Add custom notes to Sleep Log or Rate Sleep

In order to effectively use the sleep log to improve sleep quality, I think it might be helpful to be able to annotate each log entry with comments about things that might affect sleep quality (eg alcohol consumption, use of sleeping tablet, late caffeine intake, late exercise, meditation/ relaxation, consumption of unusual foods etc). Then, on review of several weeks/ months of sleep logs, patterns may become evident.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

295 Comments
Yuriy
Base Runner

Can you just have a look at Sleep Cycle Alarm app and make the same stat graphs!

hiramJim
Premium User
Recovery Runner

I use a CPAP machine for my sleep Apnea.    Like many others I don't use it EVERY night (like I should!)

I'd like to be able to "flag" or "annotate" the sleep record to say whether I used the machine or not.   The more I can prove to myself that the machine really helps the more I'll use it and my Doc would be happier with me 🙂

hiramJim
Premium User
Recovery Runner

PS - this would also allow to figure the percentage I use the machine over a month.  My Doc asks that at every appointement - but I don't log  that anywhere so I don't have an answer.   My Fitbit log would be the ideal and easy choice as  I use my Fitbit log every day for food, activity (which he also asks about... and I *have* that data which he loves - thanks!)

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there! Definitely it sounds like a great suggestion as a great addition that will help to improve and have a self control of the sleep quality.

Please keep on voting to get the developers attention. Thanks for posting and sharing this idea!

jazzinthed
Jogger

I love this idea and would find it incredibly helpful for the very same reason ... How much does that afternoon Coke REALLY affect my sleep? 🙂 Fitbit, please consider adding this feature!

BobBa
First Steps

I'm a veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan and got a FITBIT to help with recovery. My Tours over seas were 6 to 11 months long and due to stress and fear I returned with real sleep issues. I'm now a disabled vet for apnea as well as sleep adjustment. While I like the tracking of of sleep is ok I'd like to ask you to enhance it with features like the ability to make comments (did I use a CPAP? Or did I have a bad dream) looking at the root causes and symptoms. I hope you could partner with National Center for PTSD or Wounded Warrior Project and tailor features to address these types of wellness challenges. Thanks. 

Akraaijeveld
Recovery Runner

Great idea! Second and most important: thank you for your service!

great respect towards the world's veterans.

hope you feel better soon ❤

RunningAmy
Base Runner

Yes-- it would be handy to track a few meta tags or comments relating to daily exercise or sleep habits. 

This could also include what another user suggested as a menstruation tracker, or to track allergies, illness or other symptoms that affect sleep and exercise. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would also be nice to know what time it was when I woke in the night, rather than the bar graph that just shows I did sometime during the night.

Phillf1
First Steps

Would be great if you could add a short commentary to each sleep day, to record anything which might have affected your night. Eg: were you looking at phone, thinking about work, took a sleeping tablet, had a hot drink before sleep etc. Thanks!

waboz
Jogger

Second this on the Android Sleep app there were some prevented options (did you exercise, have caffeine that day, alcohol that day) and maybe a few others. It would nice to be able to see how those things affect sleep at a glance and add extra notes to yourself about that day to see how it affects sleep.

SWETTS
Jogger

I'd like to be able to use Fitbit to improve my sleep.

I currently use my Charge to log nutrition and use data to track steps, sleep etc but it'd be great if we could log when we last accessed social media, laptop, whether watched a movie, used any sleep aid, meditated etc.

It would also be great if we could rate how we were feeling before going to sleep (i.e., level of anxiety) and an assessment of quality of sleep. 

Moderator edit: Labels

Gene292
Jogger

It would really be great if I could add notes and my own comments to my daily sleep records for later reference. For example, if I have a poor night's sleep I'd like to be able to add my own comments about it for later reference. 

Brigidgray
Jogger

I agree, please add this capability! It would make the sleep log a much more valuable feature.

Cj06eagle
Jogger

I think it would be great to have just a real quick and easy way to rate your sleep quality. I like to track my sleep patterns against the "benchmarks" that are provided, but I want to know what works best for me and my body. Do I feel better after I spent 40% in light sleep and 20 % in deep sleep? Or do I feel better when I spend 40% in REM, etc. It'd like to be able to just check a box or something in the morning to rate how well rested I feel so I could compare over time.

Scott-GTT
First Steps

Ability to enter the notes with voice recognition would make it tremendously easier for those of us that do not text much.

XT400
First Steps

Would like to add text to a sleep log.  At the moment, if you select 'Edit', the stat for that night is lost and you can't add context to that night's sleep. I think this is useful because when reviewing those nights when sleep was good or bad, the context could explain why.  i.e, had a lot to drink; slept in different bed; dog wanted a pee; girlfriend wanted lots of attention; returned from night-shift, etc etc.

jcoc
Keeping Pace

I would like to flag days in a certain way, as I would use this information to track weight, sleep patterns etc.

For example, Period day, Alcohol, Fast.

I find for example that I get less deep sleep if I have had alcohol. However, I need to look in two different places to find this information, and then track together. It would be good if I could select a flag and then see that information on the various graphs/reports in situ.

I realise that if I use the food tracker, I could find the information of when I didn't eat, or did drink, but it's almost too granular, and it's not available in context. 

Thanks

Scott-GTT
First Steps

It seems that there are two categories of notes that people would like to add; verbose or check list (RunningAmy called them meta tags.) I really like the idea of customizable meta tags where I could create a default list that would always be in the log and "click" to set whether it occurred. Maybe multiple clicks for how many glasses of wine:).

Deathhand
First Steps

I would love the ability to add notes to my individual sleep nights. I would like to record my activities before bed and how they affect my sleep cycles.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

Salisburyr83
First Steps

Charge 2 - Please make an option to add notes to sleep tracker days

htanderson72
First Steps

I would especially love the option to add sleep-supportive behaviors. Probably start as a pre-populated list, and have a tagging option and an open-text section if the list is insufficient. Also, this would be an absolute data goldmine for sleep researchers!

Common sleep-supportive behaviors:

Aerobic exercise during the day but not within 3 hours prior to sleep (can be automatically tracked)

Meditation [known to reduce sleep latency, does not affect repeated or early waking]

Reduced exposure to light in the hour preceding sleep

Caffeine and alcohol intake throughout day (could be integrated with food logging)

Consistent sleep schedule

These could be used to generate correlation reports, indicating how much your sleep changes (quality and quantity) when you follow through on these behaviors.

Further, an option to report how rested you feel on waking. This would be easy with a Likert scale and should be prior to viewing your sleep log (so your response is not influenced by the sleep log). This can help people estimate their sleep needs.

KatsyKline
Jogger

I have a sleep disorder. I track when I take my sleep meds against the sleep stages recorded in the sleep log. If I could include my notes with the log, instead of separate from it, I would have all the information in one place. This addition would also make it easier for me to share with my physician.

Nikki_Pa
First Steps

I'd like a simply way to track how the quality of my sleep felt, so I can determine which time/sleep cycle patterns are working best for me.  Ex:. A simple rating system of 1-3, high/med/low, or even emoticons, to denote how my sleep left me feeling on a particular morning.  A per day option, with the ability to pull logs for a particular rating to identify sleep patterns that are working best, or not working well.  If would also be great to link out to sleep notes from the report for reference to details that made an impact.  Sample of user data to track: I woke before my alarm feeling rested and ready for the day (rate = high), or I woke before my alarm restless and dragging (rate = low), or slept thru my alarm but still woke dragging (rate = low), or woke on time and went to sleep, had a really hard time waking, but felt rested once I did (rate = medium).

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.