Integrate with iOS Health

Hi there,

I'm really excited about Apple's announcement of the Health App in iOS 8 to be release this fall.  I'm looking forward to seeing a product announcement by Fitbit for a successor to the recalled Fitbit Force, and I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits intigration with Apple's new Health App to be released alongside iOS 8 this fall.  

This is a huge oportunity to make your devices even smarter and more integrated - Please support these APIs!  Thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels.

4,966 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Healthkit can store data from various sources. The only data that is not there is Fitbit data: big shame.

I bought a flex 2 only because I knew an app that sync Fitbit data with HealthKit. Otherwise I would have buyed the misfit ray that automatically sync data with healthkit.

Fitbit is doing a risky business with its users.

Duncs
First Steps

I guess they make plenty more money by keeping their data exclusive and selling it, than they would by sharing it with HealthKit. I assume that diminishes the value of it, so they keep it proprietary.

I also suspect that the reason FitBit accounts can only be created by 18 year old and above (or 14 with parental consent) is because of the things they use the data for, and who/how they sell it on.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

But they can sell this data also syncing with HealthKit without hurting their users.

I don't know if keeping that data exclusively can add value for them.

Duncs
First Steps
Data is hugely valuable though. If it wasn't saleable, then I assume they
would have implemented this feature long ago. There is no other reason not
to. It always comes down to the money. I highly doubt FitBit are just
ignoring this request out of spite for their customers.

Data is the commodity which makes all these huge social platforms worth so
much money. If they let it integrate with HealthKit, i am pretty sure that
Apple would be able to use it to include in their sales, and would mean
other companies could access it.

That's just speculation though.

It is the only rational explanation I can think of for preventing users
from getting the full use from their data on their own devices.
wealthychef
Base Runner
What's irrational is that the US government allows companies to make our data into their property and lock us out of it. It should be mandatory that we get access to our data.

----------------------------------------
Rich Cook
----------------------------------------

It's not the time it takes to take the take that takes the time; it's the time it takes between the takes that takes the time. - Roy Scheider
Duncs
First Steps
Yeah, that's where it gets very muddy.

It *is* data about ourselves, but the creation of that data in a useable
form has been collected through the product created by the company. The
data wouldn't exist if we didn't have the devices to create it.

So that's where the T&C come in.

It is frustrating how those things are all or nothing. We can read them
all, and either accept everything in them, or nothing. Would be nice to be
able to exclude clauses we don't want to accept and still be able to use
the device.

It's more frustrating that it is not enough to give FitBt money and our
data, and be prevented from using it ourselves in every way possible.
Particularly for those people paying several hundred £$€ for their device.

You would think that any fitness app accepted for Apple would be required
to share data with the HealthKit. Apple seem particularly aggressive when
it comes to things like that (see Bandcamp being prevented from selling
digital music directly through their app as an example of Apple trying to
monopolise their own device with their own apps).
ekimoll
Jogger

Just junked my Up3 for a Fitbit Alta HR.

Now I would like this Fitbit to synch with the Health iOS app

When might this happen ?  Seems like at couple of years have gone by with little traction.

Wisk
First Steps

I have been using my Fitbit to improve my vo2 due to my life dibilitating conditions and recently in my docs surgery happens to notice other people with Fitbit not in best condition on question to a Feb support there actually were many with same health conditions using trackers to improve health but the app has no way of being made aware that for me with 50%lung function 7,000 steps I do is a big concern also that my heart may peak to 135 on a walk but this is in compensation for poor lung function,

maybe something could be done on app

Myryama
Stepping Up

I have a Charge 2 (which I love) after owning a Charge HR for almost a year. Great kit, love the app, love being able to challenge my friends etc.

All I now need is integration with iOS Health app - I want to be able to see all my health data in one place. My wife is about to get an Apple Watch to replace her Fitbit. If that goes well (and she certainly seems excited about it) then I’ll probably switch as well on the grounds that Fitbit aren’t going to address this request and the only way to pull my data into a single app is to dive more deeply into Apple’s ecosystem.

AnGu
First Steps

Hi there,

I'm really hoping to hear some exciting news about Fitbits integration with Apple's Health App. The fact that they are not compatible is really a minus for Fitbit to me. 

Thanks!

DavidFirman
Keeping Pace

Here in the UK, a lot of GP (For those of you who are not UK based, the GP is the General Practitioner, i.e. the family doctor) surgeries are linked to "Patient Access" (PA) which is an online medical service allowing booking of appointments, repeat prescriptions etc.   PA can also provide the GP (MD, Doctor or whatever you want to call them) with medical information (typically, for most Fitbit users, this would be steps and HR) stored in HealthKit, via a phone App - hence facilitating easier diagnosis of certain conditions, backing up (or disproving) patients' claims of exercise  / activity etc - which provides additional information, based on the patients actual circumstances, which could lead to a more accurate diagnosis of the underlying condition.  

However, for this to happen, the information needs to actually be IN HealthKit - hence the need for Fitbit data to be linked / synced with HealthKit, natively, without a 3rd party app.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Yes fitbit is a health company,  not a medical company. 

As for why BP was removed from the dashboard see https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-com-Dashboard/Old-manual-logging-pages-will-be-retired-on-8-3...

jokegennie
First Steps

+1 for  aria data to send to iphone  Healthkit

CaptainV45
First Steps

I'm in the market for a new smart watch and looked to Fitbit because I am a Pebble owner currently. My Pebble, Strava, Wahoo and Ride with GPS all work with Apple's Health Kit. Because of this, I am well engrained into the Apple Health system and have even used it to store results from doctors appointments and bloodwork.

To prepare for a future purchase of a Fitbit device, I downloaded the Fitbit app today. While poking around in the app it seemed strange I couldnt find a way to connect it to my AHK. So I consulted Google and found that despite three versions of iOS since AHK was introduced, Fitbit still did not support it.

I'm glad I discovered this before making a purchase.

I hope Fitbit will consider Health Kit integration. Until it does, I will look elsewhere for a new smart watch. Which is a shame, the new Ionic looks to meet all of what I want (and expect) from a smart watch except it doesn't work with Health Kit.

nadia_w
Jogger

Any idea how I unsubscribe myself from this thread? I'm board of hearing just how many people are pissed off with Fitbit for their lack of support. I already know they are useless.. I don't need to be reminded every day that they refuse to listen to their customers and only think about themselves.. 

hdofu
First Steps
Duncs
First Steps

go to the top of the op in the thread, and press the three dots to the right hand side.  Unsubscribe is in there

Dafyddabed
First Steps

Really frustrated my fitbit (which was over $100) doesn't integrate with HealthKit. I previously had a tracker from Withings which worked perfectly fine but apparently was subject to overheating and was recalled. Switched to Fitbit and also switched to Android for a while. I am back to Apple and think it is absurd that fitbit still refuses to integrate with Healthkit. I find the graphs of heartrate, etc. provided by fitbit to be to imprecise and would like the ability to link to Healthkit and analyze there or with other apps. You can be sure I won't spend my hard earned dollars on fitbit again.

miked13
First Steps

I use other iOS apps for health and exercise in addition to my Fitbit app/Charge 2 tracker so having all of them feed into Apple Health via HealthKit would give me a single view into my health and fitness data.  Other iOS apps that I use:

MapMyRun to track my running routes and play music on my iPhone

Strong to track my weight lifting, C9 or group fitness exercises at the Gym

Nokia Health Mate with my Nokia (Withings) Body scale to track my weight/BMI

All three of these apps send their data to Apple Health via HealthKit.

I’d like Fitbit to send Apple HealthKit my daily steps, daily calories burned (might be called Active Energy in HealthKit), exercise data to feed into HealthKit “workout” such as the active minutes, calories burned, distance walked/ran, and any sleep analysis data 

CLRobison
First Steps

I have a Charge HR, a Surge, an Apple Watch. It would be nice to have all of the devices count in the FitBit app on my iPhone. 

phoenixoflight
First Steps

Another vote for this integration.  Without this feature, I am exploring other devices that do integrate with Apple healthkit

turboICE
Jogger

So everything I use or intend to use works with Apple Health. fitbit refuses to. Well unless they intend on coming out very soon with a better health information integration software that other data collectors will sync with they are just plain stupid. Creating a techecosystem island requires unable to live without hardware AND software. fitbit refusal to unlock OUR data for use in superior software is a decision they will die to regret.

Wadekellyd
Jogger

Add integration already.

Ms911
Recovery Runner

I really love my Fitbit Blaze but even though the app is really comprehensive I would still like to integrate the data from my Blaze to Apple Health. Please consider adding this functionality. I’ve seen comments from folks as far back as iOS 8 and here we are at iOS 11 and still no data sharing. 

Stellarsaurus
First Steps

I would love the ability to sync the step count saved in the Health app on my phone with the Fitbit app.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.