Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

app stuck on upgrading database

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've got a Fitbit Zip, which is synced to my iPad 3rd Gen. For the past two days when I get home from a walk and try syncing, all I get is a blank screen with the words "Upgrading database. This step requires an internet connection. "
My wifi is working fine. I'm online, so I don't understand why the app is 'frozen' with that screen.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I finally got everything back to normal by uninstalling the Fitbit app on my iPad and reinstalling it. 
Everything is back to normal now. I'm a happy walker. 🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

I finally got everything back to normal by uninstalling the Fitbit app on my iPad and reinstalling it. 
Everything is back to normal now. I'm a happy walker. 🙂

Best Answer

I just got an email from Fitbit with this question:

[quote]Did one of these responses provide the answer you needed?[/quote]

I solved the problem myself, so I suppose I'm supposed to click on 'Accept as Solution', which I will do. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just had the exact same thing on my Samsung S10. With Android however I simply force stopped the fitbit app from the app settings area and this stopped the perpetual notification of the Fitbit app updating. When i reopened the fitbit app I had to re-sign in but afterwards all was back to normal. Slightly fewer steps than a full re-installation but not many. 

Best Answer

Same problem with my Fitbit 3 and App on my Samsung mobile! Did you loose your history after uninstalling and re-installing?

Best Answer

With the force stop and re-opening the app (Not fully uninstalling) i haven't lost any history but I hadn't synced for a while. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting that this issue is appearing on a number of different devices within the same timeframe. Sounds like a Fitbit server/cloud issue. I have an OPPO A9 2020 'tied' to my Charge 3 which is my backup phone until I can afford to get the cracked screen on my Huawei P20 Pro fixed. The latter is 'tied' to my Mother's Alta HR and does not have this issue. I did a 'force stop' and did not even have to sign on again after restarting the app. No history appears to be lost.

Best Answer
Thank you.

How do you do a 'forced stop'?
Best Answer

Not familiar with Samsung devices so this is a generic Android answer. Go to Settings > Apps > Fitbit. There you will find a range of options. Typically when an app is playing up, the least risk option within the above settings screen is Storage > CLEAR CACHE which just clears temporary files related to the app. With this issue that had no effect so I followed the advice in this thread and selected FORCE STOP which is usually fairly prominent next to the UNINSTALL option. I, of course, cannot guarantee the outcome but this resolution appears to be working one way or another with many users.

Best Answer

I opened up the app and let it go in the background for about 2 hours. The message still displayed after two hours so I restarted my phone, reopened the app, performed manual sync and everything seems fine.

Best Answer

I had the same problem with my Fitbit Charge 3 attached to a Samsung Note 7.  A restart on the phone cleared the problem with no loss of data.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you. Problem solved!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had this issue on a Samsung Note 9 - restarted the device and re-opened Fitbit, only to be greeted with the same "Upgrading database" message! Fortunately this only lasted a few seconds this time around and then the app opened normally.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just thought I'd add a line to say I had this too - Charge 3 and MotoG7. A force stop on the app solved the problem with nothing lost. Settings -> Apps -> Fitbit -> 'Force Stop'
To be fair, I force stopped the app twice before I checked. Maybe the first time worked, I'll never know... 😛

Best Answer
0 Votes

Force-stop did the trick for me, too.  No need to reinstall. Back to normal in seconds. Samsung Galaxy S9.

Best Answer

Force Stop worked perfectly. Thanks so much for posting!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not smart with tech. Please can you tell me how you force stopped the app, in detail please so I can manage it. Thank you so much

Best Answer
I just re- download the app, dumped the older one and reinstalled
Best Answer
0 Votes

Settings -> Apps -> Fitbit -> 'Force Stop'

Best Answer

I've just had the same problem for the past few days. I simply restarted my Samsung S10 and all back to normal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes