Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resolved: Changes to Data Export tool

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update 11/30/2018: This issue has been resolved and I'll be closing it from further responses. 

Fitbit Update 11/28/2018: The old data export tool is now back and available for use. You can now choose which way you would like to export your data going forward. If you would like to access the old tool, please go here and select "if you would like to use the old data export tool click here" under Export My Fitbit Data. 

If you have any issues, please let me know. Thanks for your patience and reports! 

Fitbit Update 11/27/2018: Happy Tuesday! Just a heads up that we hope to have an update soon on the Data Export tool. I'll continue to update the thread this week. 

Fitbit Update 11/20/2018: While I don't have an update today, I can assure you that your feedback is being heard. One note, if you contact our support team, they will not be able to supply additional details, but I will continue to update this thread as I know more. We do appreciate the feedback.

Fitbit Update 11/16/2018:  Hi Everyone, here's an update on the recent changes to the export tool:

With the recent improvements to our tool, you can now export your Fitbit data, starting from your first step with Fitbit.

You can also access new data for download, such as heart-rate data, exercise logs, and your activity in the Fitbit community. For more information, see How do I export my data?

We understand that some customers are having difficulty interpreting their data in the new download format. We’ll continue to add features and make improvements based on your feedback.

Thank you all for your input in the thread. Our team will continue to monitor this thread and I'll let you know when I have further updates. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
384 REPLIES 384

This new format is of no use to me at all. I am trying to understand who would prefer this new export method and how it would be more useful than the previous version. Why not provide both options? Is there a timeline for a resolution. 

Best Answer

Kate this thread has dozens and dozens of people complaining that cvs/excel format disappeared, and this json output is a useless unless you're a serious programmer. Why the cheerful general  announcement that everyone can download their Fitbit data, in this thread, without addressing the problem?

Best Answer

@KateFitbit who can we contact to campaign for the firing of the highest-ranking person who authorized, planned and executed the new Data Export function to replace the existing tool?  That person is so out of touch with your customers that you really want to separate them from product development and the company as quickly as possible.

Best Answer

A very disappointing change - an "improvement" that removes the main reason I use FitBit.

I use this feature to monitor and manage my recovery from serious illness.

Please give us, at the minimum, the ability to download the last months data in the xls format.

The new format appears to be designed for programmers not users

Best Answer

@raparks wrote:

@KateFitbit who can we contact to campaign for the firing of the highest-ranking person who authorized, planned and executed the new Data Export function to replace the existing tool?  That person is so out of touch with your customers that you really want to separate them from product development and the company as quickly as possible.

Take your pick https://www.fitbit.com/about my money is on Jonathan Oakes SVP, Product.

It shouldn't be too hard to make a guess at the email address structure...

Pete

Best Answer

It's a pity a weekend has held any reply from Fitbit, but 7 pages of posts in 3 days  is a great measure to activate another response from Fitbit.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

It is completely worthless.  I could previously download just the data I wanted into a csv file that I could open in excel and provide graphs etc. for myself and my doctor.  I have no idea what a json file is or how to read it, nor do I need all the excess information.  I don't need all of my data EVER, just the data from the last time I downloaded, but all of that is irrelevant if I can't read the downloaded files.  With this new "advance", I  will never buy another fitbit and when my current one dies, I am finding another brand.  This is a terrible business model if you want to keep loyal customers.  If there is a way to read these data easily, PLEASE tell us how!

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Welcome to the Forums @nendyrn.

Could you share some details as to how the export changed for you? I'd like to gather all feedback possible as we are always looking  for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience.

Seems to me that this is pretty obvious - we want the CSV exports we used to have so that we can import them into spreadsheets. The changes make what should be a simple task far more time-consuming.

Losing the ability to select the export dates is a HUGE loss. Having to download my entire Fitbit history every week is beyond ridiculous.

Best Answer

@ancSTAC1 wrote:

Did anyone else notice the change in exporting your data?  Now you have to request the data, wait for it to be emailed to you as a link, and then when you download it, it's a .JSON file.

There isn't an option to select dates to request the data from.

Any suggestions on how to work with this? This isn't user friendly.

Just noticed this. I used to download weekly. Really makes me wonder what Fitbit was thinking. JSON for consumers makes no sense at all. Totally agree with above re: firing an executive who is so out of touch with consumer base.

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Could you share some details as to how the export changed for you? I'd like to gather all feedback possible as we are always looking  for ways to improve the overall Fitbit experience.

@LanuzaFitbit - Feel free to read my post number 96 in this thread.

Please pay particular note of the lack of standards and the huge of amount of nutritional data missing from the food logs, etc.

RETIRED Enterprise Computing / "IT Guy" - Southern California - Marine Staff Sergeant 1970-78
Apple Watch 6 - iPhone 8 (iOS 16.6) - FitBit app 3.87 - MacBook Air (macOS Catalina)
Best Answer

I'm now questioning the accuracy of the download HR data.  I'm analyzing low HR while asleep.

Also I'm getting confidence levels of 0 thru 3 now on the data. You will notice Pulse Watch has the seconds within the minute which made this analysis possible,, @iccir919 for you information.

The BPM are 30 higher on the exported data and only 1 exported item in the range of PW and SL, not even the 39 bpm shown on the Fitbit graph at 4.27:39am

At this stage I want answers as to "why the data doesn't match", even when I encapsulated on the Activity log I get a result = to SL and PW..  Fitbit's data........!!!!!!

This example shows you

• Data from Pulse Watch (PW)
  • Data from The Squash League (SL)
  • A matching segment of data from the Fitbit Exported File
  • A graph generated from my Fitbit Activity Log showing the same segment of data from PW and SL and it matches the data profile exactly

data error fitbit.jpg

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Has anybody else tried to do the survey that pops up? I get to the end and select "Not Satisfied" I then get

We value your feedback.
The survey could not be submitted

Its happened twice now

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

Further to my HR data errors earlier I think it's a day shift problem..

The HR data shows me with HR from 112 to 123 at about 2 and 3 in the early morning. on another day..

So now I'm trying to home in on that error....

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Colinm39 wrote:

The HR data shows me with HR from 112 to 123 at about 2 and 3 in the early morning. on another day..

Colin

You are in OZ the heart rate data is GMT.  See MRMarvs post #96. Maybe that's the problem?

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerThanks for that..

Your post came in just as I found a string of high heart HR rates matching the same string on my Workout.on the same Calendar day..

11 hours difference, definitely GMT.. The Exported data shows the string at 8:22am and my Workout is 7:22pm.

The SquashLeague and PulseWatch have it correct....

Thanks @MrMarv. I have just confirmed.. Using the old fashion ware of pecking at the data... %$#@! pain, but it worked..

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@Colinm39 wrote:

Colin

You are in OZ the heart rate data is GMT.  See MRMarvs post #96. Maybe that's the problem?

Pete

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why would fitbit change the data export process and format, especially to such a bad one?

I am never interested in the entirety of my progress, only a certain period at the time. It takes ages to download the actual data and the steps seem so unnecessary, compared to the process before. Why do we need to confirm that we request the data? We are already logged in to dashboard, so what is the purpose of this extra email? Security-wise, cannot think what useful information anyone would get from the amount of calories I've burnt! And last but not least - THE FORMAT - why?! I've just spent an hour trying to work out how to open the JSON file with excel, but the Microsoft instructions are extremely unhelpful and out of date. Thanks fitbit, I now cannot get the information I need and cannot utilise the tracker the way I intended to - and I've just bought the new charge 3!

Other than this thread, is there anywhere else we can communicate this to the developers? Survey, suggestion thread or direct email?

Best Answer

Without Excel or CSV data export there is no point.  Cannot even open and see the new format.

Best Answer

In the past I could just export my data for the past week and I had some Excel macro code which formatted this data just the way I wanted to see it.  Now Fitbit has changed the way this data is exported so I can no longer easily do this.  This is a serious backward step - please put the data export back the way it was!!!

Best Answer

I have to agree with the rest.  My wife and I started with the Fitbit ones and have had many fitbits now with the VERSA.  I used to download my data every 1-2 weeks and had a spreadsheet for monitoring my trends.  Trying to download my data I ended up with a 87MB zip file and a plethora of json files that will take me more work to extract the weeks worth of data I want.  I understand having the ability to download all of your data at once could be nice (if you were getting caught up), but the data format is not user friendly.  I would prefer to have the option for the previous format where you can select what you want and download that and have the option for a large download when needed.  This really seems to be an attempt to fix a problem that didn't exist and does not empower the customer to use their data.  If this is the direction Fitbit wants to go, then it may be time for me to examine another fitness tracker.

Best Answer

I am a computer programmer... i am shocked you would choose this as the only method to deliver data.... i can understand it as a alternative option, i mean i love data... but having just this.. a raw data dump... You really do not understand your user base, do you think every one who uses fitbit is a programmer with knowledge of how to import Json files?

Yes i could parse these files in with a couple hours of work, but i wont get paid for it and its not what i paid for when i wanted a way to monitor my self when i brought into Fitbit, i want a simple to use service as i would provide for my customers.

If a client of mine had a data export tool they used every day and then i decided to just dump a load of raw data on them and tell them "here it is, enjoy" i would be out of a job. How was this even put into a live environment and thought of as being okay? 

Its not an improvement if you are providing an inferior service, if this is the first step onto the next stage where you provide some wonderful export tool, then thats a good thing!... but at least wait till thats ready to go live before doing this... you are just destroying trust and confidence in your product

I can only imagine this is a way to get people to subscribe to the premium package where you will nicely provide this data...which by the way wont work as this is the internet and some one will just provide a free one with this data to shove it in your face...

Regardless if this doesn't change any time soon i will look at other fitness trackers, my device is two years old and i am thinking about upgrading.... i suspect i am not alone

Best Answer