Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

@SunsetRunner, thank you for the added mention to your post. I think your solution is good for those who have Excel. For those using Google Sheets may want to refer to this StackOverflow post.

Alternatively, I am trying to make an even easier option for everyone with my Fitbit Data JSON to .csv File Converter. A .csv file will open beautifully in Excel. It is all done locally in your web browser, so your data is not sent anywhere!

Pulse Watch, export your Fitbit heart rate data
https://iccir919.github.io/pulseWatch/public/index.html
Best Answer

@iccir919  Thanks, that is incredibly useful! 

<grin> I now have too much data in a series of CSV files which is a massive improvement over having too much data in a series of JSON files </grin>

Best Answer
0 Votes

Now, do any of you very clever data people know how to concatenate a series of CSV files (excluding the top header row of course).  For me having all the time_in_heart_rate_zones set in one file with a row for each day would be great.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, utilizing the link below, can you export HR data?

https://www.fitbit.com/premium/export

I tried using the trial option. It did not give me the option to for HR data.

Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ArtemT wrote:

So, utilizing the link below, can you export HR data?

https://www.fitbit.com/premium/export

I tried using the trial option. It did not give me the option to for HR data.

Thanks. 

Heart rate data was never in the old export.  The link just gives people what they had before.

The request to include heart rate data got bundled into this change for Google so if you want heart rate data you have to use the new JSON files and one of the JSON to CSV converter options.

Best Answer

@ArtemTI'm happy with the HR link I posted earlier.  Gives me everything I want..  Keep in mind if you do a daily download you can get anywhere between  10,000 and 20,000 HR pulse points depending on your activity level.  I used Workout the other night to analyze my sleep HR and got an average of 26 pulse points/minute. Normal domestic I get about 7 point/minute.

Here is the link again.. and the example below is all finished in under 2 minutes just to have a look at the day, then home in on a period and create the spreadsheet.

https://iccir919.github.io/pulseWatch/public/index.html

@iccir919Thanks for the information... I will test tonight.. and this routine is perfect... for the way I use HR data.

HR 26nov18.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wait.. so the old export functionality is still available to premium users? (https://www.fitbit.com/premium/export)

@KateFitbit Will it be available for new premium-users as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Purple_Panda wrote:

Wait.. so the old export functionality is still available to premium users? (https://www.fitbit.com/premium/export)

@KateFitbit Will it be available for new premium-users as well?

Be careful, it may not be available to users in the United States.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge  I agree it looks very odd.. This is from the Australian end and only allowing Canada and United States as below.. 

I'm from the old school and it only takes a few minutes to update the Excel with the data we need personally.. and.. we have it... in black and white. we are in control and hopefully relaxed...

I appreciate the help coming from the forums and I will be testing and reporting back...

pay premium.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
Sounds like a good movie too...good luck; useful information.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I recall square brackets around the body of the file.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's a proof-of-concept web page (updated). Copy the text in the box below into a plain text file (eg, using Notepad) and save it as fitbit.html. Double-click on fitbit.html to view it in a web browser. Drag a single heart_rate-[date].json file onto the text on the web page. After a delay, you should be given a .CSV.

This is ONLY a proof-of-concept. It doesn't do multiple files (probably), it doesn't do other file types, it doesn't convert text fields (eg, dates) into useful values, it doesn't provide every field of data, it doesn't check anything, it's bland, it won't work in some browsers, etc. As it stands, it will not be useful. However, most of these issues can be overcome if there's a need.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
</head>
<body>
    <p>Drop a heart_rate-date.json file here:</p>
    <input id="dropZone" type="file" style="background-color: #777; width:300px; height: 100px;">
    <script>
        let downloadBtn = document.getElementById('downloadBtn');

function handleFileSelect(evt) {
          console.log("handleFileSelect()");
          evt.stopPropagation();
          evt.preventDefault();

let files = evt.dataTransfer.files;
          let reader = new FileReader();
          for (let i=0; i<files.length; i++) {
            console.log(i);
            let f = files[i];
            reader.onload = (function(theFile) {
                console.log("onload");
                return function(e) {
                    //if (window.navigator.msSaveOrOpenBlob)
                    let text = e.target.result;
                    let obj = JSON.parse(text);
                    let csv="";
                    for (var reading=0; reading<obj.length; reading++)
                        csv += obj[reading].dateTime+","+obj[reading].value.bpm+"\n";
                    // TODO format time as "2018-11-21 19:01:55"
                    var blob = new Blob([csv], {type:'text/csv'});
                    download(blob,"heart_rate.csv");
                };
            })(f);
            reader.readAsText(f);
          }
        }

function download(blob, filename) {
            console.log("msSaveOrOpenBlob="+window.navigator.msSaveOrOpenBlob);
            if (window.navigator.msSaveOrOpenBlob) {
                window.navigator.msSaveOrOpenBlob(blob,"heart_rate.csv");
            }
            let a = document.createElement("a");
            let url = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
            a.href=url;
            a.download="heart_rate.csv";
            document.body.appendChild(a);
            a.click();
            setTimeout(function() {
                document.body.removeChild(a);
                window.URL.revokeObjectURL(url);
            },0);
        }

function handleDragOver(evt) {
          //console.log("handleDragOver()");
          evt.stopPropagation();
          evt.preventDefault();
          evt.dataTransfer.dropEffect = 'copy';
        }

// Set up drag-and-drop listeners:
        console.log("setting up handlers");
        let dropZone = document.getElementById('dropZone');
        dropZone.addEventListener('dragover', handleDragOver, false);
        dropZone.addEventListener('drop', handleFileSelect, false);
        console.log("handlers set");
    </script>
</body>
</html>
Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

I have a feeling that the export link that people are trying is just a leftover from

the old premium that Fitbit is winding down. I would not be
subscribing to it without confirmation from Fitbit that it is supported. 
The premium subscription is gone for many users. Certainly, outside the US. 
My subscription ended in Nov. For 4 months, the trainer portion wasn't working.
It just crashed each time I tried to access it. They told me over and over again
that they were looking into it. Of course, they had intention of addressing the issue,
because they are winding down the service.

So the export link is just a page left active. But it's not linked back to the main website.
If you click the purchase, they will take your money, but there is no guarantee that the facility
will remain live. And you will have a hell of a job getting a refund. So don't do it....

Best Answer

I was able to sign up for Premium.  Thank you for the heads up.  Fitbit seems to be expanding its functionality and not always coordinating with Customer Service.  Fingers Crossed that Premium continues to be supported.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gagunder You signed up for Coach? That is what Fitbit are now calling Premium. But it's a different service. They are rebranding Coach (on some pages). If I click on premium, I'm brought to the Fitbit Coach page. They have caused so much confusion over this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there a way to make the downloaded data usable....like in Excel?  Or Delete it so it doesn't take up so much space on my hard drive?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm a software developer, and I have no desire to join and parse all these JSON files to arrive at the simpler data I was easily able to export before. Please bring back the "export to excel or csv" capability we had before.

Best Answer

It doesn't seem to be the case that the fitbit developers is reading these.  But if they are, just a note to say that I'm throwing away my fitbit and looking into other options.  Also closing down my participation in this thread.  It's just too depressing.  

Best Answer

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

@eglons@nightowl1016@Purple_Panda we’ve decided to stop accepting new Premium subscriptions a while back so not sure why that link shared is letting you join. I would not recommend joining in order to get data export now. Please stay tuned to this thread for updates.  

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

@KateFitbit wrote:

@eglons@nightowl1016@Purple_Panda we’ve decided to stop accepting new Premium subscriptions a while back so not sure why that link shared is letting you join. I would not recommend joining in order to get data export now. Please stay tuned to this thread for updates.  

@KateFitbit, I think when I clicked the link that was shared it automatically gave me a free one-week trial. While I didn't signup and pay for premium, the trial did let me download my recent data just like the old method did. So, it appears it is still accessible the old way. The big question is whether FitBit will make this available to everyone (without a trial or signing up for something that is obsolete) or if we are going to be forced into the new method (perhaps, with a new Data Export tool to which you have alluded).

Best Answer
0 Votes