Customize Reminder to Move Time of Frequency

it would be nice to have a Hourly Activity tile on the dashboard that would readily give the steps taken in the hour and how many more you have to go... and including that information in the Hourly Activity section of the app.

would also be nice to have the ability to edit the amount of steps.  Have the minimum as 250 but give the user the ability to increade that if needed.

and the ability to change the time that you get the reminder to move, sometimes 10 mins to the top of the hour doesn't give enough time to work in the remainder of the steps needed.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels/Title for Clarity

82 Comments
Rainbird
Recovery Runner

Why restrict the times to a block?  We could get the steps for nine hour during the day betweem 8am and 7pm but not meet our goal due to a break when commuting or work doesn't permit us to get the steps.  Yesterday I spent hours walking very slowly with an infirm person from medical appointments to hospital to pathology etc and it didn't register most of my steps so I couldn't reach my goal without racing off leaving them stranded. So I got 7 out of 10 hours when I consider 7 to be good. Other days I have a long drive to visit another infirm person so I'm either driving or visiting in a nursing home.  So Sunday I got 9 out of 10 hours as I was driving for over an hour.  I like to have goals acknowledged as it drives me to move more.

Rainbird
Recovery Runner

So we should be able to set our goal to, say, 7 active hours at any time of the day or night.  This would allow us to be active in the morning and afternoon with a break in the middle, or let shift workers be active for odd hours that change over time.

LittleWestie
First Steps
I love the idea of a tile showing x/250... Would it also be possible as one of the Alta screens on the device itself!
JennySusan
Jogger
The new feature reminding us that we should move every hour is a good idea but we need to be able to set a silent alarm to remind us, say 10 minutes before the hour ends, that we have been sedentary and need to move to reach our hourly steps.
ez-e
First Steps

Alta currently only has an alert for 10min before the hour if you haven't completed 250 steps. While that is great, I would like to be able to add an alert 10min before the half hour as well. Could also allow customization of the steps, allowing us to increase it to 500 or decrease to 100 during work hours when walking isn't an option. 

Sue-Sue
Recovery Runner

Glad to see I'm not the only one who wants to see actual numbers by hour!  The graph is pretty and all, but it's pretty useless if you want to see how many steps you took in a certain time period, like say from 7-8 pm.  I would love to see an hourly breakdown of steps for each day (actual numbers, not in any sort of graph), along with a running total for the day.  For example, something like this:

Hourly Steps       Total Steps

7-8 am                200                  200

8-9 am                150                  350

9-10 am              250                  600

Along with this, it would be nice to have the ability to enter a timespan, and get the total steps taken during that timespan.  So, using the example above, if I entered 7-9 am for my timespan, I would get 350 steps. And if I entered 8-10 am, I would get 400 steps.

I participate in fitness challenges, where I need to log actual steps and other fitness activities, and sometimes I need to make adjustments to subtract out steps that were counted during a circuit training workout so I don't "double count".  So, having these enhanced features would be very helpful. 

Also, I think something like this would be much more readable than the current graph - people would be able to see their actual numbers for the day at a glance, without having to mouse-hover over a bunch of tiny bars.  Heck, I'd be happy if there was a setting to switch the graph view to a "raw numbers" view that simply listed the numbers I get when I mouse-hover over each bar.

TheRebec
First Steps

I would love to be able to set the Reminder to Move to go off every 30 minutes, which is what is recommended by health professionals. This could be a setting you can customize in the same part of the app where you turn RTM on and off. It could still default to an hour, but having the option of doubling the frequency would be wonderful.

Ideasguy
Jogger
There should be an option that lets you set an alert for your Fitbit to buzz every x minutes (30 of the hour) and remind you to get up and move if you have not taken x steps (should be able to program how many steps you expect to take in that hour).
For example if I am sitting at my desk starting at 9am and only take 300 steps from 9-9:30 then at 9:30 I should get a reminder (Fitbit should buzz) which will motivate me to get up and move so I can reach my goal of 1000 steps an hour.
elfdiehl
Stepping Up

What I really want is an alert when I've been sitting still for X minutes, like the jawbone up devices.  I like the fitbit hourly step goals, but focusing on the top of the hour means I could easily go almost 2 hours without moving around, which is not good (I have a common medical condition that makes me prone to blood clots).  Being able to adjust the frequency to 30 min would at least help make sure I walk a bit every hour, which will meet my needs although it's not my ideal solution.

alex-w
Base Runner

Idle alert is one of the most important features in my Blaze.

Unfortunately there is flaw in the system that counts 250 steps.  For example:  if I do 250 steps at 10:55 am and the continue another 250 steps at 11:05, I will not get another reminder until 12:40,  This means I will be idle for longer than 45 minutes.

The idle alert should trigger when the sensor detects no significant movement within 45 minutes, irrespectively of how many steps I record.  In other words, it should not be based solely on steps but also take into account idle minutes.

There is plenty of medical evidence to suggest that sitting down for more than 45 minutes (some say 30 minutes) is extremely harmful and contributes greatly to heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.

The Blaze should alert wearers that they have not moved for 45 minutes and then optionally count the 250 steps to satisfy sufficient movement.

The options could be

1.  Alert if 250 steps are not taken within the hour (the current option)

2.  Alert if no significant movement has occurred within 45 minutes

3.  Alert if no significant movement has occurred within 45 minutes with count down to 250 steps

NicANic
Stepping Up

When I am at work I am unable to move until closer to the 1/2 hour so reminders to move would work better if it reminded me at 20 minutes after the hour. 

duddyangel
Jogger

Yes I noticed that sometimes I end up not moving from my desk for more than one hour and the Blaze did not alert me.  I thought there was something wrong with the Blaze.  Now I realise why.  That is one glitch that should be fixed.

sbflinders
Jogger

Definitely a feature that should be there already.

cwilliams01
Jogger

Knowing if I have been sitting at my PC for longer than 45 minutes so I can get up and move  is more important than forcing me to take 250 steps.  For example, I like to stand up and do calf or squats when I am in the office as I cannot go and walk around the office every 45 minutes. 

InfoPro513
First Steps

Having an Idle Alert every 30 minutes was my favorite part of the Jawbone UP! Now that I've switched to FitBit, that option is sorely missed. One hour is too long.

misssayrah
Stepping Up

I love the hourly step reminders! Being able to customize the timing of the reminders and the type of reminder would really push this feature over the moon in terms of usefulness. 

Ex:

- I would like to get a reminder 5 minutes before the end of the hours if I haven't met my step goal for that hour. I prefer to get up at 9:55 for example and walk 10 minutes to get my steps for both the 9 AM block and the 10 AM block.

- I would like a long vibration pattern reminder (like the silent alarms), rather than a single buzz for my hourly step reminders. If I'm deeply concentrating on a task, I may not register a single, short vibration reminder to move for the hour.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but the ability to customize would be really helpful.

Another related & much wanted enhancement for step reminders: Customizable hourly step goal

Kimpy
First Steps

Yes please!

Wardlake
First Steps

Add the option to set the time of the "nudge" to move.  Currently it is set to10 minutes and I'd like to see the option for 30, 20, or 10 minutes before the hour. Maybe have 2 notices; for example 20 minutes before the hour and again at the default 10 minutes if hourly goal hasn't been met.  Provides  more flexibility and increases the opportunity to meet your hourly goal. 

katfield13
First Steps

That would be great! I have the Charge 2, and I would also love to see an option to customize which Reminder to Move message pops up. Although I like the "Take me for a walk" ones (they're cute), they don't tell me how far I've gone this hour or how many steps I need to take. My reaction when I get the notification saying "150 steps to go!" is "okay, I can do that!" But when I get "Time for a stroll" I don't know where I stand or how many laps of my office I'm going to need to make. I often don't even bother standing up from my desk unless I have the concrete goal of "x number of steps left".

DenisCGN
Recovery Runner

Hello,

I like an earlier alert to finish 250 steps an Hour. Maybe 30 minutes. Sometime there is no time to take a break at work.

30 min would be nice.

thanks,

denis

grafromtheshire
First Steps

Could you allow the user to choose when the alarm to move goes off? It is currently 10 mins before the end of the hour, which isn't always convenient. If the user could select from say 20 mins down to 5 mins in 5 min intervals from the dashboard it would provide needed flexibility.

Goosse1962
Tempo Runner

I am reluctant to vote for this one. Currently I get notified to move when I am in a meeting, laying down for a nap, and other times that I don't plan to move. This feature looks like it might make this worse. I currently have a chime on my phone on the hour and half hour to remind me to move and drink. I have three time frames setup for my most common activity time frames. It is quick and easy to activate/deactivate at need. Blaze takes much longer to change the hours for the notifications to notify to move.

daisysmom
Base Runner

I would definitely like to be able to customize the reminders to move (or GOYA, as I call them).  During the day I have hour-long appointments that run on the half hour, so I'm not able to do anything at 10 to the hour.  Also, I'd like to set different schedules for different days, e.g., work days vs off days.  So how about it?

hobbsjr
Stepping Up

Currently the movement notification is set for 10 minutes before the hour. It would be ideal to be able to customize this for any user defined minute within the hour.

CRAZY4JAGS
Jogger

I would like to see improvements to the move reminder function. Idle time should begin actual time (after 30 minutes being sedentary), not just on the hour and continue to nag until moving clears the idle time. The reminder vibration is almost nonexistent so it needs to be stronger. I had this on a Garmin tracker and loved this feature.

Thank you! 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.