Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to Twitter

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I attempt to connect to Twitter I receive the following error message.

"Callback URL not approved for this client application. Approved callback URLs can be adjusted in your application settings"

Twitter support offers the following as a way of resolving the issue.

https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/basics/developer-portal/guides/callback-urls.html

Callback URLs

You can make adjustments to your callback URL via the "Apps" page in the developer portal.

Sign in with Twitter allows developers to access Twitter content in order to make it easy for their users to sign in with just a few clicks. Developers use callback URLsas part of this integration in order to provide directions on where a user should go after signing in with their Twitter credentials.

As part of our continued effort to ensure safety and security on the Twitter developer platform, any developer using Sign in with Twitter must explicitly declare their callback URLs in a whitelist on the "Apps" page in the developer portal. This means that if the callback_url parameter used with the oauth/request_tokenendpoint isn't whitelisted, you will receive an error.

Best Practices

When you are setting up your callback URLs, there are a few things that you should keep in mind:

Need more than 10 callback URLs?
There is a hard limit of 10 callback URLs in the Twitter apps dashboard. Please make sure to combine your callback URLs into a single address and use query strings in your oauth/request_token request.

Do not add query strings to your callback URLs in your Twitter app’s configuration
Twitter will allow you to pass any standard query strings along with your callback URL in your oauth/request_token request. Therefore, we do not allow you to add query strings to the end of the callback URL that you list in the Twitter apps dashboard.
Example:

Don’t use localhost as a callback URL
Instead of using localhost, please use a custom host locally or http(s)://127.0.0.1.

Make sure to add these if you are using Twitter Kit
If you use Twitter Kit for iOS or Android, you will have to use the following callback URLs:

• Android - twittersdk://
  • iOS - twitterkit-CONSUMERKEY://

Mobile apps with app-specific protocols must use just the protocol
Example:

• You want to use example://authorize as your callback URL
    • Add this to both your Twitter app dashboard and your call to oauth/request_token: example://

Error Example

If you use a callback URL that hasn't been whitelisted, you will receive the following error message:

HTTP 403 - Forbidden

{
  "errors":
    [
      {"code":415,"message":"Callback URL not approved for this client application. Approved callback URLs can be adjusted in your application settings."}
    ]
  }

OR

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<hash>
<error>Callback URL not approved for this client application. Approved callback URLs can be adjusted in your application settings</error>
<request>/oauth/request_token</request>
</hash>

If you do receive this error message, please check the URL that you are using with the callback_url parameter in your oauth/request_token call and make sure that this URL has been whitelisted in your Twitter app settings in the developer portal.

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

@RJohnson64 Welcome! Thanks for being part of our Community! Sorry to hear that you can't link your twitter account with your Fitbit account. Thank you for sharing this information from Twitter itself. I would like to know where are you seeing this error. Try using a different web browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Also clear the cache and cookies and retry the process.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well, I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and Opera on a Win 10 platform at the
Fitbit.com site. From the dashboard I go to 'settings' and then
'sharing'. When I click on 'Link to Twitter' I get the message.

Clearing the cache/history has no affect on the issue.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried Chrome, Firefox, and Opera, all on the Win 10 platform.  The error persists, even after clearing cache and cookies.

From the Dashboard to go to 'Settings' > 'Sharing', and when I click on "Link To Twitter" the error immediately pops up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @RJohnson64.

Thanks for sharing that information with us.

I'd like to let you know that our team is aware of this situation and it is being looked into. As soon as we have anything to share on the matter we will be letting everyone know about it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Let me know if there are any other questions I can help you with.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes