Add a "Find my phone" app in the Fitbit App Gallery

We all misplace our phones from time to time. Since there is Bluetooth connection, it should be simple to reverse the notification and ring your phone. So long as the phone is within Bluetooth range, this should be a feature on the new Versa/Ionic. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

583 Comments
MakMak
10K Racer

Hi, @HarryFabel! Great idea! I suggest you post this in the Feature Suggestions forum so others can vote on it.

FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MakMak @HarryFabel, good to see you both in the Forums! 🙂

I was taking a look and it seems that there is an existing suggestion for locating a misplaced phone using your Fitbit watch but unfortunately, it seems that there are no plans on releasing a feature like this at the moment. You can see the suggestion here.

If you have any other suggestion, feel free to share it with us and anything else, we're here to help!

Christina42
First Steps

This morning before work i lost my phone somewhere in the house. I thought it woukd be super convinient to have an app on my versa, which i had worn to bed and not lost, that could send a notification to my phone and send a noise or a vibration. Mayne someday...

kris88822
First Steps

Please add a feature to find my phone.  Thank you.

bri_cheese
Jogger

+1, this is the key feature I am missing from my Samsung Gear S2.

theminders
Runner

Hello,

I would like to suggest an app that we could use to find my phone . I think it would be a great app!

Find my phone 🙂

Jbrown0210
Jogger

Since the Versa now has the ability to have apps, it would be nice to get an app that could ping your connected phone to help locate it. 

MadMark42
Jogger

Many other bluetooth-enabled watches have a function where you can press a button, and it causes your phone to ring, even if it's on silent. This is very useful when you set your all-black phone down on an all-black surface it doesn't normally go on, and you can't find it.

It seems like all the infrastructure is in place to do this on the Versa/Ionic platform. Fitbit has officially said they have no plans to create this feature, but their reasoning seems to be that phones have this function built in. I think they think we're talking about a GPS locator in case your phone gets stolen. 

I am hoping that an app developer would be interested in making this happen. I would happily pay for this function, especially on those days when I'm running late, and my phone is missing. As it is now, I have to keep my old Gear S2 on standby for such occasions. 

mcrmama
Hill Runner

I was thinking this yesterday when one of my kids had put my phone down, how it would much easier to ta-  my Fitbit rather than have to find anither device to do this for me.

SurinaMarie
First Steps

Many competing watches can do this already, as well as the Google Home speakers. Using my Home mini, I can say, "I can't find my phone" and it will quickly make it ring until I find it and turn on the screen. As so many other watches can already do this, we should be able to do this with our Versa/Ionic. 

I might even suggest the opposite as well. We should have an app that makes our Fitbit vibrate so we can find it. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I really Loved to See a find my phone function für Android handys

Packles
Jogger

I definitely thought the Fitbit devices with smart watch capabilities had a "find my phone" feature that could ring your phone from the watch. Was very disappointed when I just discovered my Versa doesn't have this. Please develop this feature! It saves my fiance constantly when he can ring his phone from his Samsung fitness tracker. This is one of his most used features. Let's get on board, Fitbit!

Seriously I am tired of waiting. There are some things that fitbit team needs to do themselves and stop waiting. Why the heck did you guys purchase pebble and some other third party developers if your not going to make the obvious apps that make having this watch useful to begin with. Come on man!

bodine7311
First Steps

umm love my versa but my samsung gear fit 2 had the find my phone feature (and i could also use my phone to find the watch).  this watch came out years ago.  the versa, one of the best new smartwatches, lacks this feature?  at the very least a 3rd party app to download should be available that does this.  it should be very simple since they are connected via bluetooth.  I upgraded from the fit 2 but am pretty disappointed I no longer have this feature - I used it often.  Please add this soon - it's amazing to see so many people request this since 2015 and you guys haven't stepped up yet.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Vallie
First Steps

I just bought the versa after having two Samsung gearfit smart watches. I loved the find my phone option. I liked the looks of the versa and I was told by the salesman at Bestbuy the feature existed on the versa. Then I found out he was mistaken. Please Fitbit engineers, design the feature. $25 devices on Amazon have the find phone feature. Thank you.

Kinmod
Jogger

I have an Apple watch ( One of the most expensive )and an Amazfit BIP ( One of the cheapest), they both have this feature although the Apple Watch does a lot more consistent job of “finding the phone with a ring” even if it is on silent but no surprise there.  I switch to fit bit versa today ( after ditching it since 2014 because fitbit devices break so easily) and just realize that the feature is still not implemented. I think there are two things  fit bit will never do or they would have done it long time ago are

1. Alert when disconnect or Find the phone (with a ring)

2. Sync to any health platforms beside itself

my bad I assumed they manage to fix this because I also have a Pebble which also have it and fitbit just bought Pebble (versa looks just like it). 

What it did better than 4 years ago, sleep tracking and other excercise related features. Its a great fitness band but an average smartwatch which I think is what fitbit is aiming for anyways.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

they should add this update somewhere thats why this was only reviewed by moderator @LanuzaFitbit i expect this to be released on a brand new fitbit watch if fitbit knows what there doing. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Kinmodthere are many companies. along with at least one hospital and insurance that sync up with fitbit. Fitbit has not stopped any health platforms from using the Fitbit api to sync your data. Fitbit has provided all the needed tools all they have to do is use them .

I'm sure that it is possible for a third party app to do this, imI'not aware of any third party writing such an app. 

Xunderworldx
Jogger

Definitely can’t wait for this to happen! No one wants to have to login to Apple or android websites to find a phone lost in a couch or behind their bed!

Genmary
Jogger

Totally agree, I used to have this with my fossil hybrid watch, and it was so handy, I used it all the time. It should be pretty simple to implement, please do it! 

HarryFabel
Recovery Runner

It is not a difficult thing to program into all Fitbit trackers. Of course the will of the Fitbit designers and developers has to be there too. And while you are at it. A Google Fit integration would be great too. Why keep all the data to yourself. Share it to the world, universal studies and others helping humanity to stay healthy and fit. A benefit to us all. Or are you planning to sell this data Fitbit?

Amy4wellbeing
First Steps

I have an old Sony smart watch at the moment and wanted to buy a Fitbit but there is a major function missing for me. I want to be able to select something on my watch that makes my phone make a noise. That way if I'm not sure where it is in my handbag or if I have left it in another room or covered by one of many cushions I can find it without turning the house upside down and spending ages searching. I would also like to be able to sign up to an alert so that when this function becomes available I get to hear about it. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@HarryFabel as for Google fit .Your more than welcome to add your vote.. 

Be aware that fitbits policy is to not force itself into other sites, but gives them access to your account through fitbits API. 

Mns6163
Recovery Runner

Yes, we need that option. I mean, it is 2018. All smartwatches pretty much have that option, except for Fitbit. That is the only thing that turns me away from Fitbit. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.