Run Cadence

It seems since the surge is already tracking steps that adding cadence as one of the tracked metrics during a run (and displayed on the activities page) would be a very nice and somewhat trivial addition.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity and labels. 

82 Comments
JogCreative
First Steps

It would be amazing if you developed a FITBIT SPEEDOMITOR that can clip to my bike and track my speed, distance and pace, it could work with my app to also map the rought!

pyk
Recovery Runner

Definitely a desired feature!

obj63mc
Jogger

While loving the new bike mode I am still not able to 100% rely soley on my Fitbit Surge as I don't have a way to check my cadence accurately or have it recorded with my ride.  

While the Surge can connect via BT to the phone to control music, instead of connecting to the music player, it would be nice if it could connect to a speed/cadence sensor for the bike and record that information with our workout.  I believe that based off of what the hardware is already doing this should be possible so would love to see this work.

If you add this additional level of tracking your bike mode will almost be 100% complete, only other thing would be connecting to a power meter.  If you could do those 2 then you really have a fitness 'super watch'.

RossP
Recovery Runner

This would be fantastic and it's a very useful training tool, especially when shown on the web dashboard alongside pace/altitude/heartrate, and probably moreso when exported to Strava for analysis.

ChrisHC
First Steps

Totally agree, for a cyclist cadence is a big thing, and to top it off waterproof for tri-atheletes. win all the way

MattRoney
Jogger
Good afternoon, I currently have a 'One' which I enjoy, I was wondering if there was a way you folks could look into adding a 'cadence' feature, or a metronome function, so I run a lot and though I track my miles using another app, I track my steps with you guys and cadence/steps per minute seem to be important to the running community.
connolley
First Steps

I agree!

jonhinch
First Steps

I was looking at getting a Surge but I have also been considering a Garmin as I want this feature and my current watch (Garmin) doesn't have it. I prefer the wrist pulse recording but I won't make a purchase without this feature and it does seem easy to capture if it is already logging steps.

Alesia
Walker

Agree!  I have the Surge and a steps per minute line would be a great/needed addition.  A metronome function would be a nice bonus as well.

Ruudpiet
Jogger
When cycling, current speed/pace is required! Please add it to bike mode
duongpink
Jogger

I agree with RossP. It's better for runner to add this function to Surge and Dashboard also.

Ruudpiet
Jogger
Add current speed/pace to bike mode
Jo-Unruh
Jogger

I had cadence on my polar and found it most useful.  Please can we have this feature.

aidan214
Jogger

Let's phrase it this way.....build a cadence/speed/power sensor and think of the money you could make with an all in one fitness super system!

Speed
First Steps
Average speed is less interestig. Fitbit should have a speed meter too.
Legally_klee
Jogger

You'd have to have a separate sensor for your wheel.

YvonneAZ
First Steps

Yes, please. +1, I run and train using cadence. My ismoothrun app and pebble did this.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Since the Surge has a bike mode that uses the GPS this would be possible.

macbrown31
First Steps

As a runner with Suunto watch I would like to see if fitbit could put in a speed, dadence and pace graph for runs.  Then I would hav to only run with one watch.

kenrhorne
Jogger

As a runner, the ONLY real value of step count for me is step cadence i.e. steps per minute.

I currently do thsi really roughly post-run bu dividing the peak 15 minutes worth of stepsby 15.

What i reaaly want is a figure upadting each minute, shoeing what my step cadence was - I'm looking to up my step cadenmce from 140 to 170

My Flex can't do this, though it does have all the data (I also use Runkeeper with Iphone 5)

I'm looking to replace the Flex with a smartwauch or tracker with time diaply, ideally with this fucntion.

Surge HR looks good, but not until this is supported.

Dilnad
First Steps

I have written them multiple times. I love my ChargeHR and badly want the Surge so I don't have to wear my Garmin 220 + Fitbit but until they add Cadence, it's an absolute no sale. I consider it a critical metric for serious runners.. The device has the needed accelerometer. Just needs someone to code the firmware.

michov
Jogger

Seems to be a simple addition and something many users will appreciate. HW is ready. Data is available. We just need a little tweak in the Split screen to not only show the time but also de steps done for each mile.

Looking forward for it.

NickFitz
Jogger
Having seen fellow runners with watches that display cadence it would be a great addition to the surge.
boyzie
First Steps

Yes this would be great.  My windows phone does it but would love my Surge to have it.

hau2511
Jogger

Yes, I am really want this function and it is useful for running.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.