Export Full Sleep Stages

The new sleep stages are a great addition.  When will be able to export the added details (REM, Light, deep sleep minutes?).

Thanks.

Moderator edit: labels.

30 Comments
ketocoder
First Steps

Would REALLY like to see this, please make this happen 😘

To clarify, I'd love to have sleep stage data (minutes in deep sleep, light and R.E.M) within the XLS export. 

Nebulus
Recovery Runner

definitely missing that.

EdWagner
First Steps

I think even better than a summary would be the detailed, minute by minute data.  Then we could calculate our own summaries, islands and duration by type of sleep, etc.

Art.login
Jogger

It seems silly to support export some of the sleep data ... we need the rem and light data also for the data to be useful. Please export it.

EdWagner
First Steps

I thought these forums were a way of suggesting features and interacting with the developers.  It's been 26 days since I posted my request, but I shouldn't feel bad because the original post in this topic was made 105 days ago and still hasn't been addressed by Fit Bit.  This isn't the only post about exporting detailed sleep data, so it's pretty obvious that customers want it made available.  Rather than keeping silent like Microsoft does about feature requests, how about posting progress for something that's a really simple request?  You could also say "No" and leave it at that.

As someone who has problems with sleep, I'd like to do an analysis of the data and look for trends and repeating patterns, but that requires more than nightly totals.  I'm willing to share the database work with anyone.

If this community help forum isn't for receiving help, should we instead be trading approaches for accessing the data on the device or scraping the sleep page and iterating through the detailed pages to access our own data?

Nebulus
Recovery Runner

Completely agree with that; only workaround is trying to find a third-party App that makes use of FitBit API, as it is possible to get the detailed data that way, but personally I don't know any yet :-o, and FitBit doesn't seem willing to do that directly, for whatever reason 😕

RedDodgerAZ
Base Runner

I have been using IFTTT to export my data and having the addition of sleep stages would be great.

Joe_SixApps
Jogger

Would be very interesting data. Offers opportunities for lots of interesting statistical analysis.

EdWagner
First Steps

We're now at 187 days since the original request.  There has been some progress because the sleep data export now includes the number of minutes in each sleep stage.  This is a huge improvement, so thank you to whomever made the change.  This will allow rudimentary analysis of day over day totals, but not look for trends in sleep cycles.

If anyone who wants to pursue the full data knows how to pull the detailed sleep data (the data that's used to make the chart in the app) for a date range from the site and export it as text (csv, tsv, fixed-width, etc) then please post it.  Another possible source is a file generated and used by the app, but I haven't found anything on that either.

If someone can post how to get the data, I'll do the database work and post it as well.  By the time we're done, maybe we'll figure out how to obtain and analyze our own data.

Joe_SixApps
Jogger
Hi,

Thanks. I'm fine with export data of the number of minutes in each sleep stage.

Regards,

Rolf
(in Amsterdam)
dgoverde
First Steps

I too am looking for the minute-by minute sleep stage data.  I bought the ionic after reading that the raw data was accessible.  If I had known that only summary data is available, I wouldn't have purchased the watch.

Kissa
Jogger

I agree! I'm fighting right now to download my sleep data since 2013. This is soooo ridiculous that we can't just export by year or TYPE the date in.

RedDodgerAZ
Base Runner

What's on the web site and what I download from IFTTT don's appear to be the same statistics.

Sleep log on Website:

TIME ASLEEP: 5 hrs 26 mins

25x Awake 1 hrs 1 mins

REM 28 mins 
Light:4 hrs 12 mins 
Deep: 46 mins

Stats via IFTTT:
January 31, 2018 at 11:02PM​
FellAsleepAtTotalTotal (sec)TimeToSleep (min)TimeToSleep (sec)TimeAwakeTimeAwakeSecondsAwakeCountRestlessCountTimeToLeaveBedTimeToLeaveBedSecondsAwokeAt
January 31, 2018 at 11:02PM 6h 9m 22140 0m 0 18m 1080 0m 0February 1, 2018 at 05:29AM
ErikSalt
First Steps

Love this idea

My problem is often not getting enough deep sleep and I can't really analyze my sleep data without this

Also please make sure to include this in your IFTTT applet

RedDodgerAZ
Base Runner

What I download from Fitbit via the IFTTT applet (Track your Fitbit sleep logs in a Google spreadsheet) tracks only the following:

• {{FellAsleepAt}} ||| {{TotalTimeSlept}} ||| {{TotalTimeSleptInSeconds}} ||| {{TimeToFallAsleep}} ||| {{TimeToFallAsleepSeconds}} ||| {{TimeAwake}} ||| {{TimeAwakeSeconds}} ||| {{AwakeCount}} ||| {{RestlessCount}} ||| {{TimeToLeaveBed}} ||| {{TimeToLeaveBedSeconds}} ||| {{AwokeAt}}

I have seen any new applet to download the stats for what you see on the Fitbit Sleep Log Stages Summary web page

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Keen to hear what others think?

RedDodgerAZ
Base Runner

Of course!

dwent
Base Runner

I agree with this. Sleep stages have been around for over a year now and, although the sleep stages data can finally be exported manually from the website, the IFTTT routine is still stuck using the old system. It's very difficult to see what my sleep efficiency is or how my percentage of deep sleep is varying with time (on a day to day basis) without this feature.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would like to see the possibility of exporting sleep data with the color coded schedules. Seeing the data in numbers is not always helpful, especially if trying to share the data with a doctor. The excel export doesn't share enough of the info.

SFaltafb
Base Runner

I see responses by Fitbit on many of the community forums. I am really surprised there have been none on this thread which has continued for so long and which is about such an important and clear need.

AusAK
Recovery Runner

Hi,

I would like to be able to easily see and aggregate exact times I was awake and at different stages when sleeping. I want to see if I wake at the same times during the night on average over time and if at different stages again at similar times. I saw in the app that when you click in the chart it does show you the times so being able to export this would be great. At the moment the export is only start/end times and amount of time in each stage but not each time. Would also be good if can export more than one month of data at a time.

I think below suggestion was trying to get at the same thing but looks as if this was moved to existing feature. As far as I can tell, this isn't an existing feature.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Indicate-exact-restless-awake-times-during-sleep...

Thanks

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @AusAK! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

EdWagner
First Steps
My original thread on sleep is several years old. It hasn't been responded
to and never addressed. Eventually, the export was improved to include the
number of minutes in each stage. It was better than the previous export,
but not what I asked for.

The export was then moved to "old export" and still only allows exporting
only 1 month at a time, probably due to inefficient table and/or query
design or an underpowered database server. I've developed SQL procedures to
import fit bit's sleep export, but even the export file isn't a standard
Windows text file, so it requires some work.

Unfortunately, this is what I've come to expect from fit bit. Everything's
done indirectly, questions are ignored, updates are made that don't address
issues and "new features" may look nice, but have less functionality than
what they replaced. When they say "your data belongs to you," they have it
and may CALL it ours, but they won't let us have it. They won't even let us
access data directly from our own devices that we bought and paid for.

I will not but another fit bit device after they disable their older
models. For a tech company, they don't listen to their customers and, while
the sleep detection tech itself is good, the app and site are poor and the
so-called "support" is a joke. I've given up on them.
Godric
First Steps

Would reallllyyyy love this.

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released. Sleep stages have been  in the full archive data export since last year. This data is included in the user-site-export/sleep-*.json files in the archive.  It’s the “Export your Account Archive” feature on https://www.fitbit.com/settings/data/export — so, you go there and click “Request Data”.

@North48, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit.

We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.