Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
Bill_Peterhouse
Recovery Runner
Forget STEPS!!!!! Just give us GPS for cycling!!!!
Alcedema
Recovery Runner

Here here!

lougazzola
Jogger

How was this not included?  This is a standard excercise -- moreso than spinning.

lougazzola
Jogger

This is an absolute must have -- easy to implement, IMO.  And helps beat the competition like Garmin.

ecolli
Jogger

guys, in a couple of days apple will release the new smarth watch that problably will have a deeper integration with the device and app. if we really want to have a competive product we need to accelerate the development of cycle and the integration with 3rd party app. please give more details before user start to sell their fitbit device....

kingajk5
Stepping Up
I agree

Regards

Jeff King
dmj1987
Jogger

Why limit to Surge?!  Get it on the Charge HR.  Struggling to see why it couldn't be included.  Upvoted, but it has to be for Charge HR and Surge.

stephen_h_90
Jogger

Not sure how it would work with the Hr. Would have no idea how far you have travelled just if your going up or down. Guess it would be nice for it not to count steps from bumps and hr estimates calories with what info it has. They are meant to be integraring with strava as well so perhaps it could send your hr over and links with phone gps.  

dmj1987
Jogger

Exactly - you can track running outside on Charge HR via your phone, so why not Cycling?  I realise it's sensors are built for steps/running, so link it to your phone and you have all the info a cyclist would need - GPS for distance/speed/elevation + heart rate.

tcrochford
Recovery Runner

I second this too. I am a convert from Polar because I hoped to save time messing about with the HRm and getting that to syn with the apps and the Polar Loop. Cycling IS shown on the dashboard as a 'popular' activity, let's make it available ob the App as well please.

RhymeswithOrang
Recovery Runner

Adding Cylcing and exposing that information via your API to 3rd party services would make you guys amazing in my book!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not just the Surge. Please add to app so I can track cycling with my Charge HR also.

frenchp
First Steps

This would make my the Surge I just purchased nearly perfect! Cycling is my number one exercise option. Please make cycling a workout option on the Surge. Thank you FitBit!

jorang
Hill Runner

Got  my Surge 3 days ago. 

Surprised that the Surge is lacking obvious functionality and offers features not actually present. Music control for Android does't work, clock seldom on screen when used as wrist  watch (lack of home functionallity for the clock screen) and just a few different exercise alternatives to track. Worst of all - cycling not supported.

Do Fitbit developers really think is rational to have their users beg for obvious functionallity page after page on this forum without giving any kind of response for months? 

Fitbit - it is really on time to respond on which functionallity is in the pipeline and an estimate on the release date for features!

When can we expect the next FW release with new functionallity?

What is your typical release frequency?

Could you please issue a tread within your forum where users may vote in a structural way for features?

I concider the present way to run and moderate this forum insane for a product competing on the global market.....

Fitbit - its time to offer a response.....

StephanL
First Steps
I completely agree. We really need an answer from Fitbit.

I can't explain myself why Fitbit created this forum if it was not o use
it. It makes things even worse as not only we don't have the expected
features on the Surge but we feel completely abandoned. They should not
have said they care and are working on it if they can't deliver it.

Really strange commercial strategy. Communication is a basic and not that
difficult for any company who wants.
kingajk5
Stepping Up
I agree also, I have had my surge for 2 months now and still don't know what the plan is regarding these obvious omissions!!!

Please let us know or I'll be taking it back as soon as the apple watch becomes available

Regards

Jeff King
RobWriter
First Steps

I also posted this to their Facebook page:

I really like the FitBit Surge, but like many others am disappointed it didn't have a road cycling capability as was suggested by some advertising in Best Buy. I joined hundreds of others in requesting this feature, many of who are growing frustrated due to lack of any response on your community page.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Track-Exercise-cycling/idi-p/572315

Nayora
Jogger
Can I use spinning for cycling?
Nayora
Jogger
can I use spinning exercise for cycling and would it show the necessary details?
EvanH
First Steps

Any new updates on this? its been about 5 months, I just purchased a surge and realized it doesn't have the ability to track cycling... 

davedawgs
Stepping Up

I too wish for a cycling mode and interface to Strava and Garmin.  The issue with Surge as it is as I see it (w/o Cycling) is that when I wear it for the HR I get credited with Stairs and Steps although I was on a bike. I got back from  a 13 mile ride and got a Fitbit achievement for 50 floors climbed!  Nope, was on a bike. Yes, I added the Cycle trip manually, but Fitbit already had way too many steps and stairs for the day.  I need Fitbit to either stop counting while biking or get a cycling mode. I din't like the option of taking it off, but that is the only option now.

ketil_vestby
Stepping Up
Reinitiated the preinstalled Fitbit app on my HTC smartphone today, it
updated to a new version from when I deactivated it.

The only positive thing: It died instantly when I started to make it
register a walk and turned off the screen. Could turn it off that way, to
avoid false registrations. The app still dont register cycling.

Am unable to run because of an old injury in a ancle, can do other sports
just fine. When Fitbit only support running, and the best feature of the
app is that it dies when activated..

Am sorry that I tried to be a customer of Fitbit. Will try again but not
for some time. My experience, and Fitbits replies to this forum, makes me
believe they are struggling to get control of their own systems and
development. I need to give Fitbit some time to prove if they will be able
to get their Android app and their hardware useable.
EvanH
First Steps

For me cycling just needs to include HeartRate, GPS, and time; elevation would be nice too. everything else just needs disabled. (Steps and Flights of Stairs) Then it would be posted as if you manually tracked it, but it would be automatic from the app. This is super easy, any future for it Fitbit?

Mathieu
Jogger
Agreed on this one. Cycling should be avaliable. before the start of cycling season if possible
davedawgs
Stepping Up
There was a post saying you could edit activities. I can only view and delete. Again problem is even with Spinning on as activity the Fitbit still thinks cycling is steps. Need to get steps out of activity! How do you get cycling to NOT record steps. There are NONE.

Sent from my iPad
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.