Track miles on pairs of shoes

There should be a way to track the amount of km's (miles) you performed during your exercises. 

You should also implement a way to reset the counter increase you've swapped your shoes. Or have several counters for those who prepare a marathon and use two pairs of running shoes.

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

116 Comments
PenguinQueen
Jogger

It is a common idea that each pair of exercise shoes lasts about 500 miles.  I have 3 pairs of exercise shoes that I switch between, depending on if I am doing treadmill, walking, running and so forth.  I was hoping fitbit could add a spot that I could pick what shoes I am wearing each day and it prompts me when I need to replace those shoes.  I would also like to be able to go in and see where I am at with each pair of shoes so I know when to start saving up for a new pair/or just start looking around and trying on a new pair.

There should also just be a general shoes as I am not always in sports shoes and all my other walking I would put under that category.  

Thank you Heather

SplitRaindrop
Recovery Runner

I'd love this too! I use NikePlus for runs partially because it has a shoe feature!

sanfong
Recovery Runner

I support this idea too. I wish I could log the gears in my "Activities" so that I could track my usage.

mister_pointy
First Steps

I was just thinking this today. It would be particularly useful if we could retroactively log/change our footwear (similarly to when the user forgets to switch to sleep mode) because I'd like to be able to note that I went out for a walk or a run in my athletic shoes and distinguish that from wear and tear on my office shoes. (I'd forget to note it down before leaving.)

Twc
First Steps

Yes, it would be helpful to track shoe mileage automatically. I agree with others that suggest an edit feature similar to sleep to connect different shoes to specific workouts.

michellejackson
First Steps

Excellent idea.  I was just thinking of about this today and logged in to record the idea and FOUND THIS thread.  YAY.  I hope it gets added.

Twc
First Steps
Thanks for the kind words, happy running!

Tom

Sent from my iPad
jeevmon
First Steps

Yes, this should be a thing. I currently use RunningAhead to track my shoe mileage, but if the Fitbit dashboard were to have a tile for shoe tracking, I would switch over completely.

_A
Recovery Runner

It appears that this idea was posed about a year ago, but it's still labeled as "new." I really do wish this idea was implemented not only because it's good to track miles on a exercise tennis shoe, but also because the FitBit centers around the number of steps you take during a day and being able to designate which shoes one is wearing at any time (or none and going barefoot, for that matter), would be incredibly helpful.

One could track longevity of different types of shoes and compare them to each other or a new pair of a similar type of shoe and be able to decide on the best shoe for that person in the future.

MikeS1971
Progression Runner

I'd like to see the addition of a "gear" tracker on the app and as a tile on the dashboard on the PC. A previous app I was using had this and it was very helpfull determining when my walking/running shoes were close to needing replacement.

When getting new shoes, just upload pic of the shoe and add the shoe to the tracker. The app would know the date and immediatly start tracking miles on those shoes.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Opivali
Jogger
I like it.
Jason_etc
First Steps

I like this suggestion as well. Its pretty much the only feature of Map My Run that still has me using that app since I got my FitBit. But I like the FitBit dashboard and info much better than MMR. This would be a great add on for runners!

jfh21
First Steps

I agree, this was a feature on my Garmin App.  Its very helpful and the only thing I miss since changing to the Surge

Wyeth
First Steps
It would be great to have somewhere in "track exercise" to record how many Km's your running shoes have done. They are supposed to last around 800kms so to keep track would be really helpful and you know if you're getting value out of your runners.
TimB_uk
Base Runner

I'm all for this idea. I have to use a different app instead to track when to replace my running shoes. Surely this should be an easy add to dashboard? 

FreidaK
First Steps

PLEASE add this feature. It is important for us runners to retire our shoes after x miles.

l_whitt
First Steps

I definitely support this idea. Right now I'm using a separate app to keep up with my shoe's miles. 

ddarche
Recovery Runner

Yes please!  This would be a great addition!

ddarche
Recovery Runner

I agree.  The lack of this feature is the only thing that still has me using my old app (LogYourRun).  A gear tracker is what is needed to really make this app stand out!

amsuraj
Jogger

This is critical feature missing. Please add this as soon as you can. Thanks. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@debrockb I like this idea a lot. I would definitely benefit from this as well. Thanks for sharing your idea on the Feature Request Board!

hebba
Recovery Runner

This feature is avail in a 3rd party ap, but I like keeping relying on one ap!  Please add a way to track sneakers lifespan.

@debrockb wrote:

There should be a way to track the amount of km's (miles) you performed during your exercises. 

You should also implement a way to reset the counter increase you've swapped your shoes. Or have several counters for those who prepare a marathon and use two pairs of running shoes.

Thanks in advance!

Moderator edit: added labels

PenguinQueen
Jogger

i just would like to refresh this thread.  I would really appriciate this as a feature as I am constantly going through running shoes as I step so much.  I would love to know which pair is close to its lifetime or which loses cushion way before its life time should be over!

maskerade
Jogger

i love this idea ... also, i would love to see total running mileage for month and year, not just daily recorded miles .... 

_A
Recovery Runner

@maskerade that's a really good idea! Being able to compare exercises to themselves throughout the year would be neat, too. For example, comparing all running exercises in 2015; comparing all weight exercises; comparing all biking exercises; etc.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.