Heart rate zones alert feature

Many fitness enthusiasts and individuals of whom base their workouts on target heart rate zones would really appreciate a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic as well -if possible ALL Fitbit watches. This feature would allow a Fitbit user to manually set their Fitbit watch to alert the user once their targeted maximum and minimum heart rate has been achieved while performing a workout. Â The watch would vibrate on the user's wrist alerting the user when their selected heart rate has been accomplished or met allowing the user to more cater their workouts to stay within a selected threshold. Â Implementing this feature will also serve well as a safety feature which can alert the user when their calculated heartrate is dangerously high or above the maximum threshold that they set enabling the user to adjust their workout accordingly. Â Some Fitbit users I can imagine and many other individuals have cardiovascular/heart related issues which prevent them engaging in a workout that is too intense therefore a heart rate alert feature implemented into the new Fitbit Ionic would make the watch more marketable to the present customer base, a broader audience of fitness enthusiasts, and desirable to a whole new market of individuals of whom have cardiovascular/heart issues and will really appreciate a heartrate alert feature implemented into their fitness/activity trackers. Overall, implementing this feature will likely increase popularity of the watch, increase revenue, and appeal to a wider range of individuals that are taking steps to improve their health through daily workouts but are limited to what they can do due to cardiovascular/heart concerns. Â Implementing this feature can likely be as simple as have software engineering add it to a software/firmware update which will allow it to perform identical to the silent/vibrating alarm feature already included in most Fitbit watches anyhow.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity, format & labels.

1,448 Comments
Yasiv
Runner
Good Thought!

You should definitely be able to turn this feature off during the night, like you can do with a silent alarm.

Appreciate your point!

contains. The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the author, and do
not necessarily represent those of St Hilda's Anglican School for Girls
unless this is clearly indicated. This e-mail is copyright. St Hilda's is
not liable if any attachment is altered without written consent. St Hilda's
accepts no liability for any direct or indirect damage or loss resulting
from the use of any attachments to this e-mail. No virus found in this
incoming message.
FibroMEEP
Jogger
You're welcome 😊
cmoneylady
Recovery Runner

I have a heart condition so it would be nice to notified during workouts when I'm reaching my max heart rate.

cmoneylady
Recovery Runner

The title changed on me. I don't need a verbal notification a simple hard notification would do.

Zeebald
First Steps

I have a tendency, no I always push myself too hard, with around a 40% reduction in lung function due to extensive scarring of my lungs my heart compensates by working harder. I'm coming up to my 67th birthday and recognise the need to pull back, I've hit 160 plus a few times,  vibrating alert that I could set around 150 would be great, any chance?

AA150
First Steps

I can't believe this idea is from 2014 and this functionality is still not available for Fitbit devices! I have a Charge 2. It would be so very helpful to guide workouts without having to constantly click on my watch, tap the screen, etc etc all of which forces me to break stride, change my breathing, not look where I am going, and is generally annoying. Please Fitbit, add this to the next software update! 

SarahGBF
Stepping Up

I like to train within specific heart rate zones.  displaying real time stats is helpful.  However what would be really useful is for differenciated alarms or vibrations to occur when heart rate goes above or below the range set.  This would allow for me to adjust pace up or down to keep in the zone

V_belinsky
First Steps

That would be a great update! Highly necessary for hr charge. 

Veeru79
Jogger

How hard this could be? 

When they have beeps  and vibration when you hit your desired steps, miles, floors etc? Why can't we just add another if statement to set when your max heart rate is reached. 

Secondly, I believe the mile abd steps count is a bit generous. I was doing a trail run with my friend who had a gps tracker. His showed accurate of 4.5 miles (the actual trail length) the Fitbit showed 5.5.  

Donrad
Recovery Runner
Agree with all your observations.

Sent from Don's iPhone
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Install a customizable heart rate setting that vibrates at a end-user choice of low, high or both. Allow this option to be flexible and changed as needed while working out.

Example: goal of conditioning I set watch to vibrate at low heart rate of 80 (means I need to push harder) but a 2nd vibration (breathing heavy) HR @ 150 so I can slow down...this allows end user to push harder without stopping to see heart rate screen watch. This feature also allows individuals to realize conditioning improvements. Thanks.

tomcgraves
Recovery Runner

The new Apple iWatch has HR and they have introduced an irregular heartbeat notification into the iPhone fitness software. I prefer my Fitbit Blaze and I don't like the iPhone, so I'm hoping Fitbit follows suit.

Tripop
First Steps

I agree completely with implimenting this feature. It's a simple software update that should have been done years ago. I write code for stuff like this and there is no reason you can not do it, actually it's rather simple. This is a threshold alarm, a simple IFTET statement within the heart rate get routine to check a user input variable against the current HR is all you need to do. So why in over 2 years has the development team NOT implimented such a simple update? Let's go team, you can do this!!! Look, if your concerned about liability, just add this to the disclaimer you already have about health and exercise, we know the HR is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, it's an approximate reading, so a threshold alarm can't ever be used to save a life, especially if you already have health issues and your useing your Fitbit to help you monitor your health as you exercise. Please respond as to the current status of this request explaining why you have or have not implimented this capability.

Futzy99
First Steps

This would be great for those of us who have an ICD and need to worry about the device triggering

peex
Jogger

I have a medical issue, so i need to stay under a specific hearthrate. An alert like this was the first thing that came in my mind, but no chance without any coding-skills. Please make it happen.

ladyofthewoods
Base Runner

I vote for this also.

elakat
Jogger

I am trying to use my Alta HR to stay under a certain bpm for medical reasons, and an alert would go a long way to helping with this. It could be based on our ranges/max, or even better there could be an option to set the bpm within the app.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

this feature is requested since a lot of years, i have it on my old and basic Polar, and it's not implemented in the Ionic ?

I will wait some more years before purchasing a new Fitbit.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have a post for the same type of feature...for all Fitbit watches.

RobbieC.
Recovery Runner

I vote for this feature too!

Luiz_BR
First Steps

My brother gave to me a gift, it´s a Charge 2. The first question that come in my mind: "is there any vibration alerts when in reach my Heart rate zone?"  Him answer was "no", then I came here to share this frustrated think. I love practice outdoor exercise, always in fat burn. Charge 2 alarms features don´t help me so much, in this case. sadly

Yasiv
Runner

A very simple idea that should be reasonably easy to initiate.

I love my charge 2 and wear it every day, but I don't look at my heart rate during workouts anymore, because it is to difficult. 

It's a pity, because the heart rate monitor is one of the best, compared to other watches around the world.

Please include this feature in an update Fitbit!

priyadi
First Steps

Dear Fitbit developer.

Please add alarm for heart rate (Fitbit Charge 2)

I bought Fitbit Charge 2 for my wife who has chronic heart problem and recently had a heart attack (HR 20~30BPM) and almost died.

I bought this to monitor her heart rate. I really need alarm for when the heart rate goes below 60...

This is a matter of life and death.

Please add:

1. Alarm with sound from the fitbit charge 2

2. Alarm to smartphone

3. If possible, alarm to multiple phones (Family phones)

Maddy522
Recovery Runner
I have been checking online every few months to see if anyone can simply
make my alarm or a beep when my heart rate is up too high.
Seems like it wouldn’t be so hard.I know a lot of people would buy it. Maddy
vegar_m
Jogger

Please, add this feature! It will be very useful during running to keep track of the heart rate zones! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.