FitBit support for Android Wear devices

Please add support for Android Wear devices to the Android Fitbit app like you did for the iPhone 5S and HTC One M8. 🙂 The current Android Wear devices (LG G Watch & Samsung Gear Live) all include step counters.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

228 Comments
PhitnessGuy
First Steps
I'm wondering when we will here about the plans that fitbit has with future Android endeavors such as their smart watches and their Android Fit program. Can you give us any idea if and when we will hear of any future plans?
mcan
First Steps

Yes, please add this!

hellphish
First Steps

I would love to see Android Wear devices supported. I feel a little silly wearing TWO activity trackers at the moment.

ben18
First Steps

Please do!

Juvenall
First Steps

After the fiasco that was the Fitbit Force (poor engineering around the clasp, which helped me lose it, which lead me to the great customer service offering me a free replacement, which never arrived because it was recalled while I was waiting for shipping, which wasn't communicated to me for more than a month), I can't say I'm excited about buying more hardware from Fitbit again. Which is a real shame because I do love Fitbit as a data service. 

What I am excited about, however, is the Android Wear platform and what this means for the future of both wearables and movement towards the quantified self. Since it appears, at least loosely, that the new hardware being shipping with this platform contains nearly all of the same sensors as the Force, I currently have no reason to want a second tracking device attached to me. 

Please help me return to Fitbit, which I've not used since Feburary 2014, by providing a system or method by which I can automatically bring in the data from an Android Wear device. I don't imagine it being much longer before someone else comes up with a way to grab, parse, and display this information, so rushing to be the first would be advantageous.

mcwttrs
First Steps

I love fitbit hardware. I loved the one, I loved the force, but both were replaced by full blown smart watches. I would be very interested in fitbit hardware running Android Wear, or any Android Wear device feeding data into fitbit. 

I still use my Aria scale and would love to integrate that data with my Google Fit data.  

I hate to say it, but fitbit was once a frontrunner in this space, but the fitbit brand fails to innovate and make cool things on top of the current hardware, it'll fall flat. 

There is money to be had in this space. If it's not hardware, people would pay a lot of good money for an analytics app based around the data collected by other hardware. 

I love the brand. Please keep it alive. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I just re-upped my $50 premium service a month or so ago, and I just bought a G Watch.  I'm unsure of what to do with my Fitbit Flex at this point.

Most of my friends still use the Fitbit products and we have a pretty healthy competition going on stats.  I do like the data from the premium service. 

However, it's silly to wear two devices like this simultaneously, and the Flex loses because if I'm going to wear something on my wrist the least it could do is tell me the time.  This was why I liked the Force so much before I had to send it back. 

A step counter itself was something special in 2012 but not anymore, considering it's showing up in new phones and smartwatches.  I would gladly continue paying Fitbit for the premium service if I could use it with an Android Wear device. 

MightyMike314
First Steps
+1 Fitbit aapp supporting Aria scale and Android wear sensors would be awesome
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@digitaldownfall wrote:
Please add support for Android Wear devices to the Android Fitbit app like you did for the iPhone 5S and HTC One M8. 🙂 The current Android Wear devices (LG G Watch & Samsung Gear Live) all include step counters.

These devices are not manufactured by Fitbit and therefore Fitbit is not responsable for adding them. 

The manufacturer of the devices will have to go to the developers page, which is found below in the Developer APIs. all the info they need will be found there

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue, Fitbit did not manufacture the HTC One M8, nor did they manufacture the Apple iPhone 5s.  However, they have taken advantage of the hardware those device manfuacturers have offered. The Fitbit app, when installed on these devices, basically "emulates" a tracker.

The public APIs that Fitbit provide only allow the ability to log activity records, like you'd find in the Activities tab. It does not provide the ability to just generally log step counts in 5 minute windows without also specifying an activity start/end time, like your tracker will do over the course of a day and synced using the private APIs that Fitbit uses.  

Using the public Fitbit API to attempt to produce the same results would result in an activity record generated for every 5 minute window, or 288 activity records a day. And, since every explicitly recorded activity record has to have an activity type (e.g. walking, running) attached to it, it's hard to discern what the user was actually doing at the time that the data was collected.

Polluting your activity record screen with data that could have the wrong activity type is not an optimal solution.  This is something that will have to come from Fitbit, because they're the only ones who can report steps over the course of the day without also attaching it to an activity log.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please add support. I bought a LG G Watch and I have a Fitbit Force to wear it at the same time uncomfortable.

bellibit
First Steps

please add support to android wear. this is a great opportunity to become the best tracking software in the world. if you delay this integration, there will be other activity trackers which will capture your market.

i would love to see a fitbit app for android wear which can sync with my account.

please get this soon, before i leave fitbit.

yetisnack
First Steps
As much as I understand the desire to have the fitbit software integrate with android wear I would prefer to have it the other way around. I would love to be able to see my steps from my fitbit one on my LG g watch. The accuracy of the game watch is terrible compared to my fitbit one. Please update the fitbit software with a way to quickly see my fitbit data without having to pull out my phone.
DouglasHaugen
First Steps

Yes! I'd hate to have to wear both my AndroidWear and my Fitbit.

sptjr1
First Steps

Please add support for Android Wear devices to the Android Fitbit app.  Also, will Fitbit be creating and Android where version of the Flex, or Force?

Tomaz
Stepping Up
It would be great to have live steps and floors from my One on my wrist. I'm planning to buy moto 360 when it finally will be available. It is interesting though if connection fitbit <> Android wear device would be possible without a phone.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please Add

NickMoline
First Steps
Please add full integration with Google Fit to allow 2 way syncing of tracking data
JB119
Stepping Up

I'd like to seeing full Android Wear integration. Not likely to purchase a fitbit and Android Wear but love the application. Haven't used it since the Force recall though.  

TopherMori
Jogger

I've been wearing both my android wear and my fitibit for the last few weeks but that is not likley to continue.  Fitbit definately has better step tracking and analysis however android wear is useful for everything else.  So the fitbit will lose out for wrist space eventially.  Hopefully they can integrate thair app and tracking data with the wear. 

djl_ford313
First Steps

Please add support for Android Wear. Thank you. 

bumfluffy
First Steps

I also would like Android Wear support to use my watch instead of a band

Jawbone have announced they will be supporting Android Wear but to be honest I prefer FitBit

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/08/jawbone-up-android-wear-healthkit-windows-phone/

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 for integrating Fitbit into Android Wear!

kaizer121
First Steps

I'm obviously late to the thread here, but I would love to see fitbit make this standard. I use a One as of now so my new Moto 360 wasn't ever going to be able to fully replace it (the lack of an altimeter and its placement on my wrist make it less ideal as a tracker than the One) however as Android wear gets more advanced I'd expect the fitness tracking capabilities will increase. Plus, the option to leave my One at home for a day if for whatever reason i felt compelled to would be appreciated

cz6y48
Sprinter

I just wanted to echo my desire for this feature as well in the proper thread.

I've had my Samsung Gear Live now since a few days after the public launch and I wear it every day just like I used to wear my flex.  I tried wearing them both for awhile but it just wasn't comfortable.

I knew there was an issue with my activity data from the watch being accessable to 3rd parties like Fitbit but the other functionality of the watch won out so I passed on my tracker to a family member and am just waiting to get my Aria, my Android Wear watch, and the Fitbit platform all talking to each other so I can get back on track!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.