Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

Not only is getting the data this way stupid, but looking through the files I don't even get most of the data for every day, just one day a month. Where is the rest of my data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@davidgm1 wrote:

This change severely limits the usability of the fitbit  tracker and app.

I need to be able to download as an excel or csv. file on a frequent basis.

The change is extremely user hostile and offers no benefit to the user. 

This degradation of the capability exhibits a detachment from and disinterest in the actual customer.

I urge fitbit to reconsider this deterioration in service and return to functionality.

This pretty much sums it up.

what a fiasco.

fitbit truly incompetent.

only think I would add is the previous export data dialogue was deficient as well - you couldn't even download activity type and associated metrics so one could import into a spreadsheet and compare, say, all runs, or all cycles.

Best Answer

only think I would add is the previous export data dialogue was deficient as well - you couldn't even download activity type and associated metrics so one could import into a spreadsheet and compare, say, all runs, or all cycles.

Its not just the data export that is deficient the whole end to end integration of the devices, mobile app, dashboard and data export is a mess. It's like they outsourced each bit to a different outfit and nobody talked to each other to ensure it all worked seamlessly.  Jonathan Oakes the SVP, Product really has a lot to answer for

Pete

Best Answer

Definitely unusable because the on demand exporting is downloading the Lifetime data each time..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Hi

The company that I work for supply the employees with a Garmin tracker.  Since I received my fitbit last Christmas I have used the export system in the Fitbit to take my steps from the Fitbit to import into the Garmin.  This has been extremely easy with the interface that is supplied.  We run weekly step challenges and that is why I export a weeks steps at a time.  With the file that has just downloaded for me it does not even have my steps for this week.  The .json file that is there for steps is a month at a time.  As the challenge finishes on a weekly basis I can no longer take part in the challenge!  I work in an environment where the engineers could easily help me with the .json files but I don't think that it is worth trying given there is no file for November!! 

Really not liking this change!!!!!

Best Answer

Came here for the frothy angry comments and you guys did not disappoint.

Well done.

Oh and Fitbit : seriously put the monthly export back - that was all kinds of stupid.

Best Answer

Whoa there, pay for MY data. Not a chance.

Best Answer

Hello Pete / doubletop:  Per your comment about prior disparity between integration of the devices, mobile app, dashboard, and data export --- yes, that is an excellent point that applies regardless of the debate over the new format or old format.  Case in point: on my mobile app there is a useful statistic under the daily heart rate chart named "Time in Exercise Zones".  And yet I cannot find this statistic on the dashboard or in the old (xls) data export. Within the old (xls) data export there were four fields which one might assume would add up to correspond: Minutes Lightly Active, Minutes Fairly Active, and Minutes Very Active.  And yet the total, or any variation of what appeared in these fields did not correspond to the "Time in Exercise Zones" in the mobile app (my Samsung tablet). I like that statistic because it is not affected by workout or exercise entries -- just driven by HR.  I bet you have other examples of differences too. Yep, it is like they had separated developers.  We sure hope they make improvements (add fields), while preserving continuity for what customers had depended upon. 

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner the paid version will not help with downloading your data.

It gets you a few more bells and whistles like a topographic of where the user stands in relation to the others users of their age and gender. 

@Colinm39 I had the file fail to download after an hour and had to wait 24 hours before I could try again.

This time the download took less than 3 minutes. 

Here is a sample of the heart rate, I noticed a confidence rating.

[{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:58:50", "value" : { "bpm" : 56, "confidence" : 2 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:00", "value" : { "bpm" : 57, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:10", "value" : { "bpm" : 59, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:20", "value" : { "bpm" : 60, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:35", "value" : { "bpm" : 60, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:40", "value" : { "bpm" : 61, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 06:59:55", "value" : { "bpm" : 61, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 07:00:00", "value" : { "bpm" : 62, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 07:00:10", "value" : { "bpm" : 63, "confidence" : 1 } },{ "dateTime" : "12/24/14 07:00:25", "value" : { "bpm" : 63, "confidence" : 1 }

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Perhaps @KateFitbit is not reading the messages in this thread . . .   The new format is not acceptable to most people trying to get their data.  What about the people that are not technical to parse json files for the data that they want.

I don't want the data from the first step that I took - I want selection of my data that I want to see.  Give us back the interface we need for getting our selected data . . . I for one do not care about "improvements" on a system that is not usable anymore.  The fact that this change was made without any announcement  (I did not receive any) speaks very loudly as to what fitbit thinks of the customers of their products . . . (of course Marketing will continue to tell us what we need).

You ( @KateFitbit ) speak of a "tool" - what tool?  All I see is a "Data Dump" that leaves tooling to the user to figure out.
Your "how do I export my data" implies that the user has a choice as to what data they can export . . .  Does not seem to be the case!

Syphus

Best Answer

@syphus I do hear you. I understand that people are looking for the old data export experience or tool and can assure you this feedback has been passed on. My post is not just a response and that's that. I can assure you that all of this has been passed on to the team and I will continue to update the thread as I hear more. 

Best Answer

Do not like this new format at all.  We report our results to receive discounts on our insurance and I cannot submit this new format.

Best Answer

@KateFitbitThanks for posting.. But the big issue is having to download a Lifetime of history every time we download. 

Also as @Rich_Laue points out.... the confidence level for the heart rate data.  What does that signify.?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

I am extremely disappointed with this change.  It is not user friendly and does not allow for a lay person to get the data.  Many of us are using the data to meet wellness requirements, discussions with our health professionals, and track achievements.  I may have to research a different tracker for the next year because I cannot get the data.

Best Answer

Having the ability to easily download and supply trainers/nutritionists with information in a simple format was the reason for staying with fitbit for so many years.  If I can't easily supply a week of data at a time I will need to make a change.  Please change this back.

Best Answer

I appreciate this response, and hope for a quick resolution to this problem. Thank you for being the go-between. 

I can see how Fitbit coders who are bouncing information off of each other in an echo chamber could end up thinking that this change would be an improvement; but, for us mere-mortals, expecting us to learn to how to code and/or use esoteric applications so that we can view our data is unacceptable. Not to mention that the Fitbit customers who have thus far replied to this thread - and who appear to be egghead coders themselves - can't find a way to use their data dump. Fail, fail, and fail.

Having the option to download more than a month's worth of data at a time would be nice, but not vital (I could always download as much history as I want, albeit in 30 day increments); and it's certainly not worth it at the expense of this mess. Also, my now-worthless data download was 486mb(!!) So, replacing the limitation of a maximum of 30 days data download with this "all history or nothing" option isn't going to work for this fella. No way am I going to want to re-download this size of a file 30 days from now - even if I could get it to work. 

I can't speak to whatever other "improvements" were supposed to be included with this change. Because, ya know, my now-useless data is, ya know, useless, so I really have no idea. As best as I can tell, this change is like replacing a car that just needs a tune-up with a unicycle. Better than walking if you're a unicycle expert, I guess, but not real handy if someone else needs to get somewhere, too. Thanks for understanding.

Best Answer

@KateFitbit like the many others who have posted here, I think this new version of data export is a significant step backwards. From my customer support background, when updates cause more problems than they create, they get backed out. It appears it has been several days since this change was implemented and the number of dissatisfied users is continuing to increase (presumably as more and more people attempt their monthly downloads). While I appreciate you are bringing our comments to the 'powers that be,' it should not take this long to back out a failed change. Now, if you are receiving even more feedback that this is a successful change, or there is some other reason outweighing your customer base's significant dissatisfaction, and is convincing those 'powers' that this change should remain in place, please share that here. I doubt this is the case. And if it is not the case, please back out the change now, and try to implement what you were shooting for another way and, preferably, with some warning. It appears you have dozens of users just in this post who would be willing to help you test it next time before it rolls out.

Best Answer

@nightowl1016 wrote:

@KateFitbit like the many others who have posted here, I think this new version of data export is a significant step backwards. From my customer support background, when updates cause more problems than they create, they get backed out. It appears it has been several days since this change was implemented and the number of dissatisfied users is continuing to increase (presumably as more and more people attempt their monthly downloads). .................

It beggar’s belief that they haven't reverted to the original download given the fallout around this change. Adding another button to the download page which brings up the original dialogue wouldn't be rocket science and a far more sensible interim solution.

Tim Rosa (Chief Marketing Officer) where are you? Why one of the Fitbit dev team can't front up and offer some sort of explanation and advise what they are planning may help defuse the situation in some way. Total silence just becomes an indicator of confusion and incompetence in the Fitbit camp. Something that must be badly affecting your brand image.

Pete

Best Answer

I've been locked out of doing a download for 5 days as I had changed some of my profile data. I've just given it a go.

• Selected download data, and get a note to check my email.
  • Email recieved "Your export has begun"
  • Checked email and verified my email address
  • Email recieved "Your expert has completed" to tell me my data was ready for download.
  • "Download My Data" button selected in email which took me to the download page and

Download.JPG

WTF!!

Pete

Best Answer