Integrate with iOS Health

Hi there,

I'm really excited about Apple's announcement of the Health App in iOS 8 to be release this fall.  I'm looking forward to seeing a product announcement by Fitbit for a successor to the recalled Fitbit Force, and I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits intigration with Apple's new Health App to be released alongside iOS 8 this fall.  

This is a huge oportunity to make your devices even smarter and more integrated - Please support these APIs!  Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

4,966 Comments
heylookatlane
First Steps

This is all so confusing. If FitBit intends to work on this, even if it will take them a while to figure it out, why not just say so? The current approach is so insulting. "We are continuing to evaluate it" is written in the same block of text as "We have no intention of integrating with HealthKit." Which of these statements is true? Does this company have a plan?

Simply put, HealthKit is a great repository for visualizing some data that FitBit collects (steps, sleep, etc.) and a great deal of data that FitBit doesn't collect. The value of integration is obvious to anyone not trained in corporate PR. For the data to be visualized and analyzed usefully, they all need to be in one place. The status quo is that some of it is in the FitBit app and some of it is in Strava (why doesn't FitBit track cycling activity?) and some of it is in the numerous apps that come with devices that can measure glucose levels and all sorts of other health in formation.

Simply put - you're asking me to wear a bracelet all day and all night. That's a lot to ask. Make it useful to me, and I'll be more convinced to keep it on. This really isn't complicated. It just seems like FitBit has created pandemonium where none is warranted simply because it won't speak directly and honestly to its customer base. Just tell us your plan, with as much specificity as you currently can.

BlazeEBlake
Recovery Runner

@zapleahy How about something, anything about what those exciting new projects may be? It's really hard to hold out for something if you have no idea what it is or when it's coming, if ever. I mean, aside from the recall and promises of new innovations, nothing exciting has really happened for almost a year (when the Force came out October 2013).

bluefunk
Recovery Runner
After pages of feedback from Fitbit users, this is the statement we get? I'm 100% done. Flex, One and Aria are being sold (if anyone still wants to buy that crap) or thrashed tomorrow. My acquaintances, friends and family who also use Fitbit are with me and will too switch to devices from companies who value their customers.
gohoos
Jogger

You remember that company called Fitbit who used to sell activity trackers?

Nah, me either.

@zapleahy you and Fitbit act as if you had no idea Apple or HealthKit even existed.  You act as if we are fools, who believe the schtick that "well, we aren't sure HealthKit is good enough for us."  

And, most offensively of all, you act as if this is YOUR data.  

You want a good description of how this should work?  What the experience should entail?  How about this:

I want my steps and distance in the Health app. I want my sleep data in the Health app.  I want my weight, body fat, BMI, etc. in the Health app.  

Why?  Because I'm the customer.

Because I want to have all of my data in one place.  Because I'd like other apps to have access to my data, under my direction.  Because I may have other products which collect that data and I want a central repository for all of it.  Because when my doctor comes online with Healthkit later this year I might want to share some of my data.

(We know, we know. You're evaluating it. Whatever.  The real reason is likely you are evaluating how you can sell our data if the data is going elsewhere.  Ask yourself this - what will you sell when you have no customers?)

Today I picked up a Withings scale instead of the Aria.  Withings has committed to Healthkit, and they get my cash.  My Fitbit Ultra is dying, and it will not be replaced by a Fitbit.  My steady stream of data - since near launch - is ending.

In this one short-sighted, outrageous move you have instantly evaporated the goodwill of many of your users.  

I'd say get with this program, but I have little faith that a company who misjudged its customers so greatly.  I would hope to see a retraction and a statement supporting HealthKit in the next day or two, but pride will kill you instead.

HermanMG
Jogger

@BlazeEBlake I was mainly refering to weight, exercise, etc when it comes to myfitnesspal but I get what you are saying, I know sleep won't syc to Myfitnesspal.

Havenocents
Base Runner

What a customer relations disaster!  Is there not anyone at the company that has any business sense?  If I owned the company I would say we plan on integrating with healthkit by the end of the year, and then just get it done.

@joestencowwife  precisely, this would be a lot less of a mess and a much easier issue to walk away from if none of us liked our devices/app as much as we do. We're angry cos we love you, Fitbit!

joeh22
Recovery Runner

Healthkit integration is a must.  I am looking for ways to expand the health data that I track to combine data from other sources.  Steps, Body Wieght, and the other items that are trackable thru the FitBit Ecosystem are only a component of the personal health datapoints that I would like to track and consolidate into a single place.  I have invested in the Flex and Aria and like both products but if Healthkit is not included soon this holiday season a new wearable and scale that is Healthkit compatible will be at the top of my wishlist.   

Havenocents
Base Runner

Yay, the healthkit withings update just came through.  Lots of luck to all of you.  I'm totally gone now.

StalkingWolfSC
Recovery Runner

Reviewed By Moderator@  wrote:

Fitbit remains committed to supporting all of our users, whether they sync their Fitbit products with iOS, Android or Windows Phone devices, Macs or PCs. While HealthKit works only on the iOS platform, we also plan to maintain direct integrations with our partners so that Android, Windows Phone and PC and Mac users in addition to our iOS users can benefit from our partnerships.

Yes, because clearly its so hard to integrate this API into the app. And silly me, I thought you cared about what the community asked for, which is why this forum was here.  By flat out saying you wont enable this feature, on the LARGEST request on your site, you are essentially telling everyone else's requests that theirs is pointless and no matter how big of a voice you get for your idea, it doesn't matter to fitbit.  Even though you ironically appear to try to care.

And don't throw the Mac crap at me. As a Mac fan and iMac user for years, I bet my job that apple will integrate healthkit into the mac w/ the next version of OSx. And in this day and age, its about mobile apps and not desktop apps.  Especially on fitness.  So, really..., you want to throw that in?  Why dont you just admit you are afraid of how it will canabolize your bottom line in the premium fitbit software services.  But on that note, how much will your product be canablized by the lack of healthkit support?  Time will tell.  You are no longer on my shopping list and I will make it my goal to make sure when I'm asked for my recomendation, to intentially instruct people NOT to get a fitbit.

Your company dominates around 67% of fitness sales. I understand where your asinine logic comes from lately.  You are not the same company I fell in love with.  Your company has won vaarious awards, which I supported. However your current iOS ranking is 2 1/2 stars (overall 1 star rankings) when it use to be 4 w/ most stars a 5. This doesn't scare you or do you no longer care about your iOS users?  Should we identify ourself in your community as an iOS user so we know you dont intend to care about us and to be prepared to bend over and take it? You just don't have the dignitary to admit it! This is your largest request. What's the point of your forum feed on requests, if you are refusing to do this to the BIGGEST user request on your site? Why should I care what my other requests could be, when you ignore this one? 

Keep this one thing in mind...

This forum covers ALL users (Android, Windows, iOS and this iOS REQUEST trumps ALL OTHER REQUESTS.  Does that tell you guys anything?!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Have to agree with all the others. This is an incredibly shortsighted move by Fitbit. Since you sell services to analyze health data, you must see Healthkit as some sort of free competition. Well, here's the deal: we all paid real money for your devices. How much I weigh (yes, I bought one of the Aria scales) is MY health information. The fact that you feel you should keep it silo'd means you really don't recognize that. So I'm done giving you cash.

It's been reported in the news recently that federal agencies are taking a wait-and-see approach on personal electronic devices that monitor health information. Let's just hope that Fitbit is one of the first companies audited in any future regulatory regime, since you clearly don't respect that personal health information belongs to the user, not the corporation.

revsheila
Recovery Runner

I love my Fitbit One.  My current one is the second fitbit device I've owned in the past few years.  I have recommended it to many other people.  I too am very disappointed with Fitbit's refusal to make our data available to Healthkit.  In addition to what so many other users have already said, I would like to request the decision makers at Fitbit to rethink their position.  Ten years ago if you wanted a top-of-the-line typesetting application QuarkXpress was the go to solution despite how expensive it was.  It was beautiful and intuitive and a pleasure to use (kind of like Fitbit).  Then Apple released their OSX and QuarkXPress didn't make their software compatible.  Many of us waited and waited and waited for Quark to come to their senses.  Eventually many of us switched to Adobe's InDesign, also expensive and not nearly as fun or as intuitive.  Much, much later (years later) QuarkXPress was finally upgraded for the Mac OSX operating system.  Unfortunately by the time they did, many of us had switched which required a major investment in Adobe InDesign so as much as we had liked Quark, it just didn't make sense to scrap our current investment.   Too little too late!

It's better to not lose the goodwill and loyalty of your customers, than it is to get them back once they've moved on.  There are tons of 'has-been's' and 'once were's.'  Stay on top by being responsive to your customers requests. 

erodriguez87
Jogger

@zapleahy 

Thank you for the response. In my time using fitbit I have seen the company be great with integrating with other services (ifttt,runkeeper,myfitnesspal etc..). I won't use healthkit but I expect similar issues with Google Fit and Android L. All I would like from fitbit is...

Integration with Healthkit/Google Fit. Fitbit is my favorite dashboard but i don't collect all my health data there. I run with runkeeper and bike with another app... I log my food with myfitnesspal. My hope would be to have google fit tie alot of those together. Fitbit does this to some extent but my point of view is that having two services look at the data would give me better feedback on improving my health. That being said, i would like these types of fields going over...

• Steps 
  • Weight
  • Nutrition
  • Runs/Activities
  • Heart Rate if it is included in a new tracker

Communication

This is a little off topic but I feel like a lot of the backlash the community has unleashed over the last few days could be prevented. Fitbit has a lot of canned corporate responses that really turn people away. Could you consider being more open about new products/dates/features? I mean the force was recalled so long ago and us, your loyal customers know nothing more than a new one is in testing. How are supposed to make decisions with so little information? It feels like general disregard for your clients.

sageweb
First Steps

Very disappointed.  I assume this decision will the the one that will make fitbit into a cassette tape.  I hope they re-think this...but I will actively start looking for work-arounds. 

vaha
Jogger

Someone just needs to create a simple app that uses the Fitbit API calls, pulls all the data and intergrates it into the HealthKit since these guys won't be publishing anything. Heck anyone want to help me out with this? It shouldn't take too long since these guys offer every single API call https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/Fitbit+Resource+Access+API

I don't think it would be too hard for you guys to code this into your app, but since you don't want to I guess the loyal iOS users will do anything possible to make this work until you fix your idiotic and poorly managed teams.

In my opinion this would take your engineers about a week to code and test out to make sure all food, weight, floors, and other activity data is written.

Hell, look at Google too. They are releasing their health oriented app with Android L called Google Fit Platform. Are you going to develop stuff for them? I mean iOS and Android users are the reason why your company is successful in the first place.

Heck my new iPhone 6 has the same darn sensor as your Fitbit One/Force and measures floors so your product can be obsolete if you don't give your exisiting users what they want.

Erinliz
Jogger

You're telling us that you won't even allow Health to pull data from the Fitbit app? Huge mistake. Huge.  I work for Apple, sell your product all the time, will probably push them in another direction (UP, Shine, Withings, Nike) now that I know that your company isn't planning on supporting a feature that your cusomers are interested.  

Seriously allow Health to read only (not write) problem solved.  Everyone else can still use the app they have, but now iOS users the ability to have Health use the data.  

Also, I use lots of fitness apps...

Fitbit for steps.

Food from MyFitnessPal because it has a larger data base.

Runs from MapMyFitness because I like to see on GPS my route.

Indoor workouts from Digifit because I use my heartrate monitor.

I track my weight with my Withings Scale.

I use MapMyRide for my Biking.

By fitbit not integrating its just making it more complicated for me to actually get a picture of my day.  Definitely will be pushing my customers in another direction.

Mbj
Jogger

Hmmmm, this seems as shortsighted as Blackberry's reaction to the introduction of the iPhone. As well as being able to look at all of my data in one place, I was looking forward to seeing how Fitbit dealt with data coming in from other apps, like Strava.

I for one am going to be on the lookout for replacements for my Fitbit Flex and Aria straight away.

darthkarl
First Steps

I've been a loyal fitbit user since early 2010 and I've always enjoyed the ease that my data has been available to my various iPhones over that time. With this announcement my time with fitbit is sadly over.  

Moving on.

sbrionez
First Steps

I'm shocked this is even a question.  Why would you NOT allow this data to work with the Healthkit?  Wasn't the Fitbit Force Fiasco painful enough and now you want to pull this stunt?  I know I'm just a consumer, but this could be painful for you guys.  Now is the time to make this happen, not in 6 months.  The Jawbone guys may have to start ramping up their production!  I've seen these things for under $60 this week!

Fitbit, we love you and your product.  Many of us have been using these daily for some time (year +).  Please make your product a little more relivant.  Remember, these products are sold to geeks more than they are sold to people who want to change their fitness routine!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
I am hoping for this integration rather than simply more bells and whistles. If Fitbit doesn't do it We'll be migrating to the device that does. Are you a health app or not?
odditie
Walker

I think its funny that somehow they think these statements make their decision better. They are using a negociation ploy (answer a question with a question) to try to confuse their unhappy customers.

After over 1,000 comments (I assume that is now the highest of any thread in this sections history) they still are dead set on holding us hostage. Their comments are insulting our intelegency by trying to make it seem like they are open to the idea in the future, while that's not true. They are only trying to keep our hope alive to try to get away with this heavy handed decision that has been widely regarded as damaging to their brand.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives, so we’re always looking for ways that our users can use their data to support their fitness goals. For the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled our users to make the most of their Fitbit products and data. Because of this commitment to connect with other applications, HealthKit is really interesting to us. Since its announcement, we’ve been evaluating integration with HealthKit as more of its features and benefits are revealed. 

Fitbit remains committed to supporting all of our users, whether they sync their Fitbit products with iOS, Android or Windows Phone devices, Macs or PCs. While HealthKit works only on the iOS platform, we also plan to maintain direct integrations with our partners so that Android, Windows Phone and PC and Mac users in addition to our iOS users can benefit from our partnerships.

Please share your thoughts with us. We want to understand how you envision an ideal HealthKit integration to work and what benefits you’re hoping for. We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team.

10/8: We do not currently have plans to integrate with HealthKit.

It is an interesting new platform and we will watch as it matures, looking for opportunities to improve the Fitbit experience. At the moment, we’re working on other exciting projects that we think will be valuable to users. The question we want you to keep in mind when providing feedback is: What do you imagine a HealthKit integration would entail and what do you expect to get out of it?

Your voices are being heard. We're actively reviewing your responses and providing feedback to our product development team.

zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

The status has been updated to Under Consideration. Thanks again for all your feedback.

PetRock
Stepping Up

Under Consideration, so we can ignore that too and hopefully stop some of the outrage. 

fargo211
First Steps

I've used a fitbit flex since 2012.  The customer service is great.  I don't have a bad thing to say about the company.  If Fitbit decides not to integrate with Healthkit, I might have to look at other devices that will.  

What's stopping you from integrating with HealthKit? Do you want to lose your customer base?  

I want to be able to track my steps, sleep patterns, etc.  Yes, my iphone can track my steps, but I don't have my phone on me all of the time.  I do have my flex though.  Please integrate with Healthkit.

Glad to see the status changed to Under consideration.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.