Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotify app reverts to free version (RESOLVED)

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 12/12

Hi everyone,

We're aware of an issue where you sign in to your Spotify Premium account in the Fitbit app and soon after it reverts you back to the free version

Please try steps in this article: How do I control music playing on spotify? 

If you continue experiencing this issue, our teams are aware of the problem and we'll continue to monitor the situation. We may not be able to provide an immediate solution, but we'll keep our team informed of the impact to you and other customers. 

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
90 REPLIES 90

Got a Versa 2 as a gift and would like to be able to skip tracks and control Spotify from the watch. My gripe is the same as everyone else. App reverts back to free account after a couple minutes and then I have to log off and back on. Real pain. Please fix. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LizzyFitbit wrote:

Hi @seemebreakthis and @Moaske. It's good to see you here. @Nicolm19781, welcome on board.

Thanks for joining this thread and sharing your insights about this situation. I know how you feel about this app and your concern about getting it working again. Our team is aware about this behavior and they're currently working on it so it can be fixed soon. While I don't when that will happen, please make sure to keep your watches and the Fitbit app updated to the latest version.

You can also give a try to the great suggestion shared by @Moaske or use the control music function which allows you to control personal music playing on your phone. I'll update this thread once I have more details from the team.

I appreciate your patience and let me know if you need anything else.

I think it's about time some progress is being made on a fix for this long standing issue by now, eh? 😎

-------------------------------------
OnePlus Nord. Used to have a Lumia 950DS, on feature2 builds
Fitbit Versa 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Is there an update yet? I've been looking around the forum and it seems that this problem has been there for 2 months+. So I am perplexed that the support team haven't been able to fix the problem as of yet. 

Spotify is one of the main reasons I bought the Versa 2. At this moment I am certainly not happy with it as the Spotify function just doesn't work properly. If I have to reconnect Spotify every 30 minutes there is no point in having Spotify on the device anyway. 

Would love to hear if there are any updates concerning the issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do not buy a Fitbit thinking to use Spotify. Fitbit's support for Spotify is horrible. If Spotify was why you bought the Fitbit, return it. Buy a Fitbit for fitness, not for Spotify.

I wrote a more detailed summary here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-App-Gallery/Can-t-install-Spotify-on-Fitbit-Versa/m-p/4017439... . (Hopefully the moderators leave it up. It will save a lot of people a lot of frustration).

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any update??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where is the fix for this? Two months of canned responses is unacceptable. It's so tedious having to log out and log in everyday. Definitely not what was sold to me.

Please fix this!

Best Answer

Is there even someone working on the problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

From my web searches and the different threads in this forum, this has been a problem for months and spans many firmware updates. I had my Versa Lite for barely a week and returned it. 

A couple days ago I saw the Fossil Sport on sale and bought it. I have an Android phone and the watch runs Google's Wear OS. Setup was minutes. No frustration. The watch has HR monitoring and Google FIt. 

AND, I didn't have to do anything at all to get Spotify working on the watch. The app was preinstalled on the watch and just works. 

No sync issues, no problems with apps, notifications work. So far I am happy with this watch. And it was the same cost as the Versa Lite.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What a joke.How can this known issue be going on for so long? In a world of everything integrates with everything, so far this fitbit seems like it has some garbage firmware. Updates not being available, and this deal with the spotify config changing from premium to free. 

I guess if I want a device that successfully integrates and does not require a degree in computer science to update I need look at another platform. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Moderators, seriously are you a sleep? It should not take this long to get some assistance!

This is obviously a clear issue with this app and it is leaving many people disgruntled me included  and questioning the integrity of Fitbit as a company. You are not easy to do business with, have you simply give up with updates because of your takeover by Google? Has this been escalated , if not why?

We need answers and  not the usual troubleshooting your providing. It  is simply not good enough.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Thanks for your continued reports and I'm sorry for the delayed response.

I understand how all of you're feeling about the Spotify app not working as it should and appreciate any step that you've tried on your own. This behavior has been already escalated to our team who's working on this matter to bring a solution as fast as possible. Every comment posted in the forums is always taken into consideration to evaluate our procedures and improve the performance of our products, and yours won't go unnoticed. Once I have more details about this situation I'll update this thread.

Thanks for your patience and feel free to reply back if you have another question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the update Lizzy. I did some experimenting today and did find that not closing the fitbit or spotify app prevents the problem from happening. As soon as i close the fitbit app it breaks. A short term work around  for the duration of a single workout. 

Best Answer

Agreed - the canned response is useless and this should not be marked as solved.

Opening fitbit app -> today -> account -> versa2 -> apps -> spotify settings -> log out -> log in -> scroll down -> agree

^ this is NOT a viable solution to the problem when it must be done once an hour to maintain advertised functionality. 

Best Answer

The forums have been completely useless as well.  Now my watch won't install new apps.  The software is so crappy.  I really expected more from fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sell a watch; advertise spotify; spotify doesn't work; embarrassing...

Fix the bug already, it's the reason I bought the thing.

selling broken software should be downright illegal

its not like i paid 200€ for this or anything

Best Answer

100% true ^

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone. Thanks for your continued reports and I'm sorry for my delayed response.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, as well for the troubleshooting that you've tried on your own. I understand your point of view about this matter and I'm sorry that you've gone through this experience. Please know that every post shared in the forums is never taken for granted. Our team is working hard on this feature so it can work correctly and you can take advantage of it. Once I have more details, I'll update this thread.

If you need anything else, feel free to let me know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How can you literally reply something like this when you/your colleague said the same thing a couple weeks ago?

Best Answer

That's the worst part when they respond with the same canned message thanking you for bringing it to their attention.  They are not working on this and it's infuriating. 

Best Answer
I went through tech support last week and they sent me a new versa 2 and ... guess what it does the exact same thing. Call and keep stacking up new free fitbits until they fix it for real
Best Answer
0 Votes