Track Cycling on Mobile App with GPS

What would be a great addition to the mobile app would be the ability to track cycling as well as the run, walk, hike options.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity.

791 Comments
Bush_Monster
Stepping Up
This is an important feature for me as I sync with Strava via the Fitbit app and the heart rate shows up nicely with the route, speed and climbs etc. Trouble is whilst I can change from say a hike to cycle in Strava you can't do this in Fitbit dashboard (there is another feature request for this). Also the app should allow for auto stop like apps such as Strava and Mapmyride do.
Biketracker
First Steps
A small suggestion that when we are doing active tracking by phone gps on the app for charger HR there should be an option for bike also other than rUn hike and walk.. as phone is doing the tracking and the device is calculating the calories burned ( this feature is in built in surge) but can be added to charge HR when tracking through gps on phone
JonR43
Base Runner
I need to be able to bike without steps I haven't done being credited when I don't deserve it... Please add
wendywatts
First Steps

totally agree... using my phone to track by bike rides but having to use run resulting in a very fast run time and excessive calories burned

Martin2015
First Steps

Yes I would like it to track cycling as wel, as I prefer to cycle rarther than run

cmichaelo
Jogger

I am anxiously waiting for this app feature. I hate having to use two apps (MapMyFitness and FitBit). The GPS tracking feature already exists for runs; just change the calorie count and call it cycling.

WiserOne
Base Runner
Yay! They added it! Thanks Fitbit!
WiserOne
Base Runner
Nevermind..... It supposedly will recognize when you start biking but it won't use GPS from the app..... What the hell....
BryBub
Strider
The new auto recognized exercises supports outdoor bike. However, the Fitbit tracker still only supports walk, run, hike. Are there plans on adding outdoor bike to the gps tracker? I cannot figure out why not. I mean, Fitbit now auto recognizes outdoor bike, please give us gps with it? Via the walk, run, hike gps tracker? Thank you.
Craig
Distance Runner

Bike is in the settings. Go to the tracker settings then edit and you can add bike.settings.JPG

EmilyEL
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@BryBub You can integrate your account with Strava to track bike rides with Surge via GPS, or you can track cycling as an activity as @Craig explained. This idea has already been implemented; I hope this answers your question!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes bizarre that the only options for 'tracking' are run, walk, and hike(?). But no cycling. Shame, as when I use it for walking it works really well. 

sabledrakon
Jogger

As the subject reads. It'd be nice to have the ability to track cycling as well as walking/running/hiking.

TDA
Recovery Runner

I see the status marked as "Implemented", but I still only see Walk, Run and Hike in the options of "GPS Tracking".

I do NOT have the "Exercise Shortcuts" option in my tracker settings.

Tracker: FitBit ChargeHR.

Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 6), FitBit 2.15 (released Dec 3, 2015).

DSC04639.JPG

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The Fitbit would need to know what great your in, and adjusted when changing gears. Even this willing be enough since the tracker would think your squandering so while coasting

SeaDragon
Stepping Up

A year and a half of customers requesting an addition to an app that is very achievable - yet nothing! Why might this be?  I wonder if it is to push sales of the Surge???  

Guess what Fitbit Marketing Team? I would have bought the Surge if it didn't look like a Casio from the 1980's!  It's not only too big and heavy, but it's too ugly. I sit with clients all day; I won't do it. I don't think I'm alone. That's why your Surge sales are lagging guys. 

So I have the Charge HR. Lovely bit of hardware. I walk, I run, I cycle, I do resistance training - like many, many people. I have the Strava app, like every cyclist ("If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen"). Fitbit syncs with Strava; BUT Strava won't accept rides without GPS data. Of course, you need GPS data so you can compare rides and analyse. So I need to use the Fitbit App to get GPS. Oh, guess what? No cycling option! 

To summarise, I can:

1. Manually start an activity on the Charge HR - but no GPS data

2. Manually start a ride (ie. a "run") in the App - but no cycling option, so unrealistic steps and floors.  But this is the only way to get data over to Strava (by exporting file from Fitbit website, uploading to Strava site and then editing the entry in Strava from Run to Ride).  Not a simple solution. 

I could:

3. Buy a Surge. As I said, it's too ugly plus now I have resentment toward Fitbit because I perceive that this function is being held back for short term financial reasons (rather than building brand alliance through service). 

4. Move over to another piece of hardware like a Polar or Tom Tom. I'm considering this. 

5. Wear a heartrate monitor and use Strava to log the cycling.  Two HRM's; I was hoping to keep this simple.

To fix this problem, Fitbit could:

a. Make cycling available as an option when Tracking an Activity in the App. Simple.

b. Let the Charge HR act as a HRM for other apps like Strava (can't see that happening).

c. Keep ignoring their customers, causing frustration and anger. Smiley Frustrated

So far it has been option C from Fitbit. I think greed will keep it that way but I hope I'm wrong. 

By the way, part of my work involves talking to many people about their lifestyle, which includes exercise, which includes trackers because they motivate people. The longer this goes on, the less I'm recommending this complany.  I'm sure this is the case for many others.

BigFatMarty
First Steps

I was givien the Charge HR as a gift and have been testing it for a week of cycling activities. Aside from getting some inconsistent heart rate monitoring (I hope to see that settle down once I get it positioned better) I am really disappointed in its lack of support for cycling. Using the IOS app I can only select Hike, Run or Walk.  And after the ride I can't edit it to a ride. And if I use the auto tracker I get no GPS. I can and do sync the data to Strava and then change it to a ride in Strava, but I would really like Fitbit to add cycling to the Charge HR options in IOS. And like others have said, I don't want a big clunky looking Surge. If this continues I will probably return it and just buy a heart rate monitor that communicates directly to Strava.

Add cycling to the Charge HR options in IOS.

Thank you.

Superstamen
First Steps

Up for mountain bike dedicated section!

asintjago
First Steps
Currently, you can only track walking, hiking and running. In the Netherlands, bike riding is very popular. I really wish to see bike riding added to tracking routes in the Fitbit iOS app. Longboarding routes would also be nice, but there is probably more demand for bicycle tracking than longboard tracking 😉
Jonwhitear
First Steps
I have a ChargeHR and the IOS app. I want to track bike rides, but he only options are walk, run, and hike. No options in settings to change this. Am I missing something?
abizz
First Steps

Hy!

I really want to see my current speed when I riding. It's a "must have" option for a rider!

Thanks,
Gabe

Jmanyoma
Jogger

I totally agree, bought my fitbit surge and saw speed but didn't realize it was average speed. Bought the surge to replace my phone being used as the computer but upset about the current speed.

Speed is a must for cycling

SaB123
First Steps

PLEASE Add the ability to Track (not just retroactively Log) biking exercise on the Charge.  Currently there are three choices - Walk, Run, Hike.  I'm no developer, but it seems like it would not be too difficult or costly to add Biking.  And I think we can agree it's a mainstream acitivity...!

Currently I have to use as alternative method/app to track my biking distance and time. You dont want me to have to exit the Fitbit app/dashbard do you?  Then I have to manually log in the data on the Fibit app  - too much trouble.

As improvements go, this seems like low hanging fruit to me......

ahsubhan
First Steps

Fitbit charge hr. Please add bike in track exercise or allow 3rd party apps such as mapmyride to input data to fitbit app so my ride can be counted.
The reason why I bought fitbit charge hr is to track my bike but i am dispointed to the fact that it can't track bike accurately and precisely. I am considering to sell my fitbit charge hr.

Thanks

Moderator edit: labels

secretcat
First Steps

Dear Fitbit team,

I understand that Surge has a built-in GPS and can track cycling, however, a lot of people like me still prefer the light-weight and smart design of Charge HR. The lack of bike tracking in Charge HR may turn down a lot of cyclists. I almost always bring my smart phone with me for map and music when I do cycling. It would be great if we can improve the Fitbit APP and make use of the GPS module in smart phones to track cycling.

The basic logic would be like this:

APP:

If user choose to track cycling manually:
    Prompt user to turn on GPS

Set manual cycling tracking flag ON

If GPS is on:
    Automatically record the route in APP

If manual cycling tracking flag ON:

Refresh map visualization

Else:

Just keep record in background

Else:
    Do not record route in APP

If syncing:
    If GPS data exist and (manual cycling tracking flag ON or it looks like cycling for more than 15 min😞
        Combine Charge HR data and improve record
    Else:
        Do what it is doing now, such as adding a walking or exercising record

Charge HR:
No changes needed

Thank you!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.