Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map App on App Gallery?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

There’s no Google Maps or anything but I’d just like to know if there’s a map app on Ionic where you can download an area map and just see your location on the map without a phone being present.

thanks!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity & added label

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I believe there are a couple in the App Store if you search “map” that allow you to do this. 

Best Answer

Hi there @SunsetRunner, it's nice to see you around here! My friend @RatedE is right. To install an app:

1. With your watch nearby, on the Fitbit app dashboard, tap or click the Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap or click Apps > All Apps.
  3. Browse the available apps. When you find the one you want to install, tap or click it.
  4. Tap or click Install.
  5. Some apps require certain permissions in order to work properly, such as access to the internet or the ability to run in the background. Review these requested permissions and tap or click Install to add the app to your watch. Note that some permissions can cause your phone to use more data. If you decide at a later time that you don’t want an app to have certain permissions, you can adjust these permissions later.

See the ones I found:

map apps.png

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

Re-animating this thread.  Is there a map app that actually WORKS?  Ie one that works with the Ionic and will actually properly display your location in Google maps or similar, without being tethered to the phone?  I mean, a large part of why I got this Ionic was that promised onboard GPS but so far I can't get it to work properly on any app.  Tried Map but it's garbage and never loaded.  Trying NavBuddy now and it's equally garbage.  Why even put a fitness tracker on market--and make it a flagship item no less--if it doesn't support native GPS mapping?  EDIT:  Maps by Terry seems to work in my apartment; let me see how well it works outside and away from my home WiFi.  But seriously, FitBit should support a native app with position marking, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

There is no app yet to my knowledge. This is because it is not possible to use a cellular connection on any of Fitbit's devices. The GPS function on the Ionic just gives you your coordinates and not where you are on a map. Also, storing a map on the watch is worthless, because Fitbit only allows 64mb of additional memory for each app. Even a 250 square mile map (which sounds like a lot but in reality is only roughly 15 by 15 miles) takes up over 100mb.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Threemoons wrote:

EDIT:  Maps by Terry seems to work in my apartment; let me see how well it works outside and away from my home WiFi.  But seriously, FitBit should support a native app with position marking, etc.

Map by Terry uses HERE maps by Microsoft/Nokia not Google.

It downloads map tiles from the Internet which is sent to the Ionic/Versa over the watch's Bluetooth connection not the watch's wifi connection, which it can't use.

If it works well over wifi and not over cellular it might mean your phone's cellular connection is too slow. If you are on 2G or 3G it will be worse.

Even if your cellular/wifi connection is super fast, the bluetooth connection is slow and each tile takes a second or up to 4 seconds to transfer to the watch from the phone.

Since each tile is 256 by 256 pixels large which is smaller than the screen dimension of (300x300 or 250x348) so logically at any one point the screen will be showing a minimum of 4 tiles and a maximum of 9 tiles.

Map will cache the last 15 tiles on the watch. So if you don't zoom around and just rely on panning around the immediate vicinity, it won't need to get new tiles from the Internet and will work offline for a short while.

Source:

Map is open source and listed on Fitbit's Github repo.

Best Answer
0 Votes