Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
Yetitim
Jogger

Cycling completely essential. Why isn't it already available?

Baggy
Recovery Runner
Looks like we are getting the wish... Fitbit UK (@FitbitUK) tweeted at 8:50 pm on Wed, Feb 18, 2015: @the_bagster ah well *drum roll please*, we are working on a Surge cycling feature! https://t.co/mk1IMnq60m (https://twitter.com/FitbitUK/status/568150565798195200?s=03)
mdeisenh
First Steps

Definitely need a cycling/bike mode with gps.

Also could use a cycling/bike mode without gps for indoor stationary bikes...

Baggy
Recovery Runner
It has spinning mode for indoor just not cycling with GPS...
ToxicGecko
Stepping Up

It seems a Surge cycling activity is "in the works", but I agree with many others this should be a selectable exercise to track within the phone app. This would allow users of other trackers, (Charge HR) to use the function as well. Right now the app is run, walk, hike and then nothing, absolutely ridiculous. How long has fitbit been in the game? Come on, get with it already! Typical fitbit reply seems to be to manualy enter the exercise. Having to do this everyday, I don't think so.

The Surge compaired to the TomTom MultiSport, TomTom has it perfect with Run, Cycle, Swim, Treadmill and Freestyle exercise options. However, no wrist heart rate monitor.

Garmin vivoactive, same thing as the TomTom MultiSport and more, (golf, touch screen, etc.), but still no wrist HR monitor.

As far as bands instead of watches, Charge HR = no love for the cycle, mountain bike or road. Call notification = good, text notification = completely missing, why? No idle alert.

Garmin vivosmart has calls, texts, app support for cycling, idle alert, but again no wrist HR monitor. 

If the Charge HR would add text notifications and the fitbit app would have a cycle exercise option, please take my money!!! At the very least, while I wait for the app update, please let me easily sync my cycling activity from other apps like Strava into the fitbit app without a manual entry or downloading files from one for upload into the other. 

Maybe I'll just have to wait for the iWatch...

farkmischer
Jogger

I want to be able to get distance, pace, total time, HR, and estimated calories.  If some day you decide to add equivalent steps that is fine but I really do not not need steps when cycling I just want to have it be easier to track my cycling.  Right now I have to unlock my phone open the app start tracking and my phone is so big that I have to stop to check pace information.  It would be nice to be all on my wrist. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
IOS app to track cycling in addition to the run, walk, hike options would be a great software upgrade.
dbanderson1
Recovery Runner

Moderators in forums have already stated that this is already underway.  I can't wait!  Get on your bikes and ride!

colinmct
First Steps

Can't believe this is a feature I have to wait for. I hope it gets sorted before the apple watch comes out, or I'll be returning this for it. 

RobWriter
First Steps

I second this need for a GPS enabled tracking of cycling. It's a vital part of my cross training while avoiding the joint issues of jogging. The packaging at Best Buy listed cycling. I was unppleasantly surprised when I got home and found out it didn't. I'm trying out the new Surge a few more days, and looking at other solutions. Unless I see a comitment soon to this, I will probably return it to the store.

colinmct
First Steps

its crazy. It lists cycling, but doesn't track properly. It lists 5 ATM of water resistance but can't recomend swimming??? They need to list these non fetaures properly. 

@kevin63 wrote:

Fit bit is great at tracking exercise ffrom walking, hiking, and running. When I go cycling, I have to track that exercise using other apps. the Fit Bit app should include a way to enter other types of exercise through the Track Exercise option on the app. this would be a grreat improvement and make the experience more universal.

Moderator added labels

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

yes please, there needs to be a cycling tracker on the exercise page. please approve this add on

spgusz
Jogger

I'm eagerly awaiting this myself.  I'm hoping it comes in an update before spring since I plan to get riding as soon as the snow is gone!

ChrisCollier
Jogger

Would definitely love to see road/track cycling and mountain biking added as exercises I can discreetly track on my new Surge. Like a lot of other people I was kind of disappointed that I could not add at least one of these in the Exercises section.

blakjakau
Recovery Runner

Any update on this?

Cycling (GPS+HR) option on Surge is still a deal breaker for a lot of people, and the last update on this thread was almost 3 months ago...

Alcedema
Recovery Runner

This is an absulte must! I would even go as far as to say that this should be as high a priority on the menu as Running is. 

The surge already records GPS/HR so I wouldn't see it as adding any more to the device itself.

I actually bought it to record my bike rides (and seeing all of the pictures of cyclists on the adverts). So was very disappointed to see that it's only being considered.

colinmct
First Steps
I ended up returning my Surge. Has a GPS but won't track cycling, lists 5 ATM of water resistance but within the first day gets water in the screen and condensation builds up. Fitbit you are the industry leader, why is your trophy product so lacking?
Canni
Jogger

Cycling for all users!! PLEASE!!!! 🙂

ketil_vestby
Stepping Up

Please let cycling tracking be a part of the Fitbit app, not a standalone.

I recently bought a HTC M8 with Fitbit preinstalled, but am forced to run Endomondo on it since Endomondo support cycling. The preinstalled Fitbit app is just a resource-grabbing memory hog, useless since most of my excersises are on bicycle.

Its a shame really, because HTC have really done a good job on the rest of the smartphone.

An unable to uninstall the app, so please fix Fitbit.

I know rooting the phone to get the Fitbit app out probably is my only option, but it void the warranty - and makes me uneasy because I dont know the side effects.

StephanL
First Steps

Many  months after this request was created, despite a strong support for it and all the comments on the forum, still no news from Fitbit. The moderator added that 'they love the cyclist'. Maybe but that doesnt' tell us if and when they're going to deliver something.

The surge has now a quite poor rating on Amazon. It's strange because the Surge is not a bad product but it's obvious that Fitbit is either not listening or doesn't care about its customers. Hopefully at some point they will react.and build this mandatory feature for a product like the Surge.    

stephen_h_90
Jogger

THey have said on Twitter it is something they are working on. Things like this do take time and cant be added over night

StephanL
First Steps

I hope they are working on it. But the status of the request is still 'Under Consideration'. And if they're working on it they should be able to give an estimated go live date.

Woking on something doesn't mean you're going to deliver it. It really depends how hard you're working on it... 

stephen_h_90
Jogger

Yeah they don't really update this they announced the feature on twitter

ketil_vestby
Stepping Up
They are really good at advertizing their product but when the product is
useless..

If HTC M9 are without Fitbit as trashware, I'll switch my M8 for it when M9
comes to market. If Fitbit is trashware in M9, I'll switch to another
manufacturer.

Fitbit / trashware provoke me, especially when the trashware is as useless
as the Fitbit app.
ecolli
Jogger
Please give us a feedback and a roadmap of the cycling feature request...
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.