Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance Goal is Incorrect

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have seen that others have had the same problem, but this is frustrating. In the App (Android) if I set my daily distance goal to 5 miles, the program will actually set it to 8 miles for the "today" portion of the app and on my Sense. It will show the same (8) on the fitbit.com dashboard. If I set my goal to 5 miles on the dashboard, everything looks correct on the dashboard, but my app (and all tracking) sets my goal to 3.11 miles. Oddly, this 3.11 mile goal actually makes the "today" portion of the app show the correct completion percentage out of 5. The other day I tried out some incremental changes to my goal to try to see what was happening. This is what I saw having moved a total distance of 6.04 miles at that point:

Goal set at 5.0

Weekly page: shows 5 as the goal and has a starred tape on the day with a completion of 6 miles.

Today page: shows 6.04 miles with ~75% completion.

Goal set at 3.75

Weekly page: shows 3.8 as the goal and has a starred tape with a completion of 6 miles.

Today page: Shows a completed goal and total of 6.04 miles.

Goal set at 4.0 miles

Weekly page: shows 4.0 as the goal and has a starred tape with a completion of 6 miles.

Today page: shows 6.04 miles and ~97% completion.

Hopefully there is something that can be done, but this has been going on for months now with my old versa and the sense. I had thought that it was associated with the beta testing so I brought it up to one of the teams, but it was not linked to a beta test. I have updated the app several times while this has been going on. At the suggestion of support, I did uninstall and reinstall the app on my phone, but that had no effect. 

Best Answer
60 REPLIES 60

Hi, @phrinda! I have escalated this with Fitbit, since I have noticed the same issue. I suspect there is a conversion somewhere in the software that has km/mi swapped. If I set my goal to 3.1 mi in the app (3.1 mi = 5 km), I get a notification on my tracker that I have hit my distance goal at 5 mi. It shows correctly in some locations and incorrectly in others.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

This is still occurring.  

It is off by quite a bit!

Best Answer

Off for me too. I do think there is definitely a conversion calculation off somewhere. If I put 4 mi as my daily goal, it shows 6 on my watch. It will give me the star in the distance screen if I hit 4 miles, but won't fill in the circle on the dashboard. It's been doing this for weeks.

I have tried logging out and back into the app, hard reset on my watch, force stop, and clear cache on app, uninstall and reinstall app, unlinked and relink watch to app, change milage goal to lower than higher, and vice versa, change settings from mi to km and back. 

No change. Very, very frustrating! 

Best Answer

I’ve seen something similar with a versa light, where I tried to get distance in km and it kept giving distance back in miles. It had to do with location and (Dutch)“maateenheden” (measurements?) . Suddenly the problem was vanished.

Community Council MemberMario Dings | Rotterdam NL
Fitbit: Versa, Versa2, Sense. (Versa light) - Phone: Android. - Developer clockfaces.(Nederlands)
Best Answer
0 Votes

That's what seems to be happening.  I have my phone app set for 4.5 miles (not km).   Today, my Sense watch stat says 5.26 mi with 1.98 remaining.  When I convert 4.5 mi to km - 7.24.  So, it's converting, but still calling it miles on the Sense watch.  What the heck?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same issue! Support chat told me today that it's because my Pixel 4a has not been tested by Fitbit yet. I find it very hard to believe that hardware is the issue (Android and Fitbit are up to date versions).

I never made the connection between 5 miles and 3.1 km, but it makes sense that there is a conversion issue going on in the program.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wfv5123 I have a 3a.  I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have tested the 3a/4a Google Pixels.  They've been out long enough. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer

The same thing is happening for me.  I just switched to Versa 2 - I use to have an old Alta.  This didn't happen with that, but it is happening with my Versa 2.  Though I have my goal set to 5 miles, the apps on my Android phone and on my computer say that my goal is 8.1 miles.  I have checked and I have my goal set to 5 miles - and all of my distance settings are set to miles.  As the others have noted, there seems to be an unwanted conversion going on between miles and kilometres.

Best Answer

I'm kinda new to this community. I don't see any confirmation from fitbit that they are working on this. How do we get fitbit to see these comments and acknowledge this issue?

Best Answer

@wfv5123 Welcome!  You won't see any confirmation - typically it's canned, standard replies that tell us to restart, reboot or that they'll look into it.  It's crazy how little is actually fixed with all of the complaints on these boards.  Google needs to step up now that they've bought them out.  I have a Google Pixel 3a.  My phone is not considered compatible with the Sense, but the Pixel and 4 are.  It's a joke.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@krob65 Thanks for your response. Hopefully Google steps up and increases support for fitbit devices. I've used Pixel phones (currently 4a) since inception and I'm on my fifth fitbit tracker/watch. Fitbit tech support is frustrating at best and a often a joke. I've started referring to case history for issues so that they don't keep repeating the same simple fixes that I've already tried on my own that never work anyway. There has to be a way to get in contact with advanced support instead of the first level "call screeners". I just haven't figured it out yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wfv5123 If you figure it out, that would be great!   I'm also having issues with the altimeter.  I went for a walk today - a little breezy - and it recorded 18 flights of stairs on flat terrain. They've told us on other threads that wind, even the A/C, can be an issue on extra flights.  It never was with my Charge2.  Crazy that they can't get this stuff fixed!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. I have mine set at 5 miles but it only shows complete after I finish 8 miles. I do have a newish Samsung S21 so their excuse that newer phones haven't been tested yet may be valid. But c'mon FitBit! Let's get on it! I have been doing extra miles on my treadmill every night just to see that goal completed, which is probably not a bad thing. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where's the fix, Fitbit?

Best Answer

seems it didn't get escalated high enough, still not fixed.  wtf with y'all?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Honestly, I've given up on fitbit support! How do you escalate an issue? I've tried email and phone contact. I just get the same old BS that they are working on the issue. They must have one person working on all issues. 😂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is a solution that might work (seemed to look for me):

Login into your fitbit account on a PC and go to dashboard.

Change the daily distance goal there.

Sync again with the app on your phone.

Best Answer
Makes sense if the phone app is where inadvertent conversion is happening.
However, I can't find how to change any goals on the web dashboard.
Best Answer
0 Votes