was the step count?

The Fitbit does not measure treadmill miles. I calculates them, steps times stride equals distance.

Now if you are holding on to any supports, it is not only harmful to the body.but also not all steps may be counted because tyre arms are not moving naturally.

aries1980
Jogger

This affects me on outdoor as well. The GPS is recorded well, but my Fitbit Charge 2 usually measures 25% less than the distance on Google Maps, also often inconsistent with previous historic data recorded with the same device.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

the fitbit charge 2 is terrible at tracking distance.  
the gps log on my phone is very accurate and it is very accurate when imported into google earth.  Can you not please do something about the distance calculation?

adamhartshorn
First Steps

Please please Add the abllty to Edit Recorded Activity distance for stationary machines.

The stationary machines.such as 

stationary bike

stationary rower

stationary tredmill

stationary steper

All give you a read out of the distance coverd on the macahine it would be nice to 

be able to enter this when in the  Activity tab under log on the dashboard.

Reather haveing to make a secound Activity log at the same time to Log just the distance.

I see lot of uses think this would be a great idear with thousands of Community posts about adding the Feature. come on fit bit make us Happy give us what we whant please.

I am sure it is simple enf to allow use to edit the distance to the data or at lest make a way to link the two activertys as one and the same. This has been properly added to the New Feature Suggestion as I've seen asked to do in post after post. so  please please consider it.

djm2djm
Jogger

Editing the distance for exercises is a critical feature. The charge 2 is great and with this feature it will be even better. Syncing with other apps like Map My Run would be nice but not really necessary if you can edit the distances.

RunTrails
Base Runner

How is this not upvoted more?  Seriously this is the worst right now.  I log a treadmill run and it's soo far off on distance, totally throws off the #'s and makes it impossible to track actual distance run during the week\month which would be really useful.

capu57
Jogger

I 100% agree.  I honestly just got my fitbit Blaze last night charged it up and did my first treadmill exercise this morning and it says I did 0.37 miles when I did 2.0 miles.  So it is not even close.  I belive the main issue is I mostly hold the handles while I walk on my treadmill so it is not getting an accurate step count which only logged 399 steps.  Never the less for treadmill exercises you should be allowed to edit the distance.

giugiubee
Base Runner

YES! I've been posting this request in various locations and directly to Fitbit.

if Fitbit knows its limitations, then it should allow users to make adjustments (inc step counts, miles, etc) to individual exercises. I don't think that's too much to ask. The elliptical machine provides a mileage estimate. The Fitbit calculation is completely off. Let us access and adjust pieces of data for each individual exercise. If Fitbit doesn't know how to calculate the correct values (and that's fine), please let users make adjustments using sources (like the machine one is using) that provide much more accurate and robust data. Otherwise, what is the point. Everyone has different goals...calories vs steps vs mileage. Please let us adjust the values we know that Fitbit is unable to calculate correctly. Otherwise, the watch and app are essentially useless.

Proud2bBlack
Recovery Runner

Yes, I agree.  I think it is important for a an individual to increase their performance levels they will require data to analyze.  For individuals whom stationary row, ski, spinners ... etc. requires access to data that reflects the TIME/ DISTANCE/ CALORIC BURN/ & HR, all in one chart. 

Fitbit recognizes the Stationary Row in their Manual Entry on the Log Page of the Dashboard.  We need this data in one place.

Proud2bBlack
Recovery Runner

Not letting Fitbit off the hook ...

I am currently not a Concept 2 rower, I own/ row on a NordicTrack rower.  However all Concept 2's has the ability to transmit workout data for competition.  They need to be solicited to send their data to Fitbit.  This would be a great service to all Concept 2 rowers and provide a new niche for Fitbit Marketing.  But I represent all Stationary Rowers, even those like myself who do not own or have access to a Concept 2 rower.

The important thing is ... We need all the data ... TIME/ DISTANCE/ CALORIC BURN/ & HR.  All in one place/ chart.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.